PDA

View Full Version : Vag diagnostic tools. A summary.

Ben
29-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Please will someone in the know write a brief idiots guide explaining what the following programs are, what they do, where to obtain them and how much licences cost plus any other applicable information. Vagcom, vagtacho, rosstech, vagproducts. I know 2 are websites and 2 are programs. Are there any other outlets and programs that i've left off the list? Many thanks.

dessimpson
29-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Please will someone in the know write a brief idiots guide explaining what the following programs are, what they do, where to obtain them and how much licences cost plus any other applicable information. Vagcom, vagtacho, rosstech, vagproducts. I know 2 are websites and 2 are programs. Are there any other outlets and programs that i've left off the list? Many thanks.

I'll second that request :)

Ben
30-07-2007, 08:03 PM
so is VAG TACHO a different program to VAGCOM and nowi'v read of VAG CAN COMMANDERif so what can one do that the other can't and vice versa. I heard that TACHO can get pin numbers for keys and can do something with mileage. What can VAG COM do and VAG CAN COMMANDER.? Then there are the websites that get quoted all the time, VAG PRODUCTS and ROSSTECH. Who does what. Then there are all the cables, why so many different types? Does VAG COM need one type of cable and VAGTACHO need another so on and so forth or does the type of cable and programe required depend on the age of the vehicle.

now i've looked at eshrules page here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=40830#post40830) and i'm sitll confused. Whats the difference between a USB KKL Vagcom cable and a USB Canbus Vagcom Cable other than the price.

its like buying a car, you do't get the blue one or the one that has a fast sounding name, You want to know what it does, what features it hes etc etc.

Eshrules
31-07-2007, 12:02 AM
so is VAG TACHO a different program to VAGCOM and nowi'v read of VAG CAN COMMANDERif so what can one do that the other can't and vice versa. I heard that TACHO can get pin numbers for keys and can do something with mileage. What can VAG COM do and VAG CAN COMMANDER.? Then there are the websites that get quoted all the time, VAG PRODUCTS and ROSSTECH. Who does what. Then there are all the cables, why so many different types? Does VAG COM need one type of cable and VAGTACHO need another so on and so forth or does the type of cable and programe required depend on the age of the vehicle.

now i've looked at eshrules page here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=40830#post40830) and i'm sitll confused. Whats the difference between a USB KKL Vagcom cable and a USB Canbus Vagcom Cable other than the price.

its like buying a car, you do't get the blue one or the one that has a fast sounding name, You want to know what it does, what features it hes etc etc.

ok. ill try to answer your questions and take it from there ;)

Vagtacho and vagcan commander, are basically the same item BUT tacho works on non canbus vehicles, whereas the vagcan commander, does.

now, canbus is (correct me if im wrong here) the new protocol brought in with the new range of VAGs from 2005 onwards, such as the mk5 golf.

anything before that, is non canbus compliant.

so for instance, a golf mk4 registered in 2000, would require a vagtacho to read the 4 digit pin from the immobiliser.

a golf mk5 registered in 2005 would require the vagcan commander to read the pin from the immobiliser.

VagCOM is, in the main, a diagnostic program. it started life as VWtool, i believe the story stands that the guy who designed VWtool passed away, leaving Hue (sp?) Ross to take the raw code of VWtool, re write it and produce what we all know as vagcom today.

vagcom can be used in conjunction with the tacho/commander interfaces to code new keys and fobs to the immobiliser and alarm system.

in regards to the differing vagcom cables, im not entirely sure what the differences are there, some are hex-can etc. i will be looking into this more myself. the main ones which are used are the USB KKl leads, whether they be 3rd party or official rosstech leads.

the same sort of rule applies to vagCOM cables that applies to tacho/commander. in that pre 2005 are not canbus, so require a certain vagcom lead, post 2005 ARE canbus, so require a different lead and have a more recent version of vagcom also.

this is where it gets a little more confusing.... the newer version of vagcom doesnt really allow for 3rd party leads, as the authentication is built into the lead itself, the lead acts as a dongle....

it is all quite confusing and im far from expert in this field :Blush2:

dessimpson
31-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks, that's cleared it up a bit :)

One quick question. Are all the cables usb?? (i have com ports on my little laptop ;))

I take it as my car is a mkIV (2002) I need a vagtacho cable and the free version of vagcom should be fine (as i just plan to have a look around :o)

Des

Eshrules
31-07-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks, that's cleared it up a bit :)

One quick question. Are all the cables usb?? (i have com ports on my little laptop ;))

