PDA

View Full Version : How can I dissable the passenger airbag (fabia 53plate)

chrisfraser05
05-03-2012, 08:15 PM
After my son stopping breathing in the car my wife can't have him on his own in the back of the car. Unfortunately I'm not in the position to get her a different car and there is no switch in the glove box :(

Is there a fuse I can pull does anyone know?

Thanks, chris

phil miller
05-03-2012, 08:26 PM
No mate i dont think you can just pull a fuse, as the whole airbag system is run off one fuse, how old is your son? you could ask your garage to disconnect the n/s airbag altho they may say no as its a safety feature, the problem with doing it this way is your airbag light will be on all the time

chrisfraser05
05-03-2012, 08:28 PM
He's only a month now mate.

Any idea if it can be done via Vag com?

phil miller
05-03-2012, 08:31 PM
He's only a month now mate.

Any idea if it can be done via Vag com?

rear facing car seat, ok it may be poss with VCDS ive never tried it, gotta be worth a go, the thing is if whoever does it (if it can be done) will have to be 100% sure its dissabled, thats why a total disconnection would be my favoured route

chrisfraser05
05-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Cheers for your help mate. I will have a look about and maybe speak to the skoda dealer (try to avoid dealers where possible lol).

I wonder if the switch can be retrofitted???

Hmmmm

chrisfraser05
26-03-2012, 11:45 PM
managed to turn it off with VAG com :)

I've got the hexi one if that makes any odds

phil miller
27-03-2012, 12:19 AM
managed to turn it off with VAG com :)

I've got the hexi one if that makes any odds

Ideal mate, can you PM me how you done it so if I'm asked I can do it with VCDS instead of a total disconnection please mate

chrisfraser05
27-03-2012, 12:28 AM
I was using the latest software from rosstech, http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

hexi connector type and updated to firmware 1.82 version.

I just selected airbags on the right hand side (block 7 possibly) and went into view everything. I was able to set the value for passenger airbag to 0 in there. Then on viewing it came up with drivers bag enabled, passengers dissabled.

When starting the car the airbag light does flash then stay on signifying the airbag is dissabled, pluging back in shows no fault codes, just the dissabled bag.

I will check the exact block etc when I get home (this weekend) and see if theres anything I missed. Only took 10 mins poking about to find it anyway :)

might be version 1.87 actually.... whatever the newest one is lol