PDA

View Full Version : Please Help (2009 Audi A4 2.0T FSI S-line) FWD or quattro

Feemy82
06-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Hi all,

I have a dilemma.

I am looking to buy a B8 Audi A4 2.0T FSI S-line with B&O upgraded sound system (because I like my music) and Sat-Nav.

Here is the dilemma. I initially thought that all 2.0T B8s were quattro which is why I was attracted to the proposition of buying a 2.0 over a 1.8. However, I have learnt that the 2.0T also come in the FWD flavour, and the car I am interested in is FWD not quattro. It is also just stretching my budget, so spending another £5-8k on a similar spec quattro would be pushing it.

What do people generally think of 2.0T FSI FWD? Is there a lot of torque steer? Does the ESP fitted in the B8s help reduce this? Is there an LSD in the new B8s? I imagine that the advances in technology would reduce torque steer etc. views please....

I'm not one to drive like a lunatic, but on an open stretch of road, it's nice to put your foot down right? I drive mainly on A-roads and sometimes on motorways. No twisty roads for me, but if I dcide to take my Mrs on a drive round the countryside, that is also a possibilty.

I have read that it all depends on how you drive the car. Yes, quattros may have the superior handling to FWD, but I don't think there is any need for me to get quattro. I guess what I am asking is: am I actually going to regret getting a FWD in place of a quattro? Quattros tend to be heavier on fuel because of the extra weight of the drivtrains.

If anyone has got either of these models, please guide me and let me know if I am making the right choice.

Thanks.

skymaster
07-03-2012, 01:03 AM
The 2WD A4s are still great cars. I think these days most of the new orders are for 2WD versions. I have owned three A4s and all of them have been Quattro. I just love the grip and handling. On a wet cold day you can put out of a gravelly side road on a hill and not lose any grip no matter how fast you try and pull out.

Also marginally more useful in the snow than a 2WD....

If you can find a car with Quattro in your price range then get one...

Feemy82
07-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the reply skymaster.

The car I am looking to buy is a 2009 B8 and comes with Sat-nav, cruise control and the upgraded B&O system, and these features attract me to the car more so than not having these at all and just having quattro.

Basically, if you had to choose, would you go for the car I want to buy, or would you go for a quattro with none of these additional extras? Unlike yourself, I won't need to pull out of a gravelly side road at great with great acceleration. There is a quattro going for a similar price (a feww hundred quid cheaper) but it does not have any of the extras that are available in the car I am looking to buy.

I will mostly use it for town driving, and the occasional coutry lane and motorway drive. But the built in sat nav is pretty good as I can use that to great effect. Also, I like my music....I'm a bit of an AUDIophile (no pun intended!) :biglaugh: so I like my music to have good sound.

Anyone driven a 2.0T B8 FWD? What's it like with traction control on? Any torque steer or great understeer under cornering?

skymaster
07-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Your best bet is to drive both and see how they drive. If you enjoy the 2WD version then go for the options.

Saying that... the Quattro option shouldn't put an insane premium on the cost of a used car... so if you look hard and long enough a Quattro with the b&o and nav might come along...

I wouldn't say torque steer was an issue with the 2WD A4s... the 2.0T isn't that powerful...

Feemy82
07-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Yeah there are a few quattros around but on average the cost goes up by £3000-4000 for a similar spec car that I am currently looking at, which already is stretching my budget. I guess when I go to the showroom on the weekend I will test drive both and see how they compare.

The quattro's range from £17000 to £20000 for 2009/2010 model and that's like £5k out my budget :(

If there is a significant difference then I will wait, otherwise I will go ahead with the FWD car.

markp306
07-03-2012, 03:02 PM
I guess what I am asking is: am I actually going to regret getting a FWD in place of a quattro? Quattros tend to be heavier on fuel because of the extra weight of the drivtrains.

Quattro does sap a few mpg but I'm not sure this is a particularly economical engine in any drivetrain format. Your journeys sounds similar to mine (mostly urban and A road, occaisional motorway) and I have to drive very carefully to get near the official mpg numbers. It requires a "different style of driving".

With regard to your comment above, I bought a FWD because the specific quattro Avant version was 6 months+ away at the time and I needed to replace a 1.8T quattro (B6 cabrio). I certainly miss the quattro drivetrain, but not the engine. ;)

Feemy82
07-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Quattro does sap a few mpg but I'm not sure this is a particularly economical engine in any drivetrain format. Your journeys sounds similar to mine (mostly urban and A road, occaisional motorway) and I have to drive very carefully to get near the official mpg numbers. It requires a "different style of driving".

With regard to your comment above, I bought a FWD because the specific quattro Avant version was 6 months+ away at the time and I needed to replace a 1.8T quattro (B6 cabrio). I certainly miss the quattro drivetrain, but not the engine. ;)

I was referring to the economy of the car in terms of weight, not power. AWD is heavier so will be less economical, not sure by how much though.

