PDA

View Full Version : Which A3 airfilter - Oiled or not oiled???

rosso rocket
03-03-2012, 01:40 PM
I am thinking of putting in an aftermarket air filter to improve airflow into the engine....

Did this with my Golf turbo, but made the mistake of using a K&N which was oiled and this screwed up the MAF sensor. expensive replacement and then just a mesh cone filter from Jabba.

Excuse my ignorance but is there a MAF sensor on the 2.0tdi 170 engine 2006/7?

What would you recommend as a more effective faster flow replacement filter? Piprcross, Green Filter, K&N, or other????

Cheers

seventh-heaven
03-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Have used K&N filter in several cars with MAF's including 2 A3 TDi's without any problems. Issue is not to over oil after it is cleaned.

rosso rocket
03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Any other brands or experiences out there???

cloughy
03-03-2012, 08:36 PM
in my humble opinion your better off going OEM with a filter for a few quid as you wouldn't see any performance benefit with just a stock air filter housing (got a filter off eurocarparts for £6 and change every 6 months)

NHN
04-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeap either stick with oem or go with aftermarket intake like a bma cda of which I use as no filters to change out, oiling filters for me, is a mistake, no matter how little you put on, it still gets onto the sensor eventually & can have detrimental effects, thus incorrect fuelling etc.

There were tests conducted on oem filters & others, they actually found the oem flowed same if not better than others, take from that what you like :)

rosso rocket
18-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I have now fitted a Pipercross replacement foam panel filter, which after speaking with Pipercross directly, confirm requires no oil at all - jsut a wash every now and then. Cost £35 for lifetime use.
Have driven some 2500 with it fitted now and it does feel as if the engine has a little more power and definately feels 'free-er' running.
Economy hasn't dropped...if anything it seems to be better - on a 408 mile ound trip to Redruth in Cornwall, I could get 54-56mpg on dual carriageways and motorways running around 70-75 mph av. Pretty good I thought.