PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Queues on Google Earth maps

ianfarnham
19-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Has anyone noticed the traffic queues marking in google Earth maps are on the wrong side of the road? the Traffic jam/roadworks triangle symbol is correct but the hatching along the road is on the wrong carriageway of motorways / dual carriageways - as if it thinks you drive on the right? I know others have reported instructions to drive around roundabouts the wrong may but mine if ok for this - also the standard map (ie non google is correct).

Anyone else seen this yet and what is the fix?

nealeb
20-03-2012, 04:42 PM
I've never used the data services and therefore Google Earth maps in my car. Are they more accurate/timely than the TrafficMaster-driven standard mapping warnings ("wrong side of road" notwithstanding!)?

Piddles
20-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Not sure exactly waht you mean, but have you tried Google Maps (without the earth).

I use the traffic function on that quite often on my Android phone. Vital on frequent trips round the M25! Not bad for a free service.

MFGF
20-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Not sure exactly waht you mean, but have you tried Google Maps (without the earth).

I use the traffic function on that quite often on my Android phone. Vital on frequent trips round the M25! Not bad for a free service.

It's a feature on the 3G+ MMI High with Data Services, so it displays on the MMI screen not on the phone. Once the days finish crawling by and we get to the end of April, I will be able to see it for myself! :)

MF.

ianfarnham
20-03-2012, 10:45 PM
The navigation function is the same - and hence routes etc - but you see a google "satellite" view of where you are - fields, woods, hedgerows and all rather than a straightforward road map. Its just different rather than additional functionality. I'm pretty sure the traffic data is fgrom the same source in UK.

Other European countries get to use traffic data sourced from location of Audi cars (and their progress in traffic) but this enhanced level of data appears not to be available in UK - its described in the manual - I'll check what it is called.

nealeb
21-03-2012, 09:31 PM
That sounds a bit like a service that Tomtom offers, where they collect, collate and rebroadcast traffic data in terms of effective road speed from contributing users. Makes sense, as long as the information can be properly used by the routing algorithms. Don't have any experience of the Tomtom service myself as I use an elderly Garmin on my motorbike but you can see that it could help.

All you iPhone users will have to do is break your phone to enable the data services via RSAP if the service does arrive in the UK:)

Timothy Nathan
21-03-2012, 10:13 PM
If only it were so simple. I've pretty much given up on that, it was so flaky.

nealeb
22-03-2012, 09:58 AM
If only it were so simple. I've pretty much given up on that, it was so flaky.

Timothy - is that the iPhone or the Tomtom service you are talking about?

Only pulling your leg - my new Samsung Galaxy is supposed to be delivered today:)