PDA

View Full Version : s8 low coolant

dan256
30-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Hello,

I went to have a look at a 2000 (x reg) S8 today. The test drive was fine, no knocks, gearbox has smooth and did not hesitate and the steering was straight with no pulling.

However I noticed that when I accelerated hard the coolant symbol came up on the dash display and it beeped. The seller said the coolant must be low, sure enough when we lifetd the bonnet the coolant level was about 15mm below the min mark. The engine temperature light had not come on and the gauge was about 1/2 way.

I checked the oil filler cap - no water in the oil and there was no white smoke from the exhaust. - so I am assuming that the coolant was not finding its way into the cylinders.

The seller had the big 80k mile service done 1 year ago (cambelt/waterpump tensioner etc). The coolant would have been replaced when the water pump was changed, so does anyone have any idea why it would be low. I suppose one possible option is that it was never filled correctly at the service?

I just wonder if anyone knew if this is a common fault with these engines (4.2 40 valve 360hp V8) It put me off the car a bit- what do others think?

Thanks for any info anyone has!!!

Lex Luthor
31-07-2007, 04:12 AM
I have just replaced my third radiator on a VAG car recently, it seems to be a weak point.
The leak is usually small and initially does not result in any drips.
However, an S8 is a bit of a beast to bet that there is such a simple solution.
I would walk away and find another.