PDA

View Full Version : Instructions for Getting iPhone Working with High Telephone and data Services

Timothy Nathan
16-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Following a 20 page thread on the A7 forum, it seemed right to move across to the A6, the home of most people who have the problem.

UPDATE: The rest of this post must now be read with a pinch of salt. Everything works fine until you lose signal, or sometimes just go from 3G to 2G, then everything goes to pot. The developer is now saying that his software may not work with Audis and Porsches. Watch this space, but don't invest much time or effort for the moment.

Following a great deal of effort by gbjk I can now report how to get an iPhone working fully and properly with the High Telephone Preparation with Data Services.

You can read about this here (http://www.jens-david-consulting.com/en/home-en/12-category-en/category-products-en/24-rsapserver-en). Note that the iPhone 4S is not yet supported, only the 3G, 3GS and 4. You might find it easier to follow the instructions on that web-page, but those below are a bit more Audi specific. Probably best to read both before you do anything.

This is a recipe, you must follow every step, though you need not understand it.

Using your current "normal" Bluetooth connection, export your phonebook to an SD card. For the time being, the operating system on your iPhone should be 5.0.1. To check this, go to Settings/General/About. There probably will be a solution for 5.1 along shortly, but not yet. Log into Windows as Administrator or with administrator rights Plug your iPhone into the PC (this may all work on a Mac, I don't know.) On the Windows PC, Go to http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ and, about two pages down find the link redsn0w 0.9.10b6 for Windows, download that file. Run it in Windows, choose the Jailbreak button. You will see some alarmingly complex button presses to be done on the two buttons on the iPhone. Read them through so that you are ready to follow them (it's so many seconds on Home, then so many seconds on power, or whatever). You will have no chance of doing it correctly unless you are prepared. Install Cydia Only Disconnect the iPhone from the PC, you are now done with the PC, the rest is on the phone. Make sure that you are online (WiFi or 3G, doesn't matter.) Open the new Cydia App - Choose Developer Click on Manage/Sources/Edit/Add Enter http://www.jens-david-consulting.com/repo Choose the trial licence - if all goes well, you will need to buy the full licence within 10 days. Return to Cydia. Reboot the iPhone using the full reboot (ie hold down both buttons until you get the Apple symbol.) Go into Settings/General and switch Bluetooth off. (I am not sure if this is necessary, but it does no harm.) Back into main Settings you should find two new icons on the main page, BTStack and RSAP Server. On mine they are between the built in Apps, such as Safari and Store, and the bought Apps. Go into BTStack and switch on BTStack (the other option allows you to revert to normal vanilla Bluetooth.) Go into RSAP and set everything on except Fix reopen and Record Log. For a full explanation of all the settings go here (http://www.jens-david-consulting.com/en/products-en/12-category-en/category-products-en/24-rsapserver-en). Look for Settings and Compatibility. As I get more familiar with the settings I may change this advice, but my reading of the instructions is that everything switched on except Fix reopen maximises the chances of success and stability. There seems to be a sense on the support forum that settings may depend on provider and maybe country. Give me time on this one. Get into car and switch on ignition. It should search for your phone, but, if it doesn't, use the MMI to search for a Bluetooth phone. When you select your phone it should have a Carphone profile - select that. It will give you a 16 digit number to type in, but in every case so far that we have seen it's actually each of four numbers repeated four times, so it's not too bad. You should now have a fully functioning phone service, with data, on your UMTS. Check that you have by making a call, going into Google Maps, checking the WiFi works etc. However, you will find that there is no phone directory. This is a bummer, so... Use the MMI to re-import your favourite 100 entries from your SD card in step (1) back to your phone.You should now have a fully functioning, all singing, all dancing rSAP iPhone, except if you use the WiFi, which kills the telephone service, that is from any device, not just your iPhone. I will continue to experiment with this and advise.

Good luck, buddies!

kite
16-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks to you both for all the hardwork and the simple step by step instructions.
I'm sure that this may well end being a "sticky" thread.

Guest 2
16-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the info, I'm sure it'll help someone out there :)

Thanks Tim!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timothy Nathan
17-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Please note that most of the thanks should go to gbjk, I am really only the secretary providing notes from the meeting!

kite
17-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Well done taking the minutes of the meetings

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

MFGF
17-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Great work! Thanks!!

I already updated to 5.1 so I need to wait until a jailbreak untethered becomes available...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Timothy Nathan
17-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Looking at the documentation, I can see no reason to upgrade to 5.1.

Timothy Nathan
17-03-2012, 02:29 PM
I have now checked the Auto-Lock feature and it seems irrelevant, sorry for the bum steer.

Whatever flakiness we saw yesterday has gone away and it's solid as a rock.

Timothy Nathan
19-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Please note that I have changed my advice.

I now advise having Fix reopen switched off in SAPServer and not to use the WiFi from any device in the car.

I will continue to diagnose, but it's a long, painful process as sometimes a wrong setting will not manifest as a failure until you lose signal, and in the London area, total signal losses are few and far between.

MFGF
19-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Looking at the documentation, I can see no reason to upgrade to 5.1.

Too late for me - I already did it! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Timothy Nathan
19-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I imagine that a 5.1 jailbreak will be along shortly.

