PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got Park Assist? / Front Facing Parking Camera

BigAid
08-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi from the C7 A6 camp........given that we're pretty much the same insides and options.....

We've come across an interesting one. Timothy's 2012 A6 SE Avant has a forward facing camera for parking and we're trying to track down what option it could possibly have come as part of.........spoke to a Dealer and he suggested it was the Park Assist which was part of the Advanced Tech Pack....

I've got the Adv Tech Pack and so has Timothy and neither of us have Park Assist.....

If has anyone got Park Assist and can they confirm if they have a forward facing parking camera - its under the middle of the 4 rings that would be great - become a mystery now..........

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?130297-C7-Options-Must-haves

Timothy Nathan
08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Maybe one of the elves at Ingolstadt just made a mistake?

BigAid
08-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Maybe one of the elves at Ingolstadt just made a mistake?

Beginning to think that.....

gbjk
09-03-2012, 04:24 PM
I have park assist added, but my new car doesn't arrive for 3 weeks.
If nobody's found out by then, I'll let you know.

In the meantime: Have you found any functional requirement for the camera?
i.e. Can you see through it somewhere in the MMI or something?

My best guess: Speed limit display option.
but I thought it was mounted on the rear view mirror.

Also: auto-dimming/adaptive length headlights are meant to use a camera, too.

G

BigAid
09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
According to Timothy the function of the camera is a forward wide angle bumper level view - presumably for parking by look of it - displayed on MMI in a similar fashion to the Rear camera.

I think its either an evolution of the Advanced parking system which they haven't launched in the brochures yet or something linked with Park Assist parking due to its wide angle close range.

I still believe Speed limit display £155 is using the camera behind the mirror which is for Lane Assist as its linked to being only order able in combination - says to me its a software thing/minor controller revision with the bulk of the hardware being included in other options

'Only available in combination with MMI Navigation Plus (PNQ or WB4), and with active lane assist (PCB), Audi side assist (PCD) or adaptive cruise control (PCG/PCN)'

The High Beam assist uses the camera behind the mirror as well.

For sure as I've got Lane Assist and High Beam assist and the only forward facing camera's i have the the one behind the mirror and the infrared camera for night vision.

gbjk
09-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Timothy,

You got a photo of what this looks like in the MMI? Would like to see.

G

Timothy Nathan
09-03-2012, 04:46 PM
I am just going out, so will take a photo, but it looks precisely the same as the rear parking camera, with the yellow track prediction and blue square for the size of the car. You won't see the difference between front and rear, I think.

BigAid
09-03-2012, 04:49 PM
http://ftp.artifax.net/misc/FrontParking.jpg

Is the camera in the grille photo Timothy posted on the other thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timothy Nathan
09-03-2012, 06:46 PM
I slightly misled you...there is no blue box on the front camera, just a red line. I don't know exactly what it means, but I can guess!
http://ftp.artifax.net/misc/audifrontcamera.jpg

BigAid
09-03-2012, 07:33 PM
What do the options on the RHS of the screen do?

Do you have side cameras as well?

- I assume 1 is front / 1 is back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timothy Nathan
09-03-2012, 08:55 PM
I certainly didn't order side cameras, but hey! what more surprises might be in store?

When I get a moment I'll see if the menu on the right is accessible, but I guess that it is just informative.

Timothy Nathan
11-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Well, since you asked so nicely:

Front Corner View:
http://ftp.artifax.net/misc/AudiCameraCornerFront.jpg

Rear Corner View:
http://ftp.artifax.net/misc/AudiCameraCornerRear.jpg

Overhead View:
http://ftp.artifax.net/misc/AudiOverheadView.JPG

The camera is the same as for front and rear views, or is housed in the same bubble.

gbjk
31-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Okay - so my audi a6 did *not* come with the front cameras or corner views.

I Chose every optional available except night vision.

I've seen it on Timothy's car, and another A6 Avant now.

Asked Audi what provides it.

It's probably the advant, but could possibly be advanced technology package (which isn't available on my 2 litre, so I just chose all the same options).

Will update when they tell me.

gbjk
31-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Oh, and by the way - I do have park assist, and it's *very* cool.

Only problem I currently have with it is that it seems to only want to park on the left hand side of the road!

I often want it to reverse into a space on the *right*, so I guess I'll always do that myself.

Another niggle is that given two free spaces next to each other, it seems to want to park in the middle,
but I think I can always fix that by just starting to reverse as soon as it finds the first space.

Timothy Nathan
03-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I spoke to an engineer at the dealers today. he had never seen a front camera on an A6 or A7 and suspects that it was just a mistake.

gbjk
03-04-2012, 05:59 PM
I can now tell you why it happened:

There's an A6 avant in crawley with the same configuration, so I was able to track down with them how it happened.

A batch of A6 avants were produced where the relevant parking system was not available for the advanced technology rear view system.
And so instead, they fitted the system from the Audi A8, apparently.

Hope this helps.

Timothy Nathan
03-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Lucky me.

The funny thing is, had it existed as an option, and had I known how useful it is, I'd've ordered it.

My house has quite big hedges and more than once in the past I have pulled out into the path of pedestrians, including children and prams. I can now stick the nose out a smidgen and see round the corners - it's great.

I have also found a new use for the rear camera. You will all know that the law about traffic lights is that neither pair of wheels may cross the stop line once the lights are red. Well, if I pull forward either to a yellow box or in anticipation of turning right, I use the camera to check that I am over the line. Sad, but true!

Q7quattro
08-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Prob a bit late to reply to this thread.

i have an A6 saloon (C7) with front camera , front corner cameras , rear camera , and rear corner cameras.

jkwelsh
14-01-2016, 02:18 PM
The front camera is part of the Parking Pack Advance - which I believe can only be ordered in conjunction with one of the Technology packs.

craigyb
19-01-2016, 09:01 PM
This is known as Top View, I have it on the S7, but front and rear only as the A7/S7 cannot be ordered with side cameras.

So it's not been put on from the A8, but it uses the same parts in the A6/A7/A8 for this function, just missing the two cameras on the A7.

A while back in 2011/2012 there was a shortage of cameras/modules and many cars ordered with them turned up without. I actually went out to several cars to retrofit the camera kits for Audi when customers complained. Maybe this is where the story of the A8 system being fitted the A6 comes from.

Q7quattro
19-01-2016, 09:38 PM
This is known as Top View, I have it on the S7, but front and rear only as the A7/S7 cannot be ordered with side cameras.

So it's not been put on from the A8, but it uses the same parts in the A6/A7/A8 for this function, just missing the two cameras on the A7.

A while back in 2011/2012 there was a shortage of cameras/modules and many cars ordered with them turned up without. I actually went out to several cars to retrofit the camera kits for Audi when customers complained. Maybe this is where the story of the A8 system being fitted the A6 comes from.

as in stated in my previous post I have front camera , front corner cameras , rear camera , rear corner cameras- is it possible to retrofit the over head camera ? - if so any idea of price ? - thanks

craigyb
22-01-2016, 06:50 PM
I wasn't answering your post, I was answering what the front/rear camera setup was in the A7.