I take it as my car is a mkIV (2002) I need a vagtacho cable and the free version of vagcom should be fine (as i just plan to have a look around :o)

Des

not all cables are USB, no, i believe com and serial cables are available....

if you intend to code multiple keys to your car, vagtacho and a full version of vagcom would be needed. if you only want to code the one key, you'd be fine with just vagtacho.

vagtacho doesn't seem to like coding more than one key for some strange reason. :(

and yes, you should be fine with it being a 2002 ;)

Petef
31-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi guys

(my first post here...... so go easy on me )

Anyway, just be wary of some cables with serial connectors. I was looking for one the other week and found that the majority on Ebay require an interface between the cable and the computer. I'm guessing it's some sort of optical isolator/data buffer..... I'm not sure... Just be wary when you buy one that it may be designed to use some additional kit that you haven't accounted for. I've managed to track one down and recieved it this morning from china.... will let you know how it goes.

Laters
Pete F

Audi_Butler
21-02-2008, 04:13 PM
now, canbus is (correct me if im wrong here) the new protocol brought in with the new range of VAGs from 2005 onwards, such as the mk5 golf.

Can I just add that I read this in a lot of places. I have a 2004 54 plate Audi A3 2.0 TDI and after a lot of reading I purchased what I believed to be the right cable. A KEY-USB cable as my car is 2004 registered.

It turns out I need a CAN-BUS cable to access mine. So although everyones saying pre 2005 cars aren't CAN-BUS, it's best to go by the chassis number on your car to find out what cable you need. You can find CAN-BUS cars here http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/canbus.html and if your cars not listed there it's safe to say you don't need a CAN-BUS cable.

The chassis number is the 7th and 8th digits on your VIN. You can read this post to clarify. http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=116

I hope that stops some other 54 plate Audi drivers having the problem that I had!

Cheers.

Butler.

Audi A4 Lover
21-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Right I think Ill get shouted at here for being stupid and asking questions that have already been answerd, BUT im going to ask anyway. Iv got a 98' A4, Iv also got a KWP2000 usb code reader/ECU flasher, now the origional software I got with this went walkies soon after I got it, and Iv not actually used it yet as the Audi is new to me and my other cars dont have OBD ports on them ( 2x 1977 MGB's).So Im wondering if I can download one of the free programs to have a fiddle with my Audi's mind?Or am I going to have to get a different cabe?

Theresias
21-02-2008, 10:43 PM
(Since the original message has been deleted, no need for the reply either.) ;)

onzarob
21-02-2008, 11:23 PM
I use a third party KKL cable with the VAG-COM 409.1 software, registered for $99 works a treat for my car, but would recommend a genuine only cable for the later can-bus as anything else is not.

worldiagnostic
22-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks for fast response, Rob. I would also recommend original equipment, especially for more serious tasks.

Uwe@Ross-Tech
22-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I'd like to try to put this thread back on topic and start at the beginning:

VAG-COM is a program produced and supported by Ross-Tech LLC (http://www.Ross-Tech.com). The first version of VAG-COM was released in May of 2000, back when Ross-Tech was a one man operation. The idea behind VAG-COM has been to produce a tool with capabilities similar to the dealers' tools, but at a price which every enthusiast can afford. I make no secret of the fact that I own Ross-Tech.

VagTacho is a program with more limited and specialized functionality. Basically it can do two things: Alter the odometer reading in many instrument clusters and extract the immobilizer PINs. The dealers' tools can do neither of these things. VAG Tacho is produced by the guy who owns this page (http://www.maltchev.com/kiti/).

VagProduct is a website run by someone in the China, which offers an assortment of products, some of which are legit, but quite a few are simply pirate copies of someone else's work.

VAG CAN COMMANDER is also a product focused on odometers and Immobilizers but works with many newer cars than VAG Tacho and is considerably more expensive. It is produced by these guys that own this site (http://www.abritus72.com/).

Please see our CAN Bus Information page (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/canbus.html) for a comprehensive list of which cars require CAN for diagnostics.

VagCOM is, in the main, a diagnostic program. it started life as VWtool, i believe the story stands that the guy who designed VWtool passed away, leaving Hue (sp?) Ross to take the raw code of VWtool, re write it and produce what we all know as vagcom today.

