PDA

View Full Version : knocking when turning

Mstar1.8t
08-03-2012, 01:40 AM
My car is making a knocking noise when turning. It started only when i turned right and seems to be coming from the same side. It has now started doing it when turning left or right. It seems to only be when accelerating. When i lift my foot up and turn it stops. Any ideas?

JON35Y
08-03-2012, 07:13 AM
CV joint probably. Have a look, you will most likely find that the cv boot has split or become detached. If it's knocking bad then it will require a new joint. I'd try packing it with grease and re fitting the boot first though.

mikeybutch
08-03-2012, 09:15 PM
CV is usually obvious on full lock with slight power and is a regular clunk and if its both ways on modest turns it might be roll bar bushes

Evelyn Cheshire
02-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Hi I'm a new vw cc 2013 owner. Happy with my 1 month old cc except that the knocking sound when I am turning right drives me nuts! When slowly moving off, parking, it keeps sounding. I brought it in to check at the dealership and told me they reset the motor ? Computer? And there s nothing else wrong with it. says that's how a continental car drives!
I am not convinced! Been driving an Audi a4 and never had this issue. Any advise? Why would a new car have such issues?

Evelyn Cheshire
21-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks for ur note. After another complaint, they got a more experienced foreman to go on a very detailed test drive and after testing all the turns, it happens only when it is the full right turn- suspect it is the bush - they will get it replaced.. Seems like it was loose or detached or something.. Then the sound when the car takes off there is a clunk... So they ordered a new gearbox from Germany to get it replaced. Not done yet..waiting for the arrival of the gearbox. Just hope that when they replace my 1 mth old gearbox, there's is no more sound and no other new sounds.! Let u know howit goes later. Tks again.

Betsy
09-11-2018, 11:18 AM
Hi Evelyn, did the new gearbox fix it in the end? I'm hearing something very similar in my 2008 A4 cab. Kind of hoping it's roll bar bushes, the gearbox refit sounds like a costly one.