PDA

View Full Version : Problem fitting front mud flaps

Tradewind25
03-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Hi

Just taken delivery of my new Passat Estate and so far very impressed.
I've purchased a set of mud flaps (front & back) and this afternoon read through the fitting instructions. I foresee a big problem fitting the front ones (VW part No. 3C0 075 111). I wonder if anyone has fitted these successfully and could offer some advice?

The problem I foresee is the need to fold the two rubber tabs at the top of the flaps around the edge of the wheel arch. How is this possible when there is a tightly fitting plastic cover inside the wheel arch? I can see no way of folding the tabs over with this cover in place; especially as this needs to be done after fitting the screws on the lower parts of the flaps.

Geoff

MikeM46
13-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Have to say I chickened out on this for my B6 estate the other day & went for the VW all inclusive supply & fit deals for front & rearc, £65 each end. If you bought them from a VW dealer, they might be prepared to also fit for the extra cost over purchase?

Geoff233
29-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi
Just bought passat also, bought mudflaps front an back and as was told it would be £85 for front fitting an £85 for back extra I asked how hard it would be to fit myself.

Found same prob when opening the box, So also chickened out for now. would be nice for better instructions on how to fit.

Anyone have these ?

MikeM46
29-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Just to add that though high quality, I'm quite annoyed that the front ones are just too long and scrape away over kerb drop downs, short sharp speed bumps etc. Certainly wouldn't recommend them for the sport version with lowered suspension! Might have to indulge in a little trimming 'cos the noise can be alarming! :zx11:

Rear ones were not quite so problemmatic, but got round that by fitting rubber spring assisters which have also very nicely slightly stiffened/beefed up the travel on the rear suspension (also fitted to my previous B4 & B5 estates).

Geoff233
29-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Now youve scared me ! Ive just Bought a Passat 2.0 tdi sport 170 (and living in a area with loads of speed bumps)

The last passat I had came with shall i say copy cat mudflaps although dealer charged me for VW ones, and the Dremmill had to come out due to what youve added.

Since then though Ive run a Golf 2.0 GT and that had mud flaps on that was ok !

Maybe ask if they will take em back due to scrapin floor then :biglaugh:

MikeM46
01-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Normal (huh!) speedbumps would probably be ok, it's those small/short but high profile ones where you have to slow down considerably to get over them without crashing the suspension ... & also, if like me you have to come down off a moderately higher level (e.g. 8-10 cm, such as from your parking space down onto the road) where as the wheel comes down, the suspension gives enough for the body to lower sufficiently for that :mad: scraping noise to be provoked.

MikeM46
01-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Oh-oh! ... just picked this up from a 2007 thread!

" Re: Fitting mud flaps - easy? - and spare key

You have to remove the wheels to fit and some drilling required...if you got no patience get the dealer to fit;)

Also if you have a sport or had the sport package option which I got..personelly would not recommend mud flaps as they scrape the road on heavy cornering..and speed humps dont even go there:zx11:

Last edited by VwAdy; 13-12-2007 at 04:52 PM. "

tanto65
05-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi Geoff,

Wife taking delvery of a new Passat Estate on 9th May, and I have to fit the mudflaps to it next weekend, weather permitting. Had a look at cars in the dealers today to check the fit and must say it looks fairly straight forward. However the proof is in the pudding as they say, so I will see how it goes and keep you informed.

Dave.