VAG-COM was inspired by an older program called VWTool. I had purchased a copy back in 1998 for my own personal use. Depending on where you bought it, VWTool cost between $400 and $800. After VWTool's author passed away in 1999 and it became obvious that the program's new owners were clueless and could not maintain or enhance it, I decided I could do better. VAG-COM is the result. However, VAG-COM does not contain any code from VWTool. VWTool was written entirely in Visual Basic. VAG-COM is written from scratch entirely in C/C++.

I hope that clarifies some things. If anyone has additional questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

-Uwe-

Sam
22-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks Uwe (Hue - heheh!) for the run down.

kimandsally
22-02-2008, 11:09 PM
I'd like to try to put this thread back on topic and start at the beginning:

VAG-COM is a program produced and supported by Ross-Tech LLC (http://www.Ross-Tech.com). The first version of VAG-COM was released in May of 2000, back when Ross-Tech was a one man operation. The idea behind VAG-COM has been to produce a tool with capabilities similar to the dealers' tools, but at a price which every enthusiast can afford. I make no secret of the fact that I own Ross-Tech.

VagTacho is a program with more limited and specialized functionality. Basically it can do two things: Alter the odometer reading in many instrument clusters and extract the immobilizer PINs. The dealers' tools can do neither of these things. VAG Tacho is produced by the guy who owns this page (http://www.maltchev.com/kiti/).

VagProduct is a website run by someone in the China, which offers an assortment of products, some of which are legit, but quite a few are simply pirate copies of someone else's work.

VAG CAN COMMANDER is also a product focused on odometers and Immobilizers but works with many newer cars than VAG Tacho and is considerably more expensive. It is produced by these guys that own this site (http://www.abritus72.com/).

Please see our CAN Bus Information page (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/canbus.html) for a comprehensive list of which cars require CAN for diagnostics.

VAG-COM was inspired by an older program called VWTool. I had purchased a copy back in 1998 for my own personal use. Depending on where you bought it, VWTool cost between $400 and $800. After VWTool's author passed away in 1999 and it became obvious that the program's new owners were clueless and could not maintain or enhance it, I decided I could do better. VAG-COM is the result. However, VAG-COM does not contain any code from VWTool. VWTool was written entirely in Visual Basic. VAG-COM is written from scratch entirely in C/C++.

I hope that clarifies some things. If anyone has additional questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

-Uwe-

Please can you advise me what I would need for a VW Sharan? I've been to your website and unless I'm mistaken the Sharan isn't listed?

I want to be able to interogate everything to make sure everything is working correct as it's under a warranty so I can get it fixed for free if anything is wrong. I would also like the choice to be able to change things like the VW workshop can.

I link to your website showing what I need to order will be usefull.

Thank you.

Uwe@Ross-Tech
23-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Any of our interfaces except the Micro-CAN will work with a Sharan.

A KEY-series would be the most cost-effective solution which includes a fully licensed current version, future updates, and start-up support from the people who make the software.

A HEX+CAN-series would have the added benefit of being compatible with the latest cars that require a direct CAN connection for diagnostics.

Both are available in your choice of RS-232 (serial) or USB.

-Uwe-

kimandsally
23-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Any of our interfaces except the Micro-CAN will work with a Sharan.

A KEY-series would be the most cost-effective solution which includes a fully licensed current version, future updates, and start-up support from the people who make the software.

A HEX+CAN-series would have the added benefit of being compatible with the latest cars that require a direct CAN connection for diagnostics.

Both are available in your choice of RS-232 (serial) or USB.

-Uwe-

Thank you for that you will be getting my order as soon as I have some cash.:beerchug::beerchug:

Crasher
16-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Can I just add my few pence worth, VAG-COM (or VCDS as it is now known) is an invaluable tool for me, part of my daily life and I simply could not function without it. Those interfaces that try to circumvent the licensing and legal use of proper VAG-COM software are wrong and should be avoided by anyone with an ounce of common decency. If Ross Tech’s skills and knowledge are abused by people stealing their software, there will be less money in their kitty to develop this product further and those that lose will be us who use the software legally.

kimandsally
16-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Can I just add my few pence worth, VAG-COM (or VCDS as it is now known) is an invaluable tool for me, part of my daily life and I simply could not function without it. Those interfaces that try to circumvent the licensing and legal use of proper VAG-COM software are wrong and should be avoided by anyone with an ounce of common decency. If Ross Tech’s skills and knowledge are abused by people stealing their software, there will be less money in their kitty to develop this product further and those that lose will be us who use the software legally.

Agreed and applaud you, it's like anything though unfortunately it happens. Also if everyone were to buy legit then the costs would probably reduce and Ross Tech should still make more money. Reps added :beerchug: