PDA

View Full Version : VIN check- How do I...?

StellaLupus
31-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Ok, I have a vague suspicion that the "new" (new-used) engine that was put into my car might not have actually been put in. In other words, I suspect that the engine in my Bug in not "new" but that it is the same engine that the mechanic told me I blew up.
(Hit a pot hole while lost, tore open the oil pan and supposedly fried the engine in the span of 2.5 miles.)
What I've been trying to figure out is how to tell if it's the same engine or not. I know there is a code on the engine block but that doesn't mean anything to me since I don't know what the original code was. In fact I have no idea if there is any way to find out what it was.
Shouldn't there be a way to find out what engine number was put into my car when if first rolled off the assembly line? :1zhelp:
Thanks. :)

chrisvrscrx
31-07-2007, 12:24 AM
In the UK the engine number is written on the log book I don't know what this is called in the states but basically the piece of paper that shows who the owner of the car is. Is it called the pink slip there?? (think I remember that from a film) So you could cross refer the number from your slip to the one on your engine, if you can find it. Alternatively you could call VW Customer Services USA and maybe they could tell you.
Hope this helps.

StellaLupus
31-07-2007, 12:45 AM
Thank you. :) I have checked every slip of paper I got when I purchased the car and all I can find is the VIN from off of the dash. Unfortunately, if there ever was a log book of any kind, it got lost along the way while the car was being passed from person to person like some kind of "hot potato." I will try the last suggestion though. Hopefully they will have something that will help. :)
Thanks again.