PDA

View Full Version : MMI version

BigAid
06-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Just had a quick look in a 61 plate in dealership with version P0518 mine is P0358

(Checking a red collar AMI lead - not compatible with mine until the mmi is upgraded :( )

There seemed to be a couple of things I don't have which it did and wondering if it was the spec or version

It's nav was newer - it had a map display - traffic view

My version 5 12.5
It's version 5 13.8

It seemed to have more options in Media > Source

I've got Jukebox, SD Card, DVD, AMI

It had a wireless - looked to be WiFi and I think it had a Bluetooth option which disappeared fairly rapidly as it wasn't turned on.

What do other people have / what's your MMI version?

To get your version

Menu > Setup MMI > Version information

Regards

Aidan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickc65
21-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Hi Aidan,

Mine is an April 2011 2.0TDI SE.

Originally this had P0396, but after it has been upgraded by the local dealer (MMI rebooted a couple of times for no apparent reason), it is now at P11474.

Great news as this fixes the reboots and also gives me video with the red grommet cable - I wouldn't normally advertise, but thank you Chelmsford Audi, you have given great customer service sorting out all the niggles with the car!

Nav database still at 10.06, but when I asked for costs of the upgrade I was told £250 or so, which unfortunately just isn't worth the cost. The service guy said this is something that they all complain about internally to Audi as it is impossible to sell at this price.

michaelsanderso
21-12-2013, 06:06 PM
I believe the one in the dealership is 3G HDD version and yours is SD?

Wuffles
21-12-2013, 08:11 PM
I believe the one in the dealership is 3G HDD version and yours is SD?

Although wouldn't that be fairly obvious by the different size screen? Or is that not standard with the HDD version.

michaelsanderso
22-12-2013, 11:51 PM
I wouldn't have thought that's obvious at all unless you've seen both sizes of screen, it might be subtle if you're not looking at them side by side, what's the size difference? I didn't know there were two but I do know that I don't have google maps and that the maps are loaded from sd.

Wuffles
23-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Well, I'd notice it for sure. OP says he has an SD, and (if I'm right) the HDD has a larger screen & different graphics, it's very different looking, ours is.

johnsimcox
23-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Well, I'd notice it for sure. OP says he has an SD, and (if I'm right) the HDD has a larger screen & different graphics, it's very different looking, ours is.
The OP has the hard disk version as he has both Jukebox and DVD in the Source menu. The difference he is seeing is that the car he looked at has Audi Connect, hence wifi etc, whilst his own car does not. The only visible difference will be the presence of the SIM card slot in the dash (which is of course hidden behind a flap on HDD cars so not that obvious), screen size will be same for both those with and without Connect

Wuffles
23-12-2013, 10:19 AM
The OP has the hard disk version as he has both Jukebox and DVD in the Source menu. The difference he is seeing is that the car he looked at has Audi Connect, hence wifi etc, whilst his own car does not. The only visible difference will be the presence of the SIM card slot not he dash (which is of course hidden behind a flap on HDD cars so not that obvious), screen size will be same for both those with and without Connect

You're both right, I saw the words SD CARD in red in the original post when I scanned through it and assumed. Whoops. As you were.

johnsimcox
23-12-2013, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't have thought that's obvious at all unless you've seen both sizes of screen, it might be subtle if you're not looking at them side by side, what's the size difference? I didn't know there were two but I do know that I don't have google maps and that the maps are loaded from sd.
SD card version (known as RMC) has a much thicker boarder to the pop-up screen than those with the hard drive version (also know as 3G+) and thus a smaller screen size. As per my other post this would have not been obvious to the OP as he was comparing 3G+ with 3G+. You only get Google maps on the 3G+ system and then only with Audi Connect and that then also requires either an rSAP compatible phone or putting a SIM card in the slot on the dash. That then opens a whole can of works about what does and doesn't work and which model year you have. If you are interested in knowing more do a search as there is massive of stuff on this forum about it.

nickc65
23-12-2013, 11:33 AM
Anyone know if it is possible to retrofit the 8" screen to the RMC equipped model (SD cards) - as having a bigger screen in the front would be good when I have a little man watching from the backseat?

michaelsanderso
23-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Ok so after this post I'm now wondering whether it's possible to retrofit HDD 3G to mine which has RMC?

johnsimcox
23-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Ok so after this post I'm now wondering whether it's possible to retrofit HDD 3G to mine which has RMC?
Anything is usually possible if you have deep pockets! Kufatec do the kit at £3k plus fitting http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/audi/a6/a6-4g/retrofit-set-mmi3g-navigation-audi-a6-a7-4g . Almost certainly not worth it and if you want Audi Connect that will be extra

nickc65
24-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Any ideas on how much just for the screen - I'm honestly not that fussed about the HDD 3G - am buying an old iPod Touch on an auction site (64GB for approx £70...)

mark_ellis
31-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Hi Aidan

Hope you don't mind me asking a question in relation to the above. I am currently negotiating the purchase of an Audi A6 (C7) 2.0 TDI SE, registered in July 2011. I am very keen to have possibility of album art/video on the screen and that compatability with my ipod.

The dealer has so far agreed to include a red grommet cable in the deal, but do I also need a "Tech Pack" installed on the car, or HDD sat nav with the MMI3G+, for this to work?

I'm trying to see if I'm just chasing the impossible, or if the red lead would be sufficient in itself. To my knowledge, the car does NOT have any tech pack installed, but it has SD card Sat Nav, and the audi music interface / dongle thing in the arm rest, so I directly connect up to an ipod.

Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks, Mark.

BigAid
31-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Hi Aidan

Hope you don't mind me asking a question in relation to the above. I am currently negotiating the purchase of an Audi A6 (C7) 2.0 TDI SE, registered in July 2011. I am very keen to have possibility of album art/video on the screen and that compatability with my ipod.

The dealer has so far agreed to include a red grommet cable in the deal, but do I also need a "Tech Pack" installed on the car, or HDD sat nav with the MMI3G+, for this to work?

I'm trying to see if I'm just chasing the impossible, or if the red lead would be sufficient in itself. To my knowledge, the car does NOT have any tech pack installed, but it has SD card Sat Nav, and the audi music interface / dongle thing in the arm rest, so I directly connect up to an ipod.

Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks, Mark.

Hi Mark,

It should do from feedback from others with the 2011MY cars and SD Card only Satnav.

The only issue you might have is the version of the MMI if it was an early car.

See firmware versions and discussion on this other thread.

AMI leads - if you're buying one - make sure you get the one with a red collar (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?129166-AMI-leads-if-you-re-buying-one-make-sure-you-get-the-one-with-a-red-collar)

Regards,

Aidan

johnsimcox
31-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Hi Aidan

Any advice appreciated!

Many thanks, Mark.

You do not need the Tech Pack to get artwork or to play video from an iPod via the AMI. You do need the red grommet cable and will need either an iOS device with the 30pin connector (but not the original iPhone or I think the iPod Touch 1G) or the iPod Nano 6G (the last one before the move to the small connector). Obviously without the HDD based nav system you will have the smaller screen but that is what I have and it is fine. You can also get Album artwork and video from media stored on an SD card in the second slot (first is for navigation). It may be (and I have no knowledge of this but if it doesn't work straight away then worth checking) but an July 11 car may require an MMI firmware update. My car is June 12 and it works fine but the red grommet cable was only released in early 2012 so older cars may not have been configured for it. You may also find that to get it to work you will need to turn the iDevice off after you have connected it and then restart the device with it still connected to the AMI so that both parts recognise the type of device connected

nickc65
31-03-2014, 03:20 PM
You do not need the Tech Pack to get artwork or to play video from an iPod via the AMI. You do need the red grommet cable and will need either an iOS device with the 30pin connector (but not the original iPhone or I think the iPod Touch 1G) or the iPod Nano 6G (the last one before the move to the small connector). Obviously without the HDD based nav system you will have the smaller screen but that is what I have and it is fine. You can also get Album artwork and video from media stored on an SD card in the second slot (first is for navigation). It may be (and I have no knowledge of this but if it doesn't work straight away then worth checking) but an July 11 car may require an MMI firmware update. My car is June 12 and it works fine but the red grommet cable was only released in early 2012 so older cars may not have been configured for it. You may also find that to get it to work you will need to turn the iDevice off after you have connected it and then restart the device with it still connected to the AMI so that both parts recognise the type of device connected

Just a quick follow up on this one.

Mine is an April 2011 and after a firmware update (details in the link that BigAid included earlier) I can now play videos through my iPhone and iPod onto the screen using the red grommet cable. What I can't do (and be interested in finding out where we are different John) is play videos through the SD card reader - I only get audio no matter what format I use.

johnsimcox
31-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Just a quick follow up on this one.

Mine is an April 2011 and after a firmware update (details in the link that BigAid included earlier) I can now play videos through my iPhone and iPod onto the screen using the red grommet cable. What I can't do (and be interested in finding out where we are different John) is play videos through the SD card reader - I only get audio no matter what format I use.

I am only going on what I have heard regarding video from sd card I have not tried it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark_ellis
31-03-2014, 03:28 PM
Many thanks everyone for your time and your views.

I will follow up with the dealer to ensure the correct cable is supplied and MMI firmware is updated. Very much looking forward to the new car! :)

All the best, Mark.