PDA

View Full Version : Static Cornering Lights

braytac
13-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi, I'm looking to order a new A6 soon but was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Bi-Xenon headlights, that come as standard with the S-Line model (PX4), have static cornering lights/kerb light functions?

I can see that the full adaptive upgrade (PXB) has them but will all the other options I have chosen that would stretch my budget a bit :)

Hope you can help.

nealeb
14-03-2012, 09:49 AM
I had one of these for a short while and I'm pretty sure that there was no kerb light function. The full adaptive upgrade is very good with the bi-xenon although I now have LED headlights which have their own individual characteristics.

braytac
14-03-2012, 07:50 PM
thanks for that, might have to try and squeeze them into my budget then, I think I will miss the corner lighting that I have in my current car if I don't.

Goatistuta
15-03-2012, 01:50 AM
I took delivery of my new S-line last week and it does indeed come with static cornering lights as standard with bi-xenon lights

robbyg
15-03-2012, 03:39 AM
i know its each to their own, but theres no way i would shell out £600 for cornering lights if budget was an issue. I would spend it on something more enjoyable like heated seats.

If you are doing alot of night time manoeuvring in tight places i suppose they might be useful. Often have them on hire cars and really dont see much benefit personally.

Timothy Nathan
15-03-2012, 08:51 AM
I assume that I have them on my SE with Xenons? If so, I have no idea what they are.

braytac
15-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi, very pleased to hear the static cornering lights are there as standard, I didn't really want to pay for full adaptive but I knew I would probably miss having the corner lights since I have them on my current car.

ricky_s
15-03-2012, 03:19 PM
I have an Sline with Xenons and I am pretty sure I don't have static cornering lights!

braytac
15-03-2012, 03:38 PM
hmm ok, well I've put the order through now so we shall just have to see what turns up, thanks for the replies :)

ninjabob
15-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Hi, very pleased to hear the static cornering lights are there as standard, I didn't really want to pay for full adaptive but I knew I would probably miss having the corner lights since I have them on my current car.

I agree with the above S Line here but no static cornering lights - the only trick they will do is the dip to the right whilst abroad.

Goatistuta
17-03-2012, 02:26 AM
The 'foglight' switch next to the main light switch controls these lights on the S-line. They are not described as cornering lights as such, but they perform that function very well.

braytac
17-03-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm guessing they can't be left on all the time though if they are fog lights.

nealeb
18-03-2012, 08:10 AM
But aren't they "all-weather" lights? I agree, though - shouldn't really be on all the time.

My brochure only mentions static cornering lights with the LED option - they come on as you turn the wheel or approach a junction in town. Otherwise, the nearest you get with the bi-xenon is the cornering light as part of the adaptive option where the whole light swivels. No mention of anything like that for the plain bi-xenon setup as per the S-llne.

BigAid
18-03-2012, 08:11 AM
AFAIK the cornering light uses the LED 'All Weather Lights' (what they call fog lights) which are in the lower part of the main light cluster.

I don't know if they work as cornering lights on standard or xenon headlights - I assume they would as the light is there and it would just be a sensor on the wheel being turned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nealeb
18-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Good point - there are quite a few things on this car where you could think that the cost of the option is largely a matter of enabling something in software!