PDA

View Full Version : Rear Washer jet and where the pipe goes

padrag_king
29-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Hello

So yet another thread on this stoopid rear washer jet issues

I.e. the one where I try to activate the rear washer jet, the wiper works but no water sprays out. Front wiper and jet is fine.

I have checked for leaks and wet patches in the car and cant find any

I drive a 2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI and its a UK one, i.e. right hand drive.

What im simply looking for from this thread is locations of the pipe that supply the water from the water tank in the engine to the rear washer jet. ie, does the pipe go up middle of car, down right hard side of car, down left hand side of car etc.

From reading other forums for my particular car, I think the pipes are as I try to show in my rather crude drawing.

***This drawing is as if your looking down on the car from directly overhead ***

Can anyone tell me if the lines I have drawn in RED is a rough guideline of the water pipe from water container in the engine to rear washer jet in boot ?

kite
29-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I would check that the motors is working first

From a phone that's smarter than me...

padrag_king
29-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for reply Kite. The motor is working.

So just to save time, Im not looking for checking this and checking that and if this and if that

Im simply looking for the path the water pipe takes from Engine to rear washer jet

kite
29-02-2012, 04:38 PM
There are 2 motors.. 1 for the front and 1 for the rear.

padrag_king
29-02-2012, 04:55 PM
ok. The motor at the front is fine and sprays the water

I can hear the motor at the rear working but it does not spray the water

kite
29-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Take the trim off the tailgate and remove the pipe and see if water comes out..

Mike Foster
29-02-2012, 05:42 PM
That route is roughly correct but I think it depends on whether or not it's a sportback. Mine is a sportback and there is a pipe joint in the upper rear offside lining next to the parcel shelf. Bugger to get at but, would you believe, this joint is directly above the convenience module in the sportback so any leak just drips down onto it !

padrag_king
29-02-2012, 05:47 PM
That route is roughly correct but I think it depends on whether or not it's a sportback. Mine is a sportback and there is a pipe joint in the upper rear offside lining next to the parcel shelf. Bugger to get at but, would you believe, this joint is directly above the convenience module in the sportback so any leak just drips down onto it !

Thanks Mike !!

its NOT a sportback, just a standard 3 door SE Hatchback

I havent spotted any leaks or water or dampness anywhere so thats why Im wondering the path of this pipe

Mike Foster
29-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Think I read somewhere that a guy with a 3 door had a leak problem and it knackered his Bose amplifier which was in the same place as my convenience module. In that case presumably that bit of the pipe run is the same anyway !

Good luck !

p.s. I would go steady at pressing the rear washer just in case it is coming out somewhere !!!!!

padrag_king
29-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks Mike !!

This is my third VAG, but first Audi, and all three have had this feckin issue !! pain in the hole

Goatbasket
01-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Not meaning to insult your intelligence but have you poked a pin into the jets to make sure they are clear? I find they get a kind of crusty growth around them and block up easily on my A3 particularly if I use too rich a mixture of washer fluid.

padrag_king
01-03-2012, 10:53 AM
^^^yeah, have done that BUT just while attached to the car

However, got it fixed last night . Removed cover off back wiper, and took the jet spray part off.
Then turned on the rear washer jet and low and behold a spray of water sprayed out a few feet
So obviously no issue with hoses, leaks along the way to the boot etc. Was just the jet spray part that was blocked

So then brought the rear washer jet spray part, like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Audi-A3-2005-2010-Rear-Washer-Jet-/150509641771?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230b12e02b) in to the house, soaked it on boiling water ( wasnt sure if this was a good thing to do or not ) and then poaked it with a pin, blew into to it and repeated this procedure 3 or 4 times. Then re attached the part to the wiper and the jet spray now comes out. It dosent come out totally even, so I may look at buying the above part on ebay, just to have it right.

BUT the poking of the jet spray part with a pin while attached to car was not enough, had to do above to get it working.

on my old cars the pipe had come dis connected in boot, but not this time

Out of interest afterwards, I removed the cover from the boot to have a look

The build of the pipes connected in the boot seems to be alot more sturdy in the Audi then in my past Volkswagens.See picture

However, overall, still a bad design the way this keeps on happening with these cars

rosso rocket
02-03-2012, 06:42 PM
This was also a known problem with rear wiper motors fitted to VAG groupcars, where the washer fluid pipe running up the centre of the motor spindle, cracked, resulting in washer fluid then leaking down the side of the motor and into the boot cavity! Result? Loads of water in the spare tyre well!
The only fix was to purchase a replacement rear wash/wipe motor, at a cost of £65-70 at the time - or try your luck on-line or at a scrappy!
I replaced my Mk4 Golf ones twice in 6-years!

ptm32
06-04-2012, 06:57 PM
hi all new to the forum

could someone please tell me where the wash wipe tube runs in the rear as i am suffering from a lot of water in the spare wheel well and wet patches on the rear trim

henners38
16-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I've got the same issue on my A3 & I've never got round to fixing it.

I had an old shape A3 with the same issue and it turned out to be the pipe connections had split in 2 different places. 1 in the engine compartment behind the battery casing and 1 on the boot by the spare wheel caddy.