BigAid
19-03-2012, 11:06 AM
http://www.techaddition.com/jailbreak-ios-5-1-iphone-4s-ipad-2-photos-i0n1c/

Been demonstrated by a couple of people so hopefully a released option will appear in near future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbjk
31-03-2012, 09:01 AM
My car arrived yesterday, and the rsap server worked fine first time.
I've had a couple of niggles, but they relate to when you're first switching the bt stack and starting up rsap.
Once it's up and running, and the phone's been restarted possibly, it works well.

I'm having mild issue sharing the contacts, but I'll open another topic for that.

Timothy Nathan
31-03-2012, 09:21 AM
When we first experimented we found that the 4 was more solid than the 3.

I have given up in disgust, moved to the 4S for non-car days and bought £7.50 worth of old Nokia for car days.

What is quite remarkable, and quite tangental to this discussion, but still amusing, is that I bought the Nokia from a company in London, and the previous user had left her details on it. Because she has an unusual name (Mickailah) I was able rapidly to identify that this phone was previously used by the tenant of our BTL property in Epsom, when, before she had children, she had lived and worked in London.

How's that for serendipity?!

MFGF
31-03-2012, 09:57 AM
Sometimes life throws up the most improbable coincidences! :)

Do you mind if I ask what model Nokia phone you ended up with? Looks like I might go down a similar route...

Thanks

MF.

Timothy Nathan
31-03-2012, 10:09 AM
It's a 6230i. I got that because it is small and cheap and has rSAP. I found that it is cheaper to buy one locked to your network than an unlocked one. I have also found that, with a little experience, I can place the micro SIM in it without a carrier, which saves a little faff.

It worked first time and instantly.

However, I do recommend people with iPhones to start by trying the method above. It seems to depend on model of iPhone, carrier and type of SIM (there are many, it seems), so, for the sake of half an hour's experimentation, suck it and see.

gbjk
01-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Another 24 hours of usage, and I've found the reset issues Timothy reported.

Sometimes it connects on start up, works with maps throughout, and works fine with calls.

Others it disconnects on end of phone call, on change of data type, or a kitten sneezing nearby.

Having discussed with the developer off forum (and read what he's said on forum) I think this problem may be unfixable.
I'll see if I can work with him to resolve, though.

Right now, for an easy life, I'd recommend galaxy S2.
I may well go that way myself, but I just spent all my money on a car! :D (and a holiday to the maldives)

Gareth

gbjk
20-04-2012, 08:36 AM
So I've heard since that the S2 is also quite unreliable, and I've seen evidence of that myself.

I'm currently leaning towards: A separate SIM in the dash, and using the call divert handling system ( *#67# to check ) to make it divert to my real phone when "off".

That way everyone uses my main number all of the time.

Timothy Nathan
20-04-2012, 08:40 AM
There is a big problem with that solution, which is when you make outgoing calls.

Do you withhold the number, risking rejection, or publish the number, risking people calling you back on it when you are not in the car, sending you texts etc?

Thus if you use that method, you have to divert the other number back to your phone each time you leave the car, and then, in my opinion, the hassle factor is no less than swapping the SIM every time you get in and out of the car, which is also a pain.

Y90USF
20-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Doesn't jail breaking an iPhone void warranty! Also some new apps nay not work on a jail broken iPhone ie the new Barclays ping it app

Timothy Nathan
20-04-2012, 08:43 AM
If you need to take it back under warranty, you unjb it first!

gbjk
20-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Nathan,

I think you misunderstood: The sim in the car *automatically* diverts always, because it's off.
I don't know how text messages would work, though.

Y90USF,

Nope, I don't believe it does. In fact, IIRC, there was a legal battle about this recently and it was deemed it couldn't.
And no, I haven't found any apps that don't work on jailbroken ... why wouldn't they?!
It's not like the O/S or software is different

Y90USF
20-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Download the new pingit app Barclays have launched, when trying to register it says this phone has been jail broken and is unsupported or something along them lines, as I had mine jail broken, and even after restoring it says the same so in the event of a warranty issue I'm sure apple would see the phone has been jail broken

gbjk
20-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Y90USF,

Sorry, but in my experience, absolutely not - If you restore the phone to the standard ipsw there is no trace of the jailbreak.
Either it's not a full restore you've done, or it's "detecting" a jailbreak because it's not on the right ios version (seems unlikely).

Also: Installing xCon from cydia would have made it usable whilst still jailbroken.

G

Timothy Nathan
20-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Nathan, (I assume you mean me)

I think you misunderstood: The sim in the car *automatically* diverts always, because it's off.
I don't know how text messages would work, though.
So there is a bunch of people who think that a different number is yours, and whenever they call you, the call will always be diverted?

It sounds like yet another unsatisfactory choice.

They need to fix this.

gbjk
20-04-2012, 11:10 AM
No, you move your main number to the car's sim.

And yes, whenever they call they get diverted, but I'm not sure if that won't be quite quick.

Timothy Nathan
20-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Ok, so what happens when you call from outside the car, what number do people see?

MFGF
10-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Well... I had a brave stab at this tonight. My iPhone 4 was already running iOS 5.1 so the jailbreak had to be tethered. It all installed ok though. I also managed to install the rSAP trial version too, and I set the options as per the suggestions in the post.

Feeling pleased with myself, I went out to the car and searched for my phone's Bluetooth in the MMI. It showed up as "Car Phone" which was encouraging, and after entering the 16 digit key it paired...

Here it all went wrong! The car reported that it had no service, and on my iPhone display the "Vodafone 3G" and the signal bars were replaced by "No Service". I switched the phone back to the iOS Bluetooth stack, but the Settings screen hung then crashed when I tried to make the selection. After rebooting the phone, the iOS stack appeared to work, but the phone would not see the car and vice versa. I tried the whole process three times, but got the same result every time.

