PDA

View Full Version : battery drain

vinpetrol
03-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi All
I have a problem with my 2002 1.9tdi draining the battery .

It seems to take a charge but if its left at all it can drain very quickly.
I dont know if this is coincidental but I have just replaced the wiper linkage . No electrical issues with this task other than disconnecting wiper motor and reconnecting it but I did need to remove a cover over an electrical box of some sort on the left side of engine bay near the bulk head and it snowed so some moisture may of got in there. Also some of the lights have been coming on on there own although this seems to have stopped now. The car has been parked up for quite a while.

Any help greatly appreciated

Vin

nevo
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
That box is your ecu,I would dry it out with a hair dryer gently,and make sure its water tight,if its still draining down ,try removing some fuses one at a time to see whats using current,start with the wiper motor you have reconnected.

vinpetrol
04-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks nevo
I will give it a try today. Could I of permanently damaged it or are they quite easy to dry out ?

Vin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nevo
04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
there's a lot of sensitive chips in there,also check the connections haven't been dislodged,just gentle drying though.

vinpetrol
04-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Should I take it off the car to dry it out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nevo
04-03-2012, 02:33 PM
No I wouldn't take it out just push the connectors tight,the battery drain could be something else.