PDA

View Full Version : Anyone retrofit an Audi parking sensor setup?

kerbdog
01-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Hey all,
Just bought a 'Parking Aid Control Unit' P/N 4F0919283D in a moment of madness.
Believe its a 4 sensor unit which allows for a graphic display in my 2G MMi.

Anyone retrofitted the Audi kit to a car without any parking assist installed?
If yea did or you have a retrofit manual, can you share :)

I know I need a good few cables from Kufatec (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/index.php/cat/c111_mc11_A6---4F.html).
Do the 4 sensors all need to be either rear or front? Is the control unit configureable once installed?

kerbdog
13-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Anyone know the location of the CAN bus -/+ in the boot? Should it be obvious in on the right hand side of the boot?

Y90USF
13-03-2012, 02:51 PM
The retrofit sensor kit from Audi comes with everything you need!!

Y90USF
13-03-2012, 02:51 PM
But you do not get any graphic display

a8 tech
13-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Hey all,
Just bought a 'Parking Aid Control Unit' P/N 4F0919283D in a moment of madness.
Believe its a 4 sensor unit which allows for a graphic display in my 2G MMi.

Anyone retrofitted the Audi kit to a car without any parking assist installed?
If yea did or you have a retrofit manual, can you share :)

I know I need a good few cables from Kufatec (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/index.php/cat/c111_mc11_A6---4F.html).
Do the 4 sensors all need to be either rear or front? Is the control unit configureable once installed?

For oem retro fit Tap into the can in the boot etc then live and earth feeds then add to gateway list and change code in parking control unit for graphic display depending on software version you may also need to alter address 07 as well

Sent from my iPhone using
My fat fingers

kerbdog
13-03-2012, 04:43 PM
For oem retro fit Tap into the can in the boot etc then live and earth feeds then add to gateway list and change code in parking control unit for graphic display depending on software version you may also need to alter address 07 as well
Power shouldn't be the problem, but for the OEM kit you have a CAN bus connector to hook. Any tips on the location to connect this up to would be great.

The retrofit sensor kit from Audi comes with everything you need!!
Have you installed the kit from Audi? If so, can you share the installation manual you must have received if it had everything needed?

kerbdog
19-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Bought a control unit, sensors, cable harness for both the control unit & sensors and the buzzer/speaker - I fitted them all (guess work with the CAN bus connections) but all working now :)
Just need to find out how to take the old bumper off and put the new one on. Good times!

gupsterg
19-04-2012, 05:42 PM
which bumper front or back? estate or saloon? hope this helps if not post....

kerbdog
19-04-2012, 05:53 PM
which bumper front or back? estate or saloon? hope this helps if not post....

More than helps gupsterg, many thanks yet again :D

kerbdog
24-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Little update - all fitted and done :) thanks a million folks for any help given. Just need to get the bumper I got some auto-painter TLC along with the sensors.

gupsterg
24-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Little update - all fitted and done :) thanks a million folks for any help given. Just need to get the bumper I got some auto-painter TLC along with the sensors.
Did you take pic of process? how did you splice into loom for CAN gateway link? what other bits you use other than module,sensors & bumper? just for my knowledge and maybe other people wanting to do retro fit to factory standard.

I got rear PDC factory fit been thinking of doing module change as I got 4F0 910 283/4F0 919 283 which does not accept coding to go graphical, been contemplating doing front PDCs. For that retro only gonna need sensors for front and loom and maybe bumper change, more for my wife than me. Not fan of the cameras at rear, family member got on their car and did test on a loaner car for day still kept looking to see if gonna hit anything maybe you get used it if you have it..

kerbdog
25-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Did you take pic of process?

I didn't but I might be taking out the boot trim again for another job so I will take photos then.

how did you splice into loom for CAN gateway link?

I asked in another forum (http://www.audi-forums.com/c6-forum/59833-can-connections-2.html) was I wasn't too sure about the CAN gateway link.

