PDA

View Full Version : A6 S-Line diesel Auto, much different to manual?

Naseem
02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi all,

I've been offered an A6 S-Line 2L diesel avant as a courtesy car as someone drove into the back of my A4, which I'm looking forward to I must admit.

However, it's an auto which I've not driven one off since 1998 (hated it). I know they've moved on a lot since then, but are they still much different to drive than a manual?

It's being delivered on Monday by Audi and I assume(hope) they'll show me how to use the auto gearbox/pedal setup.

I hope this doesn't sound too stupid.

Thanks

Nas

ianfarnham
02-03-2012, 09:00 PM
My tip is to tuck your left leg well back (almost under the seat) that way you wont be tempted to stamp on the clutch (=brake pedal). Otherwise I'm sure your natural instincts will take over and it'll seem incredibly straight forward, I'm sure th basic techniques have not changed in years although lots of extras abound. Would be worth trying hill starts on an empty sideroad just to build confidence but I'm sure you''ll find it very straightfoward.

nealeb
03-03-2012, 08:54 AM
...and have a play with the hill-assist button as that makes a difference as well. As Ian points out, sooner or later you are going to do an emergency stop when you were looking to come gently to a halt and it's going to be the left foot groping for the clutch. With luck, you'll only do it once!

Apart from that, I don't think that driving an auto is going to give too many surprises. Not everyone likes them but there are few people who can't manage them.

Naseem
03-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi thanks for the replies.

I'll see what the transporter can show me, but doubt I'll have much time with him as I'll have my little boy with me in the morning (day off work), and I don't want to take him out in it before I've gotten used to it. I'm one of these geeks who usually sits in the car with the manual to figure out all the controls.

It'll be nice to have an A6 again, even if only for a few days.

KAM
03-03-2012, 04:44 PM
are they still much different to drive than a manual?Chalk and cheese. If you expect them to be the same you will be very disappointed.

Naseem
05-03-2012, 11:20 PM
Hi all, thanks again for the replies. I've had it during the day and have made a few trips in it, only clocked up 55mls of experience in it. The left foot threw me off twice this morning, but besides that it was fairly easy to get used to.

Strangely enough though, what I do find distracting is the multitude of buttons, knobs and dials on the centre console. I'm not sure if this is standard on the A6 now (11 plate) or whether they're optional extras. I'm used to reaching over and just changing the CD, track, radio etc without looking because I know where the buttons are, but it's annoying having to keep looking at a GUI to do the simplest of things like change stations etc. Maybe there's some kind of shortcut that I just haven't found.

Also I don't sat the satnav either, got fed up of trying to entre the full postcode and took out my Garmin instead. Again, there's probably a way around this, but only being able to entre half a postcode and have the unit try to guess what you're trying to find, even coming up with pointless suggestions.

The boot looks narrower but longer than my old A6 (04), probably something I'd notice more when trying to fit the shopping, pram, bike etc in. Sorry another niggle that I found was the headrest; I couldn't get it to pitch forward, i.e. reducing the gap between the back of my head and the headrest. I found I got neck strain, but again, I probably need to play around with the seating position more. I'll have sussed it out by the time it's due to go back if at all.

I suppose this is all academic anyway as I won't be getting another A6 for a very long time...

KAM
06-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Sorry another niggle that I found was the headrest; I couldn't get it to pitch forward, i.e. reducing the gap between the back of my head and the headrest.I was also aware that the headrest didn't tilt/pitch but that wasn't my biggest issue. However, this morning while idling in traffic I found that the whole section your head rests on slides forward. Don't try to swivel or tilt, just sit in the seat, lift your hands up past your ears, grasp the cushioned part on either side and pull forward. There's an enormous amount of adjustment available. Too much actually. The traffic set off while I had my chin pressed to my chest! I still haven't found how to set it back again. I think a little experimentation or handbook-reading this lunch-time might be in order.
My own concern is the maximum height of the headrest. I'm pretty tall (well, OK, tall, not pretty) and I'd really like some extra extension in the setting. Of course this may turn out to be like the fore-aft control and once I find the knack it will be too high.

You certainly can't accuse A6s of being dull or boring: there's always something to keep your interest alive!

KAM
07-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I still haven't found how to set it back again.Now I have. Doh! It's the same button as unlocks the height adjustment. Obvious really.