PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Polo reverse lights not working

AndyK21
25-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi,
Its probably been done to death here somewhere bit I've checked the bulbs, checked the fuse and replaced the switch on the transmission but still no reverse lights. :1zhelp: :Blush:

AndyK21
05-04-2012, 01:34 AM
Well thanks for the overwhelming advice people. :D Anyway it looks like a wire has broken on the reverse switch plug as I gave it a pull the other day and the lights flicked on and off so at least I know what it is now.

Flash2
07-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Sorry that you didn't get any help with that one, Andy. It's quite a common fault too. You can get a length of wire from the VW dealer with a pin on each end that fits into the connector. Give the parts guys the part number of the connector (usually a number starting 1J0 --- ---) and ask for a repair wire. There is a purple locking device on the connector that needs to be removed to allow the damaged pins to be removed. Get the damaged pins out, put the new ones in and refit the locking device. Then simply cut the loop of wire in half and join the ends to the original wires on the vehicle loom. It doesn't really matter which way round they go but I think the black/blue should go to pin 2 (marked on the back of the connector).

Regards.

Jim.

AndyK21
08-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi Flash2,
Many many thanks for the reply, I'll get onto the local dealer asap. I was just going to solder the pins (if it was possible) but your suggestion is far better.

AndyK21
13-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Well thanks to Flash 2's suggestion I contacted the VW dealer, got the repair wire and two connectors. Time taken was the best part of an hour and total cost was just over £10. Result! I now have working reverse lights. :D

Ttru
25-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I know this thread is old but if possible i need help...

I also have a VW Polo 2003 Reg, and my reverse lights don't work - i've changed the bulbs and still nothing. I think its the reverse light switch plug.

Can someone please tell me where the reverse light switch plug is? I've looked under the bonnet for the plug but i just cant find it. Can someone please upload a picture or video to where the plug is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AndyK21
25-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Hi,

I also have a VW Polo 2003 Reg, and my reverse lights don't work - i've changed the bulbs and still nothing. I think its the reverse light switch plug.

Can someone please tell me where the reverse light switch plug is? I've looked under the bonnet for the plug but i just cant find it. Can someone please upload a picture or video to where the plug is.

Hi, my Polo was an 03 1.4 petrol and the reverse light switch is on top of the transmission housing. I replaced the switch but also had to replace the cable as the original one had corroded. You can get a replacement cable set from VW too. Hope this helps!
PS I would go and look under the bonnet but I sold the car last year and drive a Honda instead. Sorry VW but ya know.... :D

Flash2
26-05-2014, 12:37 AM
Hi,

Hey there, The reverse light switch is usually low down on the front of the gearbox. The connector should be easy to spot. It'll be the one with the broken wire :)

Cheers.

Jim.

Ttru
26-05-2014, 08:02 PM
AndyK21 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?182117-AndyK21), Flash2 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?11770-Flash2) (Jim),

Cheers guys for the info - do i need to get under the car to get to the reverse light switch or is it accessible from above? Do i need to remove the engine cover to get to the switch as-well?

Haven't had a chance to have another look for the switch (really heavy rain all day), but if anyone can take a picture of this switch would be awesome please... i am really s**t when it comes to identifying things in the engine bay!!!

Cheers
TTru

Flash2
27-05-2014, 12:14 AM
You'd need to get at the switch from below, and yes, you will need to remove the bottom engine cover.
As I said, the switch is on the front of the gearbox. It has a two pin connector and one of the wires will be a black with blue stripe.
Sorry, don't have a photo.

Regards.

Jim.

Ttru
27-05-2014, 07:02 PM
You'd need to get at the switch from below, and yes, you will need to remove the bottom engine cover.
As I said, the switch is on the front of the gearbox. It has a two pin connector and one of the wires will be a black with blue stripe.
Sorry, don't have a photo.

Regards.

Jim.

Cheers Jim - i'll get the car on some ramps at the weekend and have a look - I'll post some pics when i get under the car.

