PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Brake Pad Warning Light

ddave05
01-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Evening All,

Earlier today, I turned my 04 AWX Highline on to be confronted with a 'Brake Pad Warning' lamp on the dash. As I was in a rush, I continued on my journey.

I was slightly perplexed as I wash my wheels regularly and was sure there was plenty of meat on the front pads.

Sure enough, when I got out to check them, they looked fine on both sides. I got back into the car after about 20 minutes, and no warning lamp.

Has anybody experienced this before? Does anybody know the cause of such an issue?

PCDoctor
02-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Hi ddave

Yes almost certainly you have a fault with the cable (Bracked pad sense and ABS Wire in the same cable assy)that runs from top of inner arch down the susp leg...

If you are really lucky it will be the connector just behind the inner arch needs a re fit...

Mine did that a few months ago and then stopped so waiting again for it to fail :(

caldirun
02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi ddave

Yes almost certainly you have a fault with the cable (Bracked pad sense and ABS Wire in the same cable assy)that runs from top of inner arch down the susp leg...

If you are really lucky it will be the connector just behind the inner arch needs a re fit...

Mine did that a few months ago and then stopped so waiting again for it to fail :(
Ditto that, connector is easy to get to if you pull the grommet, invest in a can of switch and contact cleaner (Maplin, RS Components, etc). The connectors are in the waterfall from the plenum chamber flood and the pins get green with copper sulphate deposits.

ddave05
03-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks a lot for the input. I have a can of 99% ISO alcohol and some free time tomorrow. Will have a go at cleaning those contacts.