PDA

View Full Version : Buying a blank keyfob for an A4

iano
03-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I've only got one original key for my car. You can buy blank original 3 butrton audi items on ebay - but it says that the key has to be 'coded' to my car (as well as being cut).

Is coding is merely a matter of sticking it in the ignition and starting the car - as is done if I change the battery on the original key. Or is it more involved?

Cheers...

kite
03-03-2012, 08:45 PM
A dealer will have to code the key to the immobiliser. I know dealers charge quite a bit for new keys but I think it's the safest way.
If you buy one from EBay it must be the correct frequency and part number

From a phone that's smarter than me...

danclyon
04-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Agree with Kite - they aren't that expensive at the dealers, and you'll still need someone to code it to the car, which typically is only a select few places or the dealer anyway.....

iano
05-03-2012, 08:55 AM
I suppose I'm succumbing to horror stories before I actually check out the cost at the dealers. I'm in Ireland though - we call it Rip Off Ireland due to the differential in costs ("our being a small island nation and thus market" - the perennial justification for the rip off) between here and Engand.

And it's probably not worth the trip up to Norn Ayrland where prices are cheaper.

I'll let you know for the fun of it..

moggie93
07-03-2012, 07:28 AM
As kite says.. A new fob can be bought from eBay for around £30 complete.. This needs to have a brand new transponder in it as they can only be programmed once.. Most key cutting places can cut the blade , usually less than £5 and all that's left is to get it coded to your immobiliser.. This can be done using vcds.
M