I thought I was the only guy who plays that "game" of getting the highest possible mpg, haha. It really is a way of improving the way you drive.

What do you not like about the FWD that you miss so much in the AWD?

Plife
07-03-2012, 03:58 PM
I have the quattro and recently had the 2.0 Tdi as a loan car. I found it was constantly fighting for traction when pulling away in the damp, and not even trying to get a quick getaway. Personally I would go for a quattro, but best advice is to drive both and see what you think.

Feemy82
07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I have the quattro and recently had the 2.0 Tdi as a loan car. I found it was constantly fighting for traction when pulling away in the damp, and not even trying to get a quick getaway. Personally I would go for a quattro, but best advice is to drive both and see what you think.

Cheers Plife. Nice ride btw, saw your pictures. Grrrr! :p

I am test driving the FWD on Saturday and if I like it I will probably stick with it. Did the traction control not help with the 2.0 TDi?

markp306
07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
I was referring to the economy of the car in terms of weight, not power. AWD is heavier so will be less economical, not sure by how much though.

I thought I was the only guy who plays that "game" of getting the highest possible mpg, haha. It really is a way of improving the way you drive.

Quattro is far more secure and planted on the road as well as enhanced braking, cornering and getting away on our typical greasy, poorly maintained and wet road surfaces in the UK. I can't say I ever saw the traction control light in the quattro, whereas it makes are regular appearance in FWD, but then the engine has a much higher torque figure. As above, drive them back to back and see what you think.

ScottyUK
08-03-2012, 12:29 AM
My dealer screwed my order up by forgetting quattro. When the FWD car turned up I noticed on the drive home. I kept it 6 months before my current/correct car turned up.

I've therefore had directly comparable cars of the same spec (with a few minor tweaks including I added dynamic suspension) : Both 2.0T FSI Avant S-lines.

All the 6 months did was confirm the fact that ordering the quattro was the correct decision for me.

Prior to this I had 3.5 years in a quattro TT and 5 years in a quattro B6 S4. The lack of quattro frustrated me.

There is torque steer although it's not anywhere near as bad as older models. You can get wheel tramp and ESP will kick in and cut power when booting it in damp conditions or when you do so with some steering applied.

Yes it's more expensive and yes it's about 10% more in fuel but I wouldn't swap it.

p.s. Only 1/3 of Audi's are quattro.

Plife
08-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Cheers Plife. Nice ride btw, saw your pictures. Grrrr! :p

I am test driving the FWD on Saturday and if I like it I will probably stick with it. Did the traction control not help with the 2.0 TDi?

It was the traction control kicking in, which is not something I see on my quattro even when pulling away from the same junction in damp/wet conditions.

Big Bird
08-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Like yourself, i wanted options and quattro. Tested both cars and in the end there was no question- it had to be quattro. Yes, i had to pay a bit more and also fly to London and drive back to Edinburgh, all of which i did not plan for, but boy was it worth it!!! The quattro is a great car, and fitted with B&O, sat nav, heated leather etc it's top car!!

rd1
08-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I think we all agree that the Quattro will give better grip but in your case you are looking for the overall value for your budget. When I bought mine , like you I wanted the built in sat nav and other extras such as the light pack, front and rear sensors, electric mirrors, air bags and good music connections (later had the AMI added). I think you have got to look long and hard as to what is best for you overall, you could have a Quattro drive but forever miss those extras you wanted a lot more.
For me the extras were the winner simply because I think that the FWD is pretty good and even if it does misbehave a bit when pushed hard it adds to the driving experience. You don't say whether its a saloon or avant you are going for but whatever you decide the A4 is a great car so good luck with your choices.

Simo_UK
09-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Why not by a used one and get the best of both worlds? Worked out for me, Avant Quattro and loaded with extras. The quattro drive is great, definitely worth it in my opinion!
But I get the point on the extras. Will you notice the 4wd while cruising on the motorway for 2 hrs. Nope. But you will notice the leather, B&O, AMI etc
Used car all the way for me! Let someone else lose the initial bulk!

Audi Nick
09-03-2012, 09:21 AM
I think you will need and use the extra's far more than you will need and use the quattro.

If you can not afford both (and few of us can) then go for the bling every time.

Which ever way you go, enjoy the car.

Big Bird
09-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Simo, i think he is after a used one, 2009?????

Feemy82
09-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Guys, I think I am going to go for the FWD. I know, I know, but I just feel that I may not use the 4wd to its full potential.