I ran the cabling up the right hand side of the car under the plastic trim around the footwells.
Once under the front dashboard I removed the under steering wheel trim and the fuse panel trim. Removed both the fuse block and the CAN cable block. Its the one with the purple clips.
Once I had removed both the fuse and CAN cable block, I removed the back covers on both and on the CAN cable block I removed (after a lot of hacking at it) the wiring block.
With a voltage tester, within the fuse block I found the power rail for constant power and power with ignition. I found free fuse locations beside both rails and used those, the PDC needed both a always powered and ignition powered source according to the wiring look I got from Kufatec.
I connected the ground pin to the grounding point on the body work which you can see when you remove the bottom dashboard trim under the steering wheel.
Also on the Kufatec wiring loom was the CAN bus +/- cables. The CAN bus wires said to use pins 14 H & L but they were already used so I used 15 H & L since they are on the same bus from looking at the plug that connects all the devices together.
I used fabric tape (again from Kufatec) to keep all the cables together and neat under the dash panels, attaching them to the existing wiring look.

I kept the buzzer cable in the boot, once I got the buzzer I just taped it into location on a wiring loom over the right wheel arch as I couldn't find anywhere else to put it :) Sounds fine.

Coding;
You need to recode your car to tell it that the PDC is installed. Either use a VagCom cable or head to your favorite Audi dealer.
I bought an official VagCom cable and it has paid for itself easily in the past 6 months, well worth it.

what other bits you use other than module,sensors & bumper? just for my knowledge and maybe other people wanting to do retro fit to factory standard.

Sure, might as well give a complete list. I didn't have any parking system installed when I started so I needed all of the below.

Module - 4F0919283D - allows 4 sensors & graphical support
Sensors - 4x 7H0919275E - Bought from this eBayer (http://myworld.ebay.ie/iq-trendshop/?_trksid=p4340.l2559) - iq-trendshop - hell of a lot cheaper than Audi
Bumper - bought from a UK scrap yard, needs a respray/tlc but fine
Buzzer - 8E0919279
Wiring loom from Module to car (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1056) from Kufatec.de
Wiring loom from Module to sensors/bumper (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1057) from Kufatec.de
Fabric Tape - Certoplast - Exterior - 25m (http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p850) - Nice to keep cables together once installed, purchased again from Kufatec.de

Hope that helps someone else, please forgive the bad grammer/layout :) For me, I can now park within a foot of any wall without fear of damaging the bumper. Good times!

gupsterg
27-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Cheerz for info, you've done some involved mods, auto dimming mirror must have been pretty involved as well. When I first got my car I thought I would never really use it but now I would not be without the dimming rear and side mirrors...

kerbdog
29-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Cheerz for info, you've done some involved mods, auto dimming mirror must have been pretty involved as well. When I first got my car I thought I would never really use it but now I would not be without the dimming rear and side mirrors...

...haven't wired up the dimming side mirrors yet, just put those on my eBay shopping list now :)

jocker01
15-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Hello,
I'm having a issues with installing a PDC to my a6 :(
Got a loom from Kufatec, the same as Kerbdog CAN 14 are taken so used 15 instead.
Used free fuse slots both permanent and ignition.
Added Parking aid in Can Gateway with VAG.
Connected pdc module and nothing! No response from controller when trying to access with VCDS.
Is there anywhere else which need to change with VCDS?
I didn't get any materials from Kufatec at all!
Please, can you help?
Regards
Jocker01

kerbdog
15-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Hello,
I'm having a issues with installing a PDC to my a6 :(
Got a loom from Kufatec, the same as Kerbdog CAN 14 are taken so used 15 instead.
Used free fuse slots both permanent and ignition.
Added Parking aid in Can Gateway with VAG.
Connected pdc module and nothing! No response from controller when trying to access with VCDS.
Is there anywhere else which need to change with VCDS?
I didn't get any materials from Kufatec at all!
Please, can you help?
Regards
Jocker01

I think I noticed that my PDC unit didn't respond until the warning beeper was installed on the loom - did you install that?

jocker01
15-12-2013, 10:16 PM
I think I noticed that my PDC unit didn't respond until the warning beeper was installed on the loom - did you install that?

I did, but didn't connect a sensor loom when was testing it!
Will connect all and try again! Have you still got a kufatec manual handy?
Regards
Jocker01

kerbdog
15-12-2013, 10:19 PM
I did, but didn't connect a sensor loom when was testing it!
Will connect all and try again! Have you still got a kufatec manual handy?
Regards
Jocker01

I didn't get one with my loom from them either. I think you can download whatever literature from their website though. From memory, it wasn't great. Connect the buzzer and have another look to see if VagCom picks up the module

Guest 2
15-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Module would work regardless of sensor loom being attached, it would just show the sensors being open circuit.

You need to check your wiring again.

When you say 'Got a loom from Kufatec, the same as Kerbdog CAN 14 are taken so used 15 instead.'

Did you connect can hi and can lo? Orange/green is can hi and orange/brown is can lo.

You really need Elsawin for this.

jocker01
16-12-2013, 02:43 AM
When you say 'Got a loom from Kufatec, the same as Kerbdog CAN 14 are taken so used 15 instead.'

Did you connect can hi and can lo? Orange/green is can hi and orange/brown is can lo.

You really need Elsawin for this.
What I ment is that cables are marked 14l and 14h. When I removed can bus connectors block pins, 14 l and h been already taken. Elsa did say that 14 should be used for pdc. I have no idea what else may use 14. As 14 been taken I used next available, which was 15, same as Kerbdog mentioned! Will double check if I didn't mixed high with low!
Thx.
Regards
Jocker01

jocker01
16-12-2013, 02:51 PM
J446 is a PDC module and have no idea where B397 is!
Any ideas, please?
Regards
Jocker01

Guest 2
16-12-2013, 03:17 PM
You'd be better PM'ing Crasher as he knows how to read those wiring diagrams well. I just about made out what I needed to know from another one but struggled.

Had to take it down unfortunately as it contained copyrighted info :(

Done a google and found this - http://audiforum.us/threads/elsawin-users-where-is-connection-1-b397.12090/

jocker01
17-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Thx, I did found it earlier, but this doesn't explain there to this b397 is :(
Did send an @ to Kufatec, and this is what they wrote:
"When PIN 14 is occupied, you can solder our can wires on the existing wires"
then I asked about pin 15:
"Look in the top-coat of the can plug. The Pins are bridged. When 15 is on the same Group as 14, you can use it"
So I did checked and pins are connected in two group, 1-8 and 9-23.
In theory pin 15 should work too.
I will check connections today!
I did bought a controller from a4, is this a reason why controller want work?
Regards
Jocker01

Guest 2
17-12-2013, 10:54 AM
You're gonna get nowhere using an A4 pdc module.

:confused: to say the least why you chose this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jocker01
17-12-2013, 11:07 AM
You're gonna get nowhere using an A4 pdc module.

:confused: to say the least why you chose this.

I found full set on fleebay and though that many controllers are swappable, the same will be with PDC.
Will call breakers in my area to get module from 4f0 :(
Are you sure that this module will not communicate with a6?
Regards
Jocker01

Guest 2
17-12-2013, 11:10 AM
You might find that the sensors themselves and sensor loom is incompatible.

There are specific modules and sensors for each car.

Post up the part number of the sensors and hope for the best.

For very little that you're gonna gain going down the OEM route I would instead fit these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cobra-Parkmaster-A0358-Flush-Mounted-Rear-Parking-Sensors-flash-fit-/271338445277?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3f2d0819dd

Look exactly the same as Audi OEM but are cheaper and easier to fit.

jocker01
17-12-2013, 11:30 AM
thx (http://thx), I don't want to use Cobra as would like to use mmi display too.
This is what I bought: Audi A4 Estate S Line Rear Parking Sensors 55 Reg Car | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151162396424?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649)
sensors part number is: 7h0 919 275 A
Lets hope this will work :D
Regards
Jocker01

Guest 2
17-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Module will definitely not work. Type that 7H0 number into google with a6 at the end and see if they're compatible.

Guest 2
17-12-2013, 12:01 PM
And that is I'm assuming you have MMI high?!

jocker01
17-12-2013, 12:59 PM
yes, just installed last week :D bought it from forum member who done photo story how to upgrade it from basic+ :) (got some problem though)
sensor should work according to google :D
thx

Guest 2
17-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Just get the correct module then.

Do a search here as you'll find a list of modules compatible with the car.

jocker01
17-12-2013, 01:28 PM
I have found that those modules should work with my car:
4F0 910 283 B - 4 sensors, graphical support
4F0 910 283 D - 4 sensors, graphical support
4F0 910 283 F - 4 sensors, graphical support, rear view camera support
and Audi dealer mention one with letter N as well so probably L and J too.
Called few breakers so far found 4f0 919 283 B for £50 delivered, did reserve it and looking for F or N ideally :D
Regards
Jocker01

Guest 2
17-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Hallelujah you've seen the light ;)

dan2485
21-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Thx, I did found it earlier, but this doesn't explain there to this b397 is :(
Did send an @ to Kufatec, and this is what they wrote:
"When PIN 14 is occupied, you can solder our can wires on the existing wires"
then I asked about pin 15:
"Look in the top-coat of the can plug. The Pins are bridged. When 15 is on the same Group as 14, you can use it"
So I did checked and pins are connected in two group, 1-8 and 9-23.
In theory pin 15 should work too.
I will check connections today!
I did bought a controller from a4, is this a reason why controller want work?
Regards
Jocker01

As 14H and 14L Can wires are in use this normally means that the interior loom is in place in the car.
Did you look at the wiring loom in the Right Hand rear for a taped up plug?

If you have no joy in getting the module i have a 4F0 919 283 B (4F0 910 283B) module that you can have for £30 + P&P.

Dan

jocker01
21-12-2013, 01:57 PM
thx Dan, I
already bought one, waiting for delivery.

Shame you didn't mention it sooner :(
Thank You.

dan2485
21-12-2013, 02:13 PM
I Did not mention it as you had said that you reserved it already.
Dan

jocker01
21-12-2013, 05:30 PM
true, didn't get it today though :(

dan2485
21-12-2013, 05:52 PM
The 14L and 14H goes to the j393 Convenience system central control unit in the rear right compartment Blue plug pin1 (14L) and pin 17 (14H).

If you have either of these fitted it goes to them.

Trailer unit
Reversing camera unit

jocker01
22-12-2013, 09:17 PM
In my case doesn't make sense to connect CAN in a boot as Kufatec wiring harness got connector on a front!
Regards
Jocker01

Guest 2
22-12-2013, 09:21 PM
You should have the two CAN wires twisted together, seperate these and leave them in the boot, run the power cables up to the front fuse box.

dan2485
22-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Jocker01 has fitted his wiring already, i was advising on the fact the you only require an ignition feed from the front and the earth point if you wish to do a factory refit.

Then tap into the CAN wiring in the boot.

But if you did not wish to do a rear to front loom you can do all from the rear right hand power point.

Just identify the add in loom to where the fuse location etc are.

This is for the rear only Factory Retrofit.

Whilst it's good to wire in as per the ELSAWIN schematics the practical side of reducing the amount of interference to the car is a plus side if you wish sell the car on as standard.

Dan

jocker01
23-12-2013, 09:09 AM
I'll leave can wires where they are (15) until arrival of my new module, then I'll test it if still no life, will connect them to 14.
Regards
Jocker01

jocker01
23-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Got my module today and is working!!! Now getting a fault on a 3rd sensor, open or short to ground, when swapped still the same error, got to check a loom!
BTW pin 15 on can is OK as mentioned earlier!
Regards
Jocker01

Guest 2
23-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Halleujah!

Told you you'd get nowhere using an A4 module and I assume you cleared all faults then rescanned? ;)

jocker01
23-12-2013, 09:16 PM
I did cleared all faults but did get a fault about 3rd sensor. I did swapped wrong sensors :O! I did check which one is it and swapped with another one and found that one is faulty!
Loom from a4 will need wires to be moved from left to right though :D
Regards
Jocker01

NHN
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM
The 14/15 can wire numbers just shows positioning if factory wired, you can use some common sense & check if the feed wire for the bar that feeds 14/15 is the same, if so then any slots, say for example 14, 15, 16 etc etc on the same feed bar can be used as its using the same bus, it doesnt necessarily have to be the dedicated port if its already in use, because you have to allow for the fact factory looms are joined within the looms that we never see sometimes, as long as it connects to the same bus wire feeds shown in elsa, then you can use other spare positions, if that makes sense.

crazy4alfa
15-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Did anyone take any pics ?

I am going to attempt retrofit of rear sensors. So far i have got bumper and sensors.

I need to get :

1. Sensor wiring harness

2. Parking control module (not sure which one for MMI 3G)

3. Wiring for PCD module

I notice Kufatec got this loom and believe this is item no 3 on the list:

http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/audi/a6/a6-4f/pdc-park-distance-control-central-electric-harness-audi-a6-4f

dan2485
15-02-2014, 02:16 PM
3g Parking control module is 4L0 919 283 B

Your link is the correct loom for a 3G system.

