PDA

View Full Version : How do everyone! Noob Audi Owner Here!

Samuraibunni
04-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Hey guys, just popping in to say "hi"!! I got my first A4 today, a nice 98 A4 1.8 (after being a Renault Megane 1.6 owner for a year - the Audi engine is soooo smooth!).

Now, apart from the consmetics (she's in dire need of a bit of a T-Cut unfortunately) there are a couple of minor niggles; and therefore I'm asking for some advice from the experts!

Firstly, the airbag light is on, I've heard tell that this may be a loose wire under the drivers seat, but is there any way of clearing it without a code reader?

Secondly and most importantly, the oil is in desperate need of a change, which weather permitting, I plan on doing this week after work one evening, but which to use? Is this stuff ok (the car is on 114k):

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_72 3401_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

or should I go for this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_74 3651_langId_-1_categoryId_165581

Bear in mind that I'm going to be changing it often every 6 to 8k. There's also the Tesco own and ********* own brands..but not sure on those!

Cheers for the help guys! Once I get the car running tip-top, then I can start in the cosmetic improvements...wooo!

phil miller
04-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi mate welcome to the site, the A4 is a great car, as for oil id use a 5w 30 or 10w 40, but get a good brand not tesco own brand (i know but come on they sell food not engine oil)

you will need to have it code read to clear the faults, it could well be a loose plug but better to have it scanned than guess mate

if you need any parts let me know ive got a 1.8 passat that im breaking, most parts are inter changable if you need anything mate

Samuraibunni
04-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Awesome, cheers Phil. I probably will do - the bonnet cable the same? (Mine bloody snapped when I got it home, though I managed to pop it from behind the rad...now I need to do it again lol)

As for oil, that's what I thought about tesco. So the Mobil 3000 x1

Grade: 5W/30
Oil Type: Fully Synthetic
Size (litres): 5.0
ACEA: A1 B1
API: SL
Petrol/Diesel: Petrol

Size: 5 litres(the cheaper one of the two I posted) should be ok then?

phil miller
04-03-2012, 10:32 PM
yeah mate that will be fine

the bonnet cable is the same as well :biggthump

Samuraibunni
04-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Coolios! How much do you want for it?

phil miller
04-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Coolios! How much do you want for it?

i dunno say £7 inc p&p?

Samuraibunni
04-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Cool, done! Lol, there we go. Hows about I give you a tenner to cover the P&P? How do you want me to pay? You got a paypal account?

phil miller
04-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Cool, done! Lol, there we go. Hows about I give you a tenner to cover the P&P? How do you want me to pay? You got a paypal account?

Thank you mate, Yeah paypals good with me my addie is millerphillip@sky.com i will get it in the post to you tomorrow mate

Samuraibunni
04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Done and done! I've just transferred the spondoolies!

Cheers again.

phil miller
04-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Done and done! I've just transferred the spondoolies!

Cheers again.

Thank you mate, will get it sent out tomorrow, did you include your address with the payment?

phil miller
04-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Thank you mate, will get it sent out tomorrow, did you include your address with the payment?

just looked and yes you did, i should have looked first lol

Samuraibunni
05-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks mate! I did, let me know if you haven't got it.

phil miller
05-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks mate! I did, let me know if you haven't got it.

All packed up and posted, although i think i got to the post office after last collection mate

aerotec
23-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Yeah I have had the Air Bag light on for a few years now. Garage said it was a poor connection between the plugs under the front seats for the seat airbags. They recommended soldering them together. Not done it yet. If you do it and get the display reset let me know if that works.

Hopefully they will still go off in an accident. If it had been the steering wheel air bag that was faulty I would have pursued getting it fixed right away.