In the end I had to restore the phone to get Bluetooth working again, so I am back to a standard phone that connects via HFP once more.

Oh well. Maybe I will try a Nokia phone next...

MF.

Timothy Nathan
10-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Oh well. Maybe I will try a Nokia phone next...
...or a BMW...

MFGF
10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
...or a B*W...

Careful! Swearing like that can get you banned ;)

I dug out my old Nokia 6230i, planning to give it a try today. I plugged it in and waited for it to charge, then carefully fitted the micro-sim from my iPhone, making sure the metal contacts lined up. I excitedly fired it up, ready to see rSAP in action for the first time... only to find it is sim-locked to Orange! Aagh!!! I think I have a Vodafone 6230 somewhere too, but it's probably at the bottom of a box in the loft somewhere. Sigh.

MF.

Timothy Nathan
10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
My 6230i works a treat, but if I wanted a 6230i I wouldn't have an iPhone.

skibuddy
08-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Missing text messages? I think I have discovered that with my Android phone connected in rSAP mode, if a text message is received it is delivered to the car only and not the phone as well. I was having a play on the MMI and discovered a load of messages that I don't believe I have ever read. Has anyone else experienced this?

braytac
09-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Not had my A6 Delivered yet but this is certainly how it works with my Passat CC, you can then copy them to the phone if you wanted to. Interesting though since the Audi dealer told me you couldn't receive sms in the Audi...perhaps because he had an iPhone so no rsap :P

MFGF
11-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Yep - if your car is connected to your phone via rSAP, or if you have your sim in the car's sim slot, text messages are delivered to the car, and remain there. I haven't seen a way to get them to transfer from the car to your phone.

Cheers!

MF.

gregpawley
26-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi, not sure what phone you have but I have a Nokia E7-00 which works perfectly using rSAP.

I can recall the text messages recieved while in the car by Open messaging -> options -> View folders -> options -> SIM messages, I can then read them there or copy to my normal phone inbox.

Hope this helps?

skibuddy
27-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Hi, not sure what phone you have but I have a Nokia E7-00 which works perfectly using rSAP.

I can recall the text messages recieved while in the car by Open messaging -> options -> View folders -> options -> SIM messages, I can then read them there or copy to my normal phone inbox.

Hope this helps?

Brilliant, thanks for this. On Android, go into Messages > Settings > Manage SIM card messages > Copy all messages to phone memory

EvilPostIt
05-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Hi, I have ordered the mobile phone prep high on my new a6. Am I right in saying from this post that it basically doesn't work with an iPhone 4s even though it says the opposite on the Audi website?

Timothy Nathan
05-01-2013, 12:41 AM
Hi, I have ordered the mobile phone prep high on my new a6. Am I right in saying from this post that it basically doesn't work with an iPhone 4s even though it says the opposite on the Audi website?
Does it still say it does on the website, though? They put in a disclaimer about a year ago.

EvilPostIt
06-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Looking at the Audi website, there is no obvious disclaimer. There is a link from the phone prep high to a compatibility checker which says that everything is supported but has no mention about rSAP. A bit dishonest in my opinion as its quite misleading.

But hey, no big issue, will call on Monday and get it removed from my spec. Might add the active high beams instead.

EvilPostIt
08-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Probably a stupid question but can you connect 2 phones? 1 via rSAP and the other through Bluetooth and then set the bluetooth as a higher priority for hands free calls? Longshot i know but as a techy i would really prefer to have all the data features but would much rather stay with my iPhone 4s or possibly upgrade to a Lumia 920 (Which from what i understand I also not supported....)

MFGF
08-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Probably a stupid question but can you connect 2 phones? 1 via rSAP and the other through Bluetooth and then set the bluetooth as a higher priority for hands free calls? Longshot i know but as a techy i would really prefer to have all the data features but would much rather stay with my iPhone 4s or possibly upgrade to a Lumia 920 (Which from what i understand I also not supported....)

Not a stupid question at all... but the answer, sadly, is no. You can't have both an rSAP and HFP profile connection active at the same time. You can, however, have rSAP and A2DP connections open concurrently (or HFP and A2DP), but A2DP simply provides access to music on the phone, and doesn't allow calls to be made/received. If you have a sim in the dashboard, you can have PBAP and A2DP active, giving you phone book contacts and music from your phone, but HFP is greyed out - at least in this country.

Cheers!

MF.

EvilPostIt
08-01-2013, 07:11 PM
If there is a sim in the dashboard. When ejected, how quickly does the car switch back to the Bluetooth handsfree profile of the phone?

MFGF
08-01-2013, 08:01 PM
I have only ever done this by going into the bluetooth menu and selecting my phone. I'm not sure how long it would take if I left it to its own devices - much too long to pick up an incoming call, I assume. I usually divert my phone to the car sim's number for long journeys, so I can take calls with no fuss.

Cheers!

MF.

EvilPostIt
08-01-2013, 08:38 PM
It should take the same sort of time as the initial connect when the car starts I would have thought, unless I doesn't initiate the connect.

MFGF
08-01-2013, 10:22 PM
It should take the same sort of time as the initial connect when the car starts I would have thought, unless I doesn't initiate the connect.

