PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 TDI SE Manual Vs Multitronic

PS01
26-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi,

I'm currently considering ordering a new 2.0 TDI SE.

One of the key decisions that I'm wrestling with is whether to go with multitronic or manual - haven't managed to get a test drive yet in a multitronic. I've previously had BMW 530d autos and found those to be very smooth.

Does anyone out there have a 2.0 TDI with multitronic, if so, what do you think of it? How does it compare with torque converter/DSG based autos?

I'd appreciate all advice and opinions.

Thanks and regards,
Phil.

kite
26-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Not trying to scare you but have a search on here using "multitronic"

From a phone that's smarter than me...

PS01
26-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Not trying to scare you but have a search on here using "multitronic"

I did a quick search but didn't find anything specific to the C7 with a 2.0 TDI - really looking for an opinion on this combination.

Thanks and regards,
Phil.

kite
26-02-2012, 10:00 PM
No nothing regarding A6's but "multicronic" is regarded as an Audi weakness and very expensive to repair.. But if you buy new and get rid when the warranty expires then no problem...

shabazmo
27-02-2012, 12:34 AM
I have the A7 with multitronic and I am very happy with it. I also had a 2002 A6 2.5tdi with multitronic and 166K miles before I sold it. My current multitronic is far better than the old one, so take a test drive. Not sure how good it would be with a 2.0ltr engine.

KAM
27-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I have an A6 C7 2.0 TDi with multitronic and in the short time I've had it I've been delighted with it. I don't believe I'm such a phenomenally skilled driver that my gear changes will be quicker and more appropriate than the vehicle itself. To be honest, the only reason I'd ever choose manual in any car would be to save money - I don't see manual gear changing as a benefit per se. In the overall propulsion system I view driver-selected gears as an old-fashioned hangover from the days when there was no alternative. Automatic boxes may not be 'perfect' for some people, but the multitronic is probably better than 80% of the drivers out there. I've driven automatic gearboxes in form or another for probably the past 20 years, and I'd say this is easily the best in terms of what I want from it. It is completely effortless, exceptionally smooth and responsive enough for all my needs.

Timothy Nathan
27-02-2012, 10:53 AM
The one big advantage of a manual is control, particularly pulling onto a roundabout.

Having said that, the Multitronic is the best automatic I have driven and I have no complaints. You just forget that there is a gearbox, or a need for one. I'd never go back.

On a small point, you need Multitronic for Stop Go ACC, a justification in itself, AFAIAC.

ti rich
27-02-2012, 09:02 PM
What's a stop go ACC?

PS01
27-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Many thanks to everyone for your replies, I'll have to arrange that test drive.

Regards,
Phil.

Timothy Nathan
28-02-2012, 12:26 AM
What's a stop go ACC?
Adaptive Cruise Control, which is like cruise control, except that if the car in front is going slower than you it slows you down, and if it stops and then goes again, you do the same automatically. You need an automatic gearbox to have it as an option.

zis76
28-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Go for the multi, you won't regret it! My last car was a 530i auto which I thought was ultra smooth, but always realised it was there. The C7 auto is even smoother and you don't even realise its working away beside you.

nealeb
01-03-2012, 11:05 PM
My C7 is my first automatic of any kind. Had various auto hire cars in the past but never really lived with one before. I actually have the 3.0TDI with DSG, but I'm interested in comments on that versus multitronic and manual.

One general comment about auto against manual - however good the auto, it doesn't actually know what you are thinking. Getting ready for an overtake, I don't want to wait for the gearbox to catch up when I want to go. Neither do I want unexpected changes while winding round country lanes. Manual gearbox sorts both these (although esp. in the second case needs proper observation to get gear choice right!) but in practice the paddles or manual override on the auto manage these situations very well.

The one area where I really haven't been able to come to terms with the auto (DSG, remember - not sure if multitronic would be any different) is in low-speed control. Two situations really frustrate me. One is coming to a complete stop smoothly. With a manual, I would reckon to do this with no hint of a jolt (most of the time, anyway!). I simply cannot stop as smoothly with the auto - as I ease back on the brake as I come to a halt, I either don't ease back enough in an attempt to stop creep and the car stops with a slight jolt, or I ease back too much and the car doesn't want to stop, so need more brake and again, slight jolt to a stop. Is this inevitable, or is it poor technique? Second issue is when I reverse on to my drive. There is a slight step up the kerb and if I don't carry quite enough momentum the car will stop at the kerb. It then needs a fair bit of revs to get it going again, before a quick stop to avoid running into the car behind. With a manual, even my relatively elderly 1.8 Focus diesel, I can do this with idle revs and pure clutch control with no fuss or bother.

I pride myself on being a really smooth driver - imperceptible gear changes at all times is my aim - but these picky little points really bug me. So, out of curiosity, is the multitronic any better? And if you're used to a manual, these are things that you might want to consider and certainly try out before going auto.

Or you may not! Your driving aims might be different to mine and having accepted a long time ago that I am really not that interested in going quickly, I have to find some area of driving skill to concentrate on:Blush2:

shabazmo
01-03-2012, 11:13 PM
I have the multi and have no such problems. I have also driven the DSG and I can't help thinking that there must be something wrong with your car. Try and get hold of another car and wee if your experience is the same.

pitch3110
01-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I have lived with multi for two and a half years and lov it.

Not sure on the A6, but my s line B8 A4 has flappy paddles and 8 forward ratios to play with which is great fun.

Would I have another. ..... Certainly would. Big car feel equals auto

Ta
Pitch

nealeb
02-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I have the multi and have no such problems. I have also driven the DSG and I can't help thinking that there must be something wrong with your car. Try and get hold of another car and wee if your experience is the same.

I pick up my replacement car on Tuesday. Be interesting to see if it's any different, but I am being a bit picky here. When I watch most drivers come to a halt, they do it with a jolt that would have me hang my head in shame but they seem to regard it as perfectly natural insofar as they do it at every red light along the road. Maybe I need another 40 years driving to get used to not having a clutch!