PDA

View Full Version : It's been foggy for the last couple of days...

JonMarsh
02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
...and the front fog lights are useless. I have the Xenons fitted and am faced with a bright white curtain in front of me (and yes that is dipped!). Put on the fog lights and the bright white curtain develops a slight warm yellow tinge at the extremities. Nice affect but doesn’t add to the driving experience! So, has anybody got any ideas as to what use I can put the front fog lights?

gamichea
05-03-2012, 12:29 PM
To get the benefit of front fog lights in these conditions you have to turn off the headlamps and drive slowly on sides plus fogs only. No headlamps penetrate fog significantly because the light they produce is reflected by the water droplets that make up the fog. Foglights alone should give a wide flat light pattern that illuminates the kerbs/verges and road surface for a short distance and no more.

Eshrules
05-03-2012, 02:29 PM
what 'e said ^ it's nice to see some people actually understand how fog lights should be used.

JonMarsh
08-03-2012, 02:22 PM
I totaly understand the way fog lights are supposed to work, ie, giving a flat beam, (and, yes, I should have said that I did try with just foglights and sidelights.) but the effect of lighting the two candles called foglights gave hardly any illumination. If what you mean by "drive slowly" to be just above walking pace then I'm delighted to say that I've found a use for the foglights. The visibility offered by the xenons, even with the glare, was far superior (and I felt safer) than the foglights (this being unlit country lanes). So let me rephase the question - has anybody found that the foglights provide sufficient visibilty for driving with just them and sidelights?

Sam
08-03-2012, 03:38 PM
The simple answer to your (rephrased) question is no.

In my experience (I live in country lanes which always seem to be foggy regardless of the weather) forward facing foglights are one step away from useless when relied upon to illuminate a path through fog.

Short of fitting a Paris/Dakar style light bar there's little you can do to penetrate fog :(