If I had an A6 not a Corsa, I could try it :)

EvilPostIt
08-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Is yours in the garage then? I don't even have mine yet... :( have to wait till may but its going to Monaco in August on holiday :D

MFGF
09-01-2013, 09:50 AM
Is yours in the garage then? I don't even have mine yet... :( have to wait till may but its going to Monaco in August on holiday :D

Yep. Again. You can read about it here: Bash!! (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?140241-Bash)!!

I think having a sim in the car that is provisioned for both data and calls is the best option as things stand. That way, you get online services, and with an iPhone it's easy to turn on and off call divert to the car's number. If I need to make a call from the car, I either just use the sim in the dash, or I eject the sim and connect my iPhone via HFP temporarily. The only time it fails is when I forget to divert my phone to the car's number, and someone calls me when I am driving. I have to stop and answer, or ignore the call.

Cheers!

MF.

Wuffles
09-01-2013, 10:01 AM
I think having a sim in the car that is provisioned for both data and calls is the best option as things stand. That way, you get online services, and with an iPhone it's easy to turn on and off call divert to the car's number. If I need to make a call from the car, I either just use the sim in the dash, or I eject the sim and connect my iPhone via HFP temporarily. The only time it fails is when I forget to divert my phone to the car's number, and someone calls me when I am driving. I have to stop and answer, or ignore the call.

I wish that were laced with sarcasm, but I fear it isn't.

EvilPostIt
09-01-2013, 10:08 AM
I agree, especially when you use the **21*[Phone Number]# shortcode to set the divert and the ##21# shortcode to clear all diverts.

if I set them as contacts and favourite them they are very accessible.

its just a shame that noone has come up with a scenario based forwarding app (ie when connected to Bluetooth named x forward to number y). That way it would be much more user friendly.

MFGF
09-01-2013, 10:16 AM
I wish that were laced with sarcasm, but I fear it isn't.

Sarcasm? I have no knowledge of that word. ;)

I agree, especially when you use the **21*[Phone Number]# shortcode to set the divert and the ##21# shortcode to clear all diverts.

if I set them as contacts and favourite them they are very accessible.

its just a shame that noone has come up with a scenario based forwarding app (ie when connected to Bluetooth named x forward to number y). That way it would be much more user friendly.

It's a nice idea, but the whole point here is that the iPhone is not connected for calls via bluetooth when in the car. I do have mine connected to the car's Wifi though. If an app could detect this and forward calls automatically, that would work a treat!

Cheers!

EvilPostIt
09-01-2013, 10:27 AM
It's a nice idea, but the whole point here is that the iPhone is not connected for calls via bluetooth when in the car.

I thought it connected to the bluetooth for music and phonebook?

MFGF
09-01-2013, 10:37 AM
I thought it connected to the bluetooth for music and phonebook?

Good point. It will, yes, but not for calls, so it's not a "normal" bluetooth HFP profile.

I know a clever young lad who writes apps for the iPhone and Android markets. I will have a word with him to see how feasible an app like this might be. If he can build something, I imagine there will be a few people on these forums who would be willing to test it for him :)

MF.

EvilPostIt
09-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Good point. It will, yes, but not for calls, so it's not a "normal" bluetooth HFP profile.

Yep, but if the app can autosense the bluetooth (or even the wifi network of the car) then enable the forward when in range and disable when out of range the only real difference between this and it working as everyone in the entire world would have expected (slight bug bear) is that when you call someone from the car the data sim number is sent. Unless of course you dont send your caller id, in which case there would be no difference.

I really don't understand why Audi don't put an option in the settings though that allows you to say weather or not you want to override the HFP if a SIM is inserted in the dashboard. By default it would be turned on but a setting isnt to much to ask i think.

MFGF
09-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Yep, but if the app can autosense the bluetooth (or even the wifi network of the car) then enable the forward when in range and disable when out of range the only real difference between this and it working as everyone in the entire world would have expected (slight bug bear) is that when you call someone from the car the data sim number is sent. Unless of course you dont send your caller id, in which case there would be no difference.

I really don't understand why Audi don't put an option in the settings though that allows you to say weather or not you want to override the HFP if a SIM is inserted in the dashboard. By default it would be turned on but a setting isnt to much to ask i think.

My thinking was that the bluetooth connection would be the same name for Handsfree, music and phone book as far as the phone was concerned. If your phone was really connected via HFP you would not want call forwarding, but if it was connected via either of the other two you would want forwarding. I imagine it would be simpler to determine a specific wifi connection than to have to figure out both the name and type of bluetooth connection, but I'm no expert, so I could be utterly wrong :)

Lots of people have asked Audi why we can't have the same system here as in the USA, which allows simultaneous use of a sim in the dashboard and HFP bluetooth connection to a phone. The same answer keeps coming back - it can't be done. We just have to accept that and move on. Your idea of an App to auto-forward calls when connected to the car is a very good alternative. I will see what my friend has to say about its feasibility.

Cheers!

EvilPostIt
09-01-2013, 11:44 AM
I suspect the fact that the app would have to be running may be an issue as i believe apple do not allow apps to run in the background. Although im no iphone app developer.

Timothy Nathan
09-01-2013, 11:52 AM
A certain amount of stuff runs in the background in order to allow push notifications, such as Facebook telling you when someone has sent you a message, so something must be possible.

MFGF
09-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Yep. Music runs in the background too, plus the Skype app, Viber etc. I think an app needs to be written specifically to do so, otherwise it just "freezes" when you switch away from it.

EvilPostIt
09-01-2013, 02:41 PM
The point of the app would be that it has to be seamless otherwise we may as well just manually forward the phone when you get in the car, ie constantly running without the need for it to be opened in the first place, in windows terms it would have to be run as a service which polls on an interval and actions when the criteria are met.

MFGF
09-01-2013, 02:55 PM
The point of the app would be that it has to be seamless otherwise we may as well just manually forward the phone when you get in the car, ie constantly running without the need for it to be opened in the first place, in windows terms it would have to be run as a service which polls on an interval and actions when the criteria are met.

Agreed. The Skype and Viber apps both do this. As calls come in, they detect this in real time and prompt you to answer. If those apps can run as a "proper" background process, I imagine others can be written that way too.

Cheers!

Wuffles
09-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Agreed. The Skype and Viber apps both do this. As calls come in, they detect this in real time and prompt you to answer. If those apps can run as a "proper" background process, I imagine others can be written that way too.

I think the main problem you'll run into will be the fact that you are attempting to build an app that messes with the system, not just with itself. In the case of Skype for example, the app is answering calls or making calls that relate to itself, the chances of getting something that will (A) be able to divert calls within the system is slim, and (B) through the Apple Store process without being laughed out even slimmer. I'm prepared to be wrong though.

Has anyone tried any more leverage to get Audi to admit their system needs work? Like a petition, or more than one person moaning at once?

EvilPostIt
15-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Any luck speaking to your dev pal MFGF?

MFGF
15-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Any luck speaking to your dev pal MFGF?

I nabbed him on Sunday, sat him in my car for a few minutes and demonstrated the issues we are having. I asked him about the app to auto-switch call forwarding when entering/leaving the car (based on either the wifi connection or the bluetooth name) and he said he will look into it. I have left him my personal and work email addresses, and he will let me know...

MF.

ndiye
08-05-2013, 06:58 PM
At the risk of double posting, the data/phone/sim/bluetooth issue just might be resolved, see post in A7 section, but probably not for current owners . . . . or maybe?

Seems the bluetooth disabled when data sim inserted issue is resolved . . . .?? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?145861-Seems-the-bluetooth-disabled-when-data-sim-inserted-issue-is-resolved)

EvilPostIt
08-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Mine will be a very late my2013 model as I'm picking it up in the next couple of weeks... I will drop the dealer a line too to see what the story is.

retired99
09-05-2013, 01:07 PM
At the risk of double posting, the data/phone/sim/bluetooth issue just might be resolved, see post in A7 section, but probably not for current owners . . . . or maybe?

Seems the bluetooth disabled when data sim inserted issue is resolved . . . .?? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?145861-Seems-the-bluetooth-disabled-when-data-sim-inserted-issue-is-resolved)

Hope this means what it appears to and applies to all A6 MY 14 variants.

My car will be MY 14 and whilst I have an RSAP phone at the moment if I want to replace it the choice is pretty limited.

Only other alternative would seem to be Orange's 'single number' offer to business users.

EvilPostIt
09-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Called my dealer today to find more information on this, they said they will get back to me after doing some digging.

The RS6 brochure that this comment is from is dated as April 2013 so if its a software update I don't see why it would have been applicable from then... To be quite honest I cannot understand why this wouldn't just be an updated software version and applicable to other cars but hay its never as simple as you hope! The RS6 brochure even lists the option with the same option code "9ZW". But like retired99 says the Orange "single number" plan may well be the way to go if not. Fingers crossed!!!!

retired99
09-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Evil,

Be interested to hear what your dealer has to say.

ndiye
09-05-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Evil, I'm due to collect this Saturday morning, have seen the car but not had a chance to test this out, but am really hoping that its all but software, after all this issue has been going on for a bit now. Audi has had more than enough time to come up with some solution and despite assurances from the rep who sold me the car, I'm skeptical but hopeful. So I'm hoping that you might find out a bit more about this before I drop in there on Sat, more info puts me in better stead as to how to deal with this should the outcome be less than favourable, so your report back is very much eagerly awaited.
Many thanks in advance.

EvilPostIt
10-05-2013, 10:58 AM
So.... Got an email from the dealer stating that this seems to be a 2014 model year thing but I have also asked if this will be a software update rather than different hardware and whether an upgrade at a later date is possible... Annoying as mine was built a month off the 2014 model year...

retired99
10-05-2013, 12:34 PM
So.... Got an email from the dealer stating that this seems to be a 2014 model year thing but I have also asked if this will be a software update rather than different hardware and whether an upgrade at a later date is possible... Annoying as mine was built a month off the 2014 model year...

Thanks for the update. Hope that its purely a s/w update and can be retrofitted to previous model years for your sake and , I guess, quite a few-other people.

retired99
10-05-2013, 09:10 PM

Just looked at the Audi web site. The April (MY14 I assume) A6 brochure is now available and shows the same wording as the RS brochure.

EvilPostIt
11-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Spoke to the dealer again today as I was in signing the paperwork to pick mine up this week. He has sent an email over to Audi technical and expects to get a response back on Monday although he said that if he were to bet on it he thinks it would be a hardware difference, ie not upgradable... :(

retired99
11-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Spoke to the dealer again today as I was in signing the paperwork to pick mine up this week. He has sent an email over to Audi technical and expects to get a response back on Monday although he said that if he were to bet on it he thinks it would be a hardware difference, ie not upgradable... :(

Sorry to say I expect he's right. Given that the car seems to have had this functionality in the US since launch coupled with the complaints Audi must have been receiving ( hence the change in the UK) I would have thought if it was merely s/w then the change would have happened more quickly. Software upgrades for cars are pretty routine these days and I guess no changes to the production process are needed. However, adding new hardware components I suspect is more complicated, hence incorporating into a new model year.

Hope I'm wrong!

EvilPostIt
11-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Me too!

kiwilester
22-05-2013, 10:27 PM
Good morning from New Zealand :-) New forum member, although I have been reading its pages for some time as I have been going through the process of ordering my new car. The information presented here has been most useful in alerting me to the right questions to ask my dealer. Here in NZ we get cars in the UK configuration, and the advertising material has for a long time implied simultaneous availability of data services and personal cell phone etc. Long story short, therefore, my dealer has confirmed that my car will come delivered with the fix alluded to above, ie, a double module which allows the functionality that everyone here has been seeking. It is Audi NZ's understanding that it is a hardware fix, so the extent to which (or not) it will be retrofittable is not clear to them. My car was ordered on May 6, will commence build in week 26 and will have this new system. I then have to wait for delivery on 31 Aug - I guess it's a long way to ship the car :-)
I perhaps should have started by saying that I have ordered an S Line A6 3.0 TDI with a very high spec in terms of options etc.
The Audi A6 is a comparatively rare vehicle here in NZ so I will be a regular reader here to learn more about my car once I have it, and I look forward to contributing my own input also.

ndiye
18-05-2014, 12:15 AM
I know this is a long cooled thread, but I thought an update . . . . . . . . . . . a really cool one too wouldn't be amiss.
It seems that Audi have quietly made available a firmware update that resolves the dual connectivity once and for all . . . . a magic bullet so to speak. I found a thread on another Audi forum where it's mentioned and as confirmation, one of the better Audi retrofitting establishments are selling the firmware update for quite a steep price. I did a bit of research and called around the dealerships and in the end to cut a long story short purchased an SD card from Audi for about 25 quid, applied the firmware update, and with the most minor of tweaks in the hidden menu, can connect my iPhone visit Bluetooth, handle calls as per usual in MMI and at the same time have a data sim in the dash handling data duties all at the same time. You even get two separate reception indicators one for the sim in the dash the other for your Bluetooth phone. . . . . RESULT!!!! I'd say and the biggest gripe I had with Audi very successfully resolved!!!
I'm still testing it as I only did this yesterday but all connections are very stable so far and haven't had any issues managing calls so far (touches wood) but really pleased and relieved that this has finally been put to bed . . . . . . We can close this thread now . . . . ;) ;)

ndiye
18-05-2014, 12:25 AM
Just to clarify, above post is a fix for pre MY2014 cars, for those not familiar these vehicles were connectivity challenged, it was either Bluetooth phone or sim in dash never the two, was very very very frustrating.

Wuffles
18-05-2014, 08:05 AM
Can we find out the hidden menu option please? Just in case someone has already had the update from Audi would be worth checking. A little shocked Audi are selling a firmware update?! Or letting 3rd parties sell it for an inflated price, considering this was a blunder on their part from the start.

Timothy Nathan
18-05-2014, 08:55 AM
...just what I logged on to say!

I changed to Samsung, and would never go back to iPhone, but nonetheless, Audi should have made this fix free and publicised it. I bet most dealers have never heard of it.

ndiye
18-05-2014, 09:48 AM
As soon as I hit my computer I will post the hidden menu instructions I don't have them on my tablet. I wasn't sure if anybody was still following up on this, is was more for posterity. In my conversations with Audi Uk yes I spoke to them about them making this a free of charge update and was told quite curtly that, the update will not be free because it adds (don't remember the exact terminology) features and benefits that weren't previously available to my vehicle. And that as looking at my vehicle history via the VIN number there were no mandated updates that were or are or will be due to be applied to my car. In other words sod off if you don't want to pay for it!! The worst part of it is that they want to do the update themselves, for £110 labour, add the £25 for the actual firmware and it's delivery medium, and their argument is that I can just buy the update apply it myself but should my car ever come in for some work service or otherwise, the update most likely will be removed; but if they do it, then it becomes a part of my vehicles DNA according to Audi's big central brain and would thus be maintained within the car regardless. I'm still chasing the matter up with Audi Uk after promises were made when I first took up the matter with them, if any recall was once told that a cable was in the pipeline that would resolve this issue . . . that came to naught. In fairness though I got some vouchers to keep me pacified and as a partial refund on the is it 350 quid I spent on the Audi connect option, but the agreement had been that once a fix was found I would be entitled to it at no further cost to myself . . . . again that's come to naught! So I thought I would just do it myself and take it up with them later, it's been a long time coming and I don't want to be in a holding pattern until they get their act together. Oh and it works like a dream so far and regardless of phone used. . . . . . details very soon.

Wuffles
18-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Yes would be interesting to note how customers who were sold the vehicle before the asterisk was added to the brochure re: rSAP & iPhones not working as advertised (from memory that's what happened, might only have been on the A7 actually).

ndiye
18-05-2014, 11:26 AM
As promised for Tim and Wuffles below is the pertinent bit, credit to the fellas in that forum I'll need to find the direct link will add that later, but this is the info I copied and pasted into notepad when doing my digging.

" The biggest benefit of the update to 0770 that I've found and got working today is the use of a data sim inserted into the mmi unit for data services - Audi Connect, Google Earth, etc., whilst still being able to connect my Galaxy S3 to the car using Bluetooth for handsfree.

