PDA

View Full Version : Please Help CV Joint replacing

marsh369
15-03-2012, 04:41 PM
I have a 96 A4 1.9 TDI 110. Went to change the cv joint yesterday as the joint had collapsed and the shaft came out of the cv joint.

Got a new cv joint, took the old one off and went to put the new one on but the problem is that there is a circlip (its like a c shape clip) that im guessing is used to keep the cv joint attached to the shaft, but i cannot see anywhere on the shaft or in the cv joint for this to go. without it the shaft is just goin to keep coming out of the cv joint.

Does any one know where this goes or how it goes on? or even if its possiblr to change the joint, am i going to have to buy a driveshaft?

Any help would be very apreciated.

spartacus 68
15-03-2012, 10:51 PM
When you say the joint collapsed... Can you explain what happened? Surely you had some indication it was worn? You normally get a clicking noise on hard lock. Check this out - the circlip fits in the end of the driveshaft. It doesn't keep the cv joint on so-to-speak, but does engage. The cv or hub bolt keeps everything together. It should be renewed as a matter of course. http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc27.shtml

marsh369
15-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah ther was a clicking on full lock and when i took the cv joint of the cage bit that holds the bearings in had broke and the bearings fell out! But how does the bolt hold the shaft in, if anything its goin to push it out. Does the clip not jst stop the shaft coming out? But i cant see a recess anywhere for the clip to fit?

spartacus 68
16-03-2012, 09:38 PM
The end of the driveshaft should have a recess for the split ring (no carry on jokes please) that engages with the cv joint. Use a rubber mallet to knock the cv joint onto the shaft. If in doubt post a couple of pictures.

rhencullen1989
16-03-2012, 09:42 PM
I think there is some confusion here, right, with the outer cv joint completely off the drive shaft, there should be a circlip groove around the shaft 2 or so inches in on the castlated bit. A new circlip should always be used, the circlip is not there to hold the cv joint on, merely as a location so it does not slide off during assembly.

The drive shaft goes through the hub bearing and then the long bolt goes through and tightens the cv joint/drive shaft against the inner race of the bearing with the bolt washer on the other side through the hub assembly, this holds the whole lot together, the hub carrier is supported by 2 lower and 2 upper suspension arms.