However, now I have another dilemma. Today I found another car which has the following specs:

AUDI A4 2. 0T FSI S-Line Saloon, 2008 (58), 46,500m, Manual, Met Grey, Sat Nav...........but no B&O or cruise control. However, and it's a big however(!) it's £3k cheaper than the other one I was hoping of buying. That was an 09 plate ok fine, but same mileage. I'm buying it from a private seler rather than audi themsleves, but he bought it as an ex-demo. Should this matter?

Do you think it's worth sacrificing the b&O and cruise control for the extra £3k?

Big Bird
09-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Hmm, i think only you and you alone can answer that.

I love my music and could not do without my B&O. I have heard concert systems and i just love the clarity and depth the B&O gives. I also do motorway miles so cruise is a big bonus.

You may have 3k in your pocket, but how long till you asked youself "i wish i had B&O and cruise.......".

Your money, your call. Me? I'd pay the extra for the right car.......................

Feemy82
09-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Agree with Simo and Audi Nick, I will use the extras a lot more.

I will let you know the results soon.

Btw, I did an HPI check (not the full thing, but just when you enter the reg into the box) and the result came back as an Audi 100 GL 1984 cc Grey ?!?!?! The colour is right, but it's not an old banger! Is there something dodgy going on? This is for the private seller's car btw. I did the same thing for the car with the audi dealer, and that comes up with AUDI A4 S LINE 211 TFSI Black which is correct.

Is this cause for concern?

Audi Nick
09-03-2012, 03:01 PM
I would ask about the plate, chances it is ok although I would not buy without all the orignial service documents etc.

This is my second car with B & O and I would not live without it and cruise is a must for long motorway journeys. I sold my last car privately (3 years and 96K miles) and the buyer got a steal with all the original documents and indeed receipts to support the stamps in the book etc, so I would recommend a private sale but like any purchase its a case of 'buyer beware'. If in doubt, stick to a main dealer but be prepared to pay for that peace of mind.

Remember that to retro fit anything to an Audi costs a kings ransom, hence my reason for loading them up when I buy a car.

Good luck

Feemy82
09-03-2012, 03:04 PM
I would ask about the plate, chances it is ok although I would not buy without all the orignial service documents etc.

This is my second car with B & O and I would not live without it and cruise is a must for long motorway journeys. I sold my last car privately (3 years and 96K miles) and the buyer got a steal with all the original documents and indeed receipts to support the stamps in the book etc, so I would recommend a private sale but like any purchase its a case of 'buyer beware'. If in doubt, stick to a main dealer but be prepared to pay for that peace of mind.

Remember that to retro fit anything to an Audi costs a kings ransom, hence my reason for loading them up when I buy a car.

Good luck

Cheers Nick! and everyone else!! Appreciate all the advice and help.

Feemy82
13-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Hey guys!

I put a deposit down for a car! Its a '58 A4 2.0T FSI S-Line FWD 46k miles with Sat Nav. No cruise control (won't really miss it) or parking sensors (i will miss!) but it was a good price. Very good condition. New exhaust. It was over £3k cheaper than the car i mentioned in my OP albeit that being sold by Audi dealer.

We shall see how satisfied I am after I collect it tomorrow. I think in the end my head ruled over my heart. I won't use cruise control that much, the B&O is just a bonus and I heard the symphony one which was pretty good. So the only thing I will really miss are the rear parking sensors. Oh well......

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone.

theskyfox
13-03-2012, 12:33 PM
For what its worth...parking sensors and cruise control are both available as aftermarket options that wont break the bank. I wouldnt advise doing it yourself, but get quotes from Audi/VW/Independents and you can get a good deal on it. My dads golf had cruise control stalk + configuration installed for £147 at VW Southend.

-Andrew

Feemy82
13-03-2012, 12:45 PM
The skyfox,

Thanks for the heads up.

I thought Audi would do it for a lot more than VW. The car I have bought was an ex-demo so it had the Sat Nav in it, but surprisingly no parking sensors or cruise control. The car was sold by Essex Audi to the guy I'm buying it from so I might go to them and see what they quote.

I would never dare to fit these myself as I am no professional technician. I can fix the odd ps3 :D but not somethng like this. I'd rather Audi do it themselves. If they quote something ridiculous over £500 for the sensors then forget it! I probably would be reluctant to go to a 3rd party company though.

Trev1349
13-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I know its a older car but i have an A4 Quattro that is awaiting repairs some **** reversed into me:aargh4: so i have been given a FWD a4 estate its a very nice car but the traction control does kick in quite a bit slightly damp road pulling out and the dash lights up in my own car just pull out and floor it nothing spinning no drama just pure drive but i can see the attraction of all the goodies but ive got a sat nav in the glove box if i need it but if your gadget driven then you will hate yourself for not buying the one with the toys this has probly not helped in the slightest sorry

Audi Nick
14-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Feemy, my 'old' B8 had parking advanced, but I had to pay for it. The rear sensors were part of the original spec but due to parts problems they were not available and the price of the car was reduced to reflect this. It was only people like myself who had both front and rear (at some cost) sensors, had them factory fitted.