One important setting to make is that you need to enable a menu item so that it will show as the first option under “telephone settings” called “Make calls using......”. You do this in the green menu (hidden engineering menu) under diagnose/settings/tel_settings”. Here you need to enable “NAD operation mode”.

Once you've done this then restart / reboot the unit (3 button press) and you will see the option to change which device to use to make calls, once you've selected which sim to use to make calls (mmi or mobile telephone) the system will advise a reboot is required which it will do itself.

After the reboot you'll see signal strength displays for both the mmi and mobile telephone SIMs at the bottom right of the mmi screen. "

I followed theses instructions tentatively and I've attached a pic of the results, I'm using a iPhone 5 and an EE data sim and yes I've made and received calls while Audi connect/ Googlemaps is running.
So far all good.;):beerchug:

ndiye
18-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Oh these (http://hazzydayz.com/mmi-3g-plus-firmware-update-for-google-earth-via-sim-and-phone-via-bluetooth-4382-p.asp) guys are selling the update for a fee, I won't comment but needless to say I only paid about £24 and some change from Audi direct and did the update myself but have a look it served to confirm my discovery and gave it some credence, as to be selling it I figured there had to be something to it.
Below is a image of the SD card with the part number. The important thing if anybody wants to do it rather than wait for Audi you need to check which version of MMI you are using because it might be necessary to do some intermediate updates first, that will depend on the year your vehicle was produced, this link (http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2864827) explains that a bit more, indeed its the forum that gave me the most guidance and all credit to the guys there, its positively changed in a very significant way how I use and enjoy my car now.
Much Gratitude, now just need to deal with Audi:mad::mad: ( can't find a stern smiley )

MFGF
21-05-2014, 03:05 PM
This sounds promising. I will ask about it the next time my car is in at my dealer. If they can do this for me I will be a happy bunny!!

MF.

Westyfield2
27-05-2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks ndiye, that info is great! It's what I've been waiting for!

Westyfield2
28-05-2014, 11:54 PM
My car was at the dealership yesterday and today for some booked work under warranty. After reading this thread, I rung them this morning to ask about getting this update done whilst they already had the car in the workshop. My Service Advisor looked up my car, but said that there no mandated updates from Audi for it. I explained to him that my car is currently on version 612 and that this 770 update isn't being pushed out by Audi - it is only being installed on request, as well as explaining why I wanted this update/what it fixes. My Service Advisor said that he would speak with the Technicians and see what they could do.

When I collected the car this afternoon, my Service Advisor said that the software update had been done as-well as the warranty work the car was booked in for. When I got home I looked at the MMI version, and it has indeed been updated to HN+R_EU_AU_K0770.:D So credit where credit is due to Bath Audi - top job!

This evening I have successfully got the "make calls using" setting working by using the instructions a couple of posts up and from that other forum :). I have written up the procedure with some photos in a thread here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?158127-Bluetooth-Phone-and-Dashboard-Data-SIM-Card).

YMwe_Qn
30-06-2014, 08:20 AM
I had a lot of back-and-forth to the dealer to get this resolved, I even phoned Bath Audi and asked them about it, only to be told there was no update for my vehicle (looked up using the reg plate or VIN number).

However, these magic words DID let them resolve it:

Please tell me if this part number (8R0906961DG) is available, and applicable to my car?
This appears to be a map update, but also includes a software update for the MMI to version 0770. It does state on several sources that it's applicable to the A6,A7,A8 and the Q3.

3GP Mainunit (5F) Updates
8R0906961DG - K_0770 EU (Q3/A6/A8/A7) SVM:3GPEU770

They replied straight away to confirm it matches both criteria, and booked it in the same day for the update. I now have 2 signal meters and the menu option to change which SIM/phone is used for calls.

This was on a very late 2013 A8

Justinos
01-07-2014, 10:20 PM
My dealer is reluctant to undertake the update on my 2012 A6 Avant. Usual stuff, no upgrade listed for your car, Audi UK seem the same. I am waiting call backs from both whilst my car is with them for a service and warranty work (leaking door issue), but decided to research how to do this my self. As I understand you have to upfate the software incrementally, not just jump to the latest version. I have found sources for the 3 versions I need, and have VCDS etc and the engineering menu enabled, so should be ready to update once I figure the process. I know it is best to have the battery on charge whilst doing it.

I have downloaded the following:-

0518 - 0612 using CD 8R0 906 961BT
0612 - 0614 using CD 8R0 906 961CD
0614 - 0770 using SD 8R0 906 961DG

They are a mixture of zip fies and ISOs. It is the next step I am stuck on. On my previous BMW's you burned the firmware as an iso file, and went from there. Is it the same for Audi's. I believe the first 2 on my list originally came on DVD.s, the last one is on an SD card - do I need do the same, or is it acceptable to copy each one to a DVD or all to SD cards?

ndiye
03-07-2014, 07:15 AM
Hey Justinos, looks like you're on the right track, you just need to burn the iso files as the are to disk, these if done correctly should load up just fine as long as there were no errors either in the initial disk imaging or the burn process, the most reliable burn software I use is Alcohol 120 there is a free version which I think is Alcohol 52 but gives you less features. Once you get to the SD card stage if I understood you correctly, you simply need to unzip the files to the an SD card I would suggest a 4 GB SDHC card with an old school FAT32 format, make sure there is nothing else on the card - as in format then unzip to the card. That should do it, hope that helps?;)

Justinos
08-07-2014, 09:52 PM
I haven't got round to this yet, still trying to get the dealer to do it, but also as I am slightly nervous about the chance one of the firmwares I have downloaded is corrupt or damaged. Never had a problem when doing BMW firmwares from downloads, but these seem more complex. Anyone know of reliable sources for 0614 and 0770?

