PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Tyres

Blackmore Spur
10-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Very happy new Audi driver, 1500 miles into gliding around in my new C7 2.0 TDi SLine FWD on 20" wheels. Knowing how expensive replacement tyres will be, wondered if any one could hazard educated guess as to how many miles I might get from them before replacing...... I know it depends upon lots of variables; Most of my miles are with empty boot and just me on 45 mile round trip daily commute supplemented by some motorway trips with one front seat passenger. Pretty calm non-boy racer driving style most of the time

12-03-2012, 09:07 AM
What brand of tyre do they run OEM? It's very subjective. I've had cars that will do a set of tyres in 6-7000 miles, I've had others that didn't need tyres in 30k miles!

I would say it's fair to expect 15k (at least) out of a tyre on a car like this.

MFGF
12-03-2012, 11:25 PM
If it's any help, my C6 2.0 TDi 170 on 19" wheels gets about 18k on the front tyres before they are worn, and about 50k on the rears. This varied a little between the Continentals, Dunlops and now Michelins fitted at various times, but it will give you a rough ball park. The new C7 is a bit more powerful and a bit lighter, so your mileage may vary :)

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blackmore Spur
13-03-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks for advice, much appreciated. Never even noticed how long tyres have lasted on previous cars. Current tyres are Pirelli; does it make any difference to longevity that they are big low profile tyres?

Timothy Nathan
13-03-2012, 01:11 AM
Clearly more powerful is likely to mean more tyre wear, but if you drive in exactly the same way with a more powerful engine as you would with a less, would tyre wear be greater?

And would you expect lightness to decrease or increase wear?

shabazmo
13-03-2012, 11:09 PM
I estimate that I will get 20K miles on the front my 18" Goodyear efficientgrip tyres and about 50-60K on the rears

MFGF
13-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Clearly more powerful is likely to mean more tyre wear, but if you drive in exactly the same way with a more powerful engine as you would with a less, would tyre wear be greater?

And would you expect lightness to decrease or increase wear?

My thinking was that more power and torque equals more tyre wear, and less weight equals less tyre wear :) I was guessing these would largely negate each other to maintain a status quo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dmcconachie
13-03-2012, 11:35 PM
:-( My C6 2.0 TDi 170 has just ticked over 10k, front 2 are pretty much gone. Rears got a little more life yet. I've only had the car for the latter 2k. What could cause them to wear this quickly? Quality of road, shocking round Edinburgh!?

via Tapatalk

robbyg
14-03-2012, 12:07 AM
The power and torque wear on the tyres depends more on your right foot than the engine capability. Brakes forces and cornering are the same regardless of engine power. Its how you put down the power you have which can do the damage.

I have had various front wheel drive high torque turbo cars for a few years now (2x volvos 200+bhp, seat 1.8T 230bhp, alfa, and porsche RWD) on a variety of tyres and consistently get high 20s/low 30k miles from fronts and 50-100% more off the back. I (usually) drive very smoothly. My colleague has small engined cars and has never managed more than 8-10k from front tyres because he drives like a ****. He also complains how much fuel he uses too. His 1.6l diesel focus does worse economy than my xc60 2.5l. he will never learn....

In my experience tyre profile makes no difference.

Tyre pressure makes a big difference, keep them within + / - 5% of correct and they should wear fine. Guess same applies for wheel alignment.

Just my thoughts.

shabazmo
14-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Accelaration aside, another factor will be the speed you drive at. A car doing 90mph on the motorway will wear their tyres more than a car doing 50mph.

Blackmore Spur
14-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all your postings; only 2.5k so far so long way to go but all really useful