My point being that the absence of a rear parking aid was 'standard' at the time. There were a lot of posts here about it at the time along with the Xenon headlights on the SE which the brochure said "yes" but the dealership and Audi said "No".

If you have never owned a Quattro you will be more than satisfied with your new car, so enjoy it.

Feemy82
15-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Hey Nick.

Thanks for the added info there. I collected my car yesterday and in all honesty I bloody love it! I think I made the right choice by sticking with FWD as there is no noticeable torque steer. In the wet, I simply turned on the ESP and the car showed very little signs of misbehaving. I don't drive rashly so FWD suits me well. Yes, everyone goes on about the Quattro being more composed etc, but tbh I'm more then happy with my car, the price I got it for, and the very good insurance I managed to get for it :)

As for the rear parking sensors, I have e-mailed Southend Audi who sold this car and asked them how much they can fit them for. Any more then £250-300 and I don't think it's worth it.

For now though, I need to play around with all the sat nav setting etc etc etc as it is a huge leap forward from my B5 A4 SE! The only minor thing I would say is that it doesn't have the optional interior light pack. My missus looked into the vanity mirror and I noticed no light comng on next to the mirror. Oh well, just have to do without it :)

Thanks guys for the input! Much appreciated. Hopefully see you on here in due course with more news/advice/stories etc.

Jutter
14-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Just got the facelifted BE and I am so glad I got the Quattro over the FWD-would never drive anything else again!

hk3948
15-04-2012, 10:41 PM

What do you mean driving style to get highest mpg? What exactly do you do. Are there online tips anywhere. I've got am2.0 tfsi Quattro.
Cheers

Feemy82
16-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Just got the facelifted BE and I am so glad I got the Quattro over the FWD-would never drive anything else again!

I went to Hever Castle and took the scenic route from Bromley and boy oh boy the FWD is so much fun to drive round the twisty roads!! There is so much grip available, more than I imagined. I can imagine how it must be like in a quattro. But for me, the FWD is a lot of fun and I had a constant grin on my face :)

Feemy82
16-04-2012, 08:58 AM
What do you mean driving style to get highest mpg? What exactly do you do. Are there online tips anywhere. I've got am2.0 tfsi Quattro.
Cheers

By this I mean driving economically. Changing gear at the right time rather than revving the engine to the max. On my car there is a gear change indicator which tells you to change to the appropriate gear for the most economical drive. I try and drive in a manner that will return me the best average mpg.

speedtrip
16-04-2012, 06:37 PM
hi chaps new here and first post;

im looking at buying an 2007 AUDI A4 2.0 TDi Quattro 170 S Line Special Edition Avante (or same but non quattro 2007)

Viewing both tmw, are similarliy priced, under £10k, black, FSH, mint apparently, 85=90K miles usual extras but the non quattro does not have leather.

How reliable it the quattro and how are the running costs in comparision.

im told the quattro is sought after but if its gonna cause me grief id rather leave it alone

im advised that all work on both is fully to date with camchain/waterpump all done, anything else?

Any advice welcome

Speedtrip

ScottyUK
16-04-2012, 10:16 PM
quattro grief is virtually unheard.

I guess you could say quattro grief is it does about 10% worse mpg.

Many have regretted buying FWD.

I don't recall anyone saying the same for quattro.

markp306
17-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Having had both configurations, I would take the quattro. It's far more planted, grippy and secure on the road. I suppose you can think of it as a safety enhancement.

There is a small mpg reduction and rear tyres may wear faster.

Anyway, as always, try them both out.

speedtrip
17-04-2012, 04:58 PM
thanks chaps

i have a seen a couple of mint 2L 170 specials and gone with the quattro 170 special edition in the end.

its got FASH etc so should be ok

nice drive back today

thx 4 your help

Speed

Zenerdiode
19-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Don't worry about the plate/car mis-match. On EuroCP site, my reg comes back as my Audi 80 Sport that I got rid of in March 2000.

I had a B5 A4 FWD (1.8T) and the car felt quite sure footed. However, (as others have posted) I love the drive of my current car. It's probably the exact spec you wanted (nobody's getting it for *at least* another 3 years though). At first I was a bit miffed about the fuel consumption (the new, fuel efficient Audis) but I'm assured by the fact I get identical consumption figures to Scotty's signature.

quattro for me isn't just about driving over the hills in deep snow, or pulling out of a junction without wheelspin or skitting around; it's more the ballance and poise you feel in a prolonged corner with a small amount of throttle.

Feemy82
25-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm absolutely loving my FWD version! I took it round the twisty roads of the Kent countryside, and it was just perfect. Plenty of fun, and bags of grip!