Ebay have some sensor wiring looms or you could get this PDC Park Distance Control - Rear Sensor Harness - Audi A6 4F-36245 (http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/audi/a6/a6-4f/pdc-park-distance-control-rear-sensor-harness-audi-a6-4f)

I am collecting all the parts to do this.

So far i have :

1 PDC module & Housing
2 Rear bumper which requires a repaint first
3 Rear sensor loom
4 main car wiring loom from Kuftec

i just need to get four sensors

Coding explained here Audi Portal: ECU Diagnostic . Audi A6 4F (2005- ) . Parktronic J446 (http://www.audi-portal.com/en/diagnostic/ecu_11910.html#1)

Dan

crazy4alfa
15-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks for that. Doesn't seem to be any 4L0919283B. Would 4F0 work or it's only for 2G ?

Wiring looks complicated :(

dan2485
15-02-2014, 02:37 PM
You need the 4L0 module, the wiring is not that complicated.

The Kuftec loom for the car comes with no identification on the wires so they need to be traced to the pin out on the plug as there is a chance that they could be fitted wrongly.

Most of it is obvious ie. buzzer plug and the can bus wires.

Pin out for cab wiring

Brown plug T16a

pin 1 to fuse SB3 (5 amp Fuse) Right hand dash fuse box
pin 5 to Fuse SB4 (5 amp Fuse) Right hand dash fuse box
Pin 7 to Can bus 14L (drivers side can disconnector )
Pin 14 to Can bus 15H (drivers side can disconnector )

The rest you dont need to check.

Dan

Guest 2
15-02-2014, 02:48 PM
4L0 modules not for Q7?

Have a look at vcds scans facelift owners have posted and look for module #10 or #76.

You also need to identify if the facelift uses powertrain bus or convenience bus. You need Elsa for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan2485
15-02-2014, 02:56 PM
This is a Facelift scan taken off a 2010 2.0 Le Mans

Address 76: Park Assist Labels: 4Fx-910-283.lbl
Part No SW: 4L0 910 283 B HW: 4L0 919 283 B
Component: Parkhilfe 4-Kan H02 0500
Revision: 00H02000 Serial number: 12330925400824
Coding: 0000006
Shop #: WSC 02323 785 00200
VCID: 29591CB680D4A356E3D-807C

I have to change the coding on this car to 0200006 as the graphical display is not switched on, unless this module does not support this.

There is also a PDC Module 4L0 919 283 C i am not sure if this is the 8 sensor variant or a graphical variant module.

Dan

gupsterg
15-02-2014, 05:12 PM
4L0 modules not for Q7?

4F0 was then changed to 4L0 when MMI 3G came out when viewing parts info.

The MMI 2G A6 and Q7 both had 4F0 modules in EPC, the MMI 3G A6 & Q7 have 4L0, as to backward compatibility of 4L0 module with MMI 2G :dunno:.

Perhaps useless info but out now it's out there on the VWAF! pages :)

dan2485
15-02-2014, 10:18 PM
You need the 4L0 module, the wiring is not that complicated.

The Kuftec loom for the car comes with no identification on the wires so they need to be traced to the pin out on the plug as there is a chance that they could be fitted wrongly.

Most of it is obvious ie. buzzer plug and the can bus wires.

Pin out for cab wiring

Brown plug T16a

pin 1 to fuse SB3 (5 amp Fuse) Right hand dash fuse box
pin 5 to Fuse SB4 (5 amp Fuse) Right hand dash fuse box
Pin 7 to Can bus 14L (drivers side can disconnector )
Pin 14 to Can bus 15H (drivers side can disconnector )

The rest you dont need to check.

Dan

Just added a picture to aid your install crazy4alfa.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh249/dan2485/PDCConnections_zpsf97de579.jpg (http://s258.photobucket.com/user/dan2485/media/PDCConnections_zpsf97de579.jpg.html)

Dan

crazy4alfa
15-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Thank you sir!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

crazy4alfa
17-02-2014, 12:57 AM
Would 4L0 919 283 D be ok?

dan2485
17-02-2014, 03:51 AM
Would 4L0 919 283 D be ok?

You need to ask at your local audi dealer to what it supports as i suspect it's just an updated software unit that should be ok, but i am not sure.

crazy4alfa
18-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Unfortunately 4L0 919 283 D is Q7 only.