Justin

Audi Aidan
12-07-2014, 08:42 PM
So my local dealer is going to do the upgrade all the way to 777 for me in a couple of weeks time on my 2012, he said they aren't meant to even go into the eng menu.

They said if they did that it would void warranty so we agreed they will simply apply the updates for me.

Anyone else had any luck updating 2012< cars?

hhhoffme
19-08-2014, 03:41 AM
Where did you manage to download them from please?

hhhoffme
19-08-2014, 03:43 AM
Where did you manage to download these incremental MMI updates, you just post that you did, not how?

My dealer is reluctant to undertake the update on my 2012 A6 Avant. Usual stuff, no upgrade listed for your car, Audi UK seem the same. I am waiting call backs from both whilst my car is with them for a service and warranty work (leaking door issue), but decided to research how to do this my self. As I understand you have to upfate the software incrementally, not just jump to the latest version. I have found sources for the 3 versions I need, and have VCDS etc and the engineering menu enabled, so should be ready to update once I figure the process. I know it is best to have the battery on charge whilst doing it.

I have downloaded the following:-

0518 - 0612 using CD 8R0 906 961BT
0612 - 0614 using CD 8R0 906 961CD
0614 - 0770 using SD 8R0 906 961DG

They are a mixture of zip fies and ISOs. It is the next step I am stuck on. On my previous BMW's you burned the firmware as an iso file, and went from there. Is it the same for Audi's. I believe the first 2 on my list originally came on DVD.s, the last one is on an SD card - do I need do the same, or is it acceptable to copy each one to a DVD or all to SD cards?

Justinos
14-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Where did you manage to download these incremental MMI updates, you just post that you did, not how?

My dealer did it the end, but if you fancy trying, look here:-

Free Installation: Map Audi MMI 3G HDD 2014 PART. NO. 8R0060884BK version 6.17.3 (http://garage-automotive.com/showthread.php?tid=2415&page=4)

MFGF
25-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Another happy bunny here. My car was in for service yesterday and my dealer updated the MMI software to rectify the freezing problems I had been experiencing. I followed the instructions to set the right option in the green hidden menu and now I can make and receive calls via the bluetooth connection to my iPhone while the car is simultaneously online using the in-dash data sim. Great result!!

MF.

silky6053
15-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Picked up my new Avant Ultra with tech pack a couple of days ago. Got most things working and have done a few tweaks with VCDS. EE data sim in dash and working with Audi Connect. Iphone 6 connects for calls and works with Siri and voice commands etc. If I get a text to my iPhone whilst in the car the MMI beeps and I can read the message or have it read by that nice Audi lady. However, I can't see any other texts on my mobile - I assumed it would syncronise texts with MMI like the contacts do. Each time I get in the car the messages folders are empty and nothing is saved. I would like to be able to review messages stored on my phone. Is this how it should work or am I missing something?

Glynn

Bar Shaker
16-10-2015, 01:29 PM
I've only recently set this up and that is how it works with an iPhone.

To review your previously received texts (not really a good idea when driving) you would have to ask Siri to read out the last text from a sender.

silky6053
16-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Bar Shaker - thanks for that. If its normal that is fine. I have since realised I cannot send a response via template or otherwise. Do you know if that is also by design?
Thanks. Glynn

Bar Shaker
16-10-2015, 03:17 PM
I haven't tried to reply to a text but would use Siri rather than the car.

A6ian
16-10-2015, 03:53 PM
iPhone doesn't allow to reply to text via BT. You can however put the sim in the car (with adaptor) then you can reply to text.

silky6053
16-10-2015, 05:59 PM
Thanks guys

Glynn

MC09PJC
25-10-2015, 06:25 PM
Hi...

Is it possible to connect an iphone 6 plus to the tech pack mmi and use that for data on Google maps rather than a sim. If so is there any links to some instructions...
Got my iPhone connected via Bluetooth and its working for both telephone and audio but not data for Google maps...

Thanks

MFGF
26-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Hi...

Is it possible to connect an iphone 6 plus to the tech pack mmi and use that for data on Google maps rather than a sim. If so is there any links to some instructions...
Got my iPhone connected via Bluetooth and its working for both telephone and audio but not data for Google maps...

Thanks

Nope. Not possible. If you want to use a phone for car data connectivity, you need a phone that supports the rSAP (remote SIM Access Profile) bluetooth connectivity type. Apple iPhones don't use this.

MF.

AT.
08-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I would like to kindly ask for any experience with the new iPhone SE. I'm looking for information, is it all the same as all the other iPhones, or has it got any surplus, or even a limitation? Thanks in advance :1zhelp:

MFGF
11-04-2016, 11:24 AM
I would like to kindly ask for any experience with the new iPhone SE. I'm looking for information, is it all the same as all the other iPhones, or has it got any surplus, or even a limitation? Thanks in advance :1zhelp:

From what I can see, it's the iPhone 5s chassis with the new-spec A9 processor from the 6s and the 12-megapixel camera from the 6s. In terms of connectivity to your car, it's the same as any other iPhone.

Cheers!

MF.

AT.
11-04-2016, 11:44 AM
In terms of connectivity to your car, it's the same as any other iPhone.Thank you for the information, that's what I was looking for :biglaugh: