PDA

View Full Version : LED headlights

nealeb
09-03-2012, 10:58 PM
This is another question from the A6 forum that might well be answerable here.

I have an A6 with LED headlights. According to the brochure, these should be adaptive with main beam assist. I assumed that these would do the same as the adaptive bi-xenon (which I test-drove). These dip progressively as you approach a car in front, pretty much from main beam down to fully-dipped, and then gradually rise again as the gap increases. However, my LED headlights seem to just switch from main to dip when they see something coming, and then go back up again. They are also very reluctant to switch to main even when there's nothing around, especially in country lanes where you could do with main beam. It might be that I haven't yet given them a fair trial as I've only had the car for a few days but I could see the adaptive xenons working very easily. It seems odd to me that the more expensive option has less functionality than the cheaper (well, slightly less expensive...) and I would have assumed that the LED lights need the same self-levelling mechanism that is mandatory for xenons and which I presume is used for the continuous dip function.

Are there any LED-equipped A7 owners out there who could comment and compare notes?

nealeb
11-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Answering my own post, but might be of interest to potential A7 owners looking through the list of options, I have posted some comments on my A6 LED headlights after a session of testing. Take a look at this A6-C7 thread (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?125537-LED-headlights/page2) if you are thinking about choosing these. Given that there are very few demonstrator cars around with LED headlights, it seems, this might help illuminate the features.

Architex_mA8tey
11-03-2012, 07:19 PM
I think CraigyB has the LED headlights on his A7 but its the only one I know of to date that has them.