Ttru
07-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Finally got the car on a ramp and found the broken reverse light switch (please see photos).

Now my next problem:

How do I fix the broken wire?? Ordering a new switch is not going to fix the broken wire – the switch is fine. Do I have to somehow open the plastic case/connector to get to the broken wires and connect new wires?? Or do I have to order the plastic case/connector (part number 1J0973702 - 4th photo) which connects onto the reverse light switch from VW dealer?

Thanks in advance for any info...

micheal balbrig
07-06-2014, 08:48 PM
I remember reading a post giving information that the same type connector is fitted to brake shoes,so if you can find an old set you could cut
the connector off for your switch

Flash2
08-06-2014, 01:46 AM
There are a few options on how to repair the wiring.
1) Go to a breakers yard and cut the connector from another car.
2) Order a repair wire from your VW dealer. Give them the connector part No and ask for a repair wire to suit.
3) Take the pin out of the connector and solder a new length of wire to it, then reinsert it into the connector.

1 will probably be the easiest of the three. To do 2 or 3, you will need to remove the terminals from the connector which can be a bit tricky without the right tool. Here is a link to a video showing how to do it with the tool : removing terminals on the VW wiring harness - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rlXZUvhEsQ) (Your connector is at 2:20) You can use a couple of thick sewing needles to release the terminals. It's just a lot easier with the tool.

Jim.

Ttru
08-06-2014, 12:55 PM
Cheers guys...

Had a feeling i might have to try one of the 3 options (breakers yard, order part from VW or use tool to release the terminal).

Again thank you all for the help and i'll post what i did...Ttru

Ttru
29-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Ordered a new plug switch connector, re-wired it to the existing wiring, plugged it into the reverse light switch and NOTHING...!!!! The reverse lights still don’t work. Have a feeling it’s the actual Reverse Light Switch that needs replacing too - going to order it and take it from there.

Unless any of you guys know something I don’t!!!

micheal balbrig
29-06-2014, 10:30 PM
You are probably correct. If there is a rubber cap over the connector,make sure to replace it or water may enter new switch causing early failure.
This seemed to happen with my A3.

Flash2
01-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Before you replace the switch, try shorting both terminals on the connector with a short length of wire. Turn the ignition on and see if the reverse lights work.
If they now work, then it is the switch thats faulty. If not, check you have power supply to one of the pins on the connector (with the ignition on).
The black/blue wire is the one that goes to the reverse lamps, so the other wire will be the power supply.

Jim.

Ttru
06-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Right...ordered a new Reverse Light Switch, connected everything up and now the reverse lights are ON all the time when the ignition is on...!!!! I'm having no luck with something i thought might be simple to fix. Don't really know what to do now apart from taking it to my local garage, unless you guys know something...

micheal balbrig
06-07-2014, 05:49 PM
Pull the connector off and see if the lights go out.

Ttru
06-07-2014, 09:22 PM
If i pull out the connector and the lights do go out, what will that mean?!!

micheal balbrig
06-07-2014, 10:22 PM
It will mean that the switch is allowing power full time to circuit.when it should only be when reverse gear is selected.
It is more likely that the problem is at the repaired connector. If it is then the lights will remain on when the connector is removed.

Ttru
08-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Cheers mate - i'll pull the connector off the switch and see what happens...

Dutchouk
14-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Reviving this thread sorry ;-) got a 03 polo no reverse lights, put wires together and they work but I've tried two new switches now and they won't work :-( any known issues internally in the gearbox ? Cheers

niall campbell
14-03-2017, 02:30 PM
have you tried realigning the rods as per youtube ?

Can you screw in the switch or anything that goes into the gearbox a bit further ? In old cars you used to screw the switch in, though if you screwed them too far in; you couldn't engage reverse gear

Dutchouk
14-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Hi cheers for the reply it will be the weekend before I get back to it but I'll try the switch out the box and manually trigger it cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk