PDA

View Full Version : Question When do you change glow plugs in a 2.0TDI ?

nowa
24-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Hi all happy (and unhappy) 2.0TDI drivers,

I'm just wondering if I should change my glow plugs on my 143BHP 2.0TDI ?

It's done 63000miles and I think I saw something in the service manual about changing the plugs after 60k ?

I haven't had any problem with the engine, or any warning lights on the display, and I suppose the old saying 'if it aint broke...' applies but I'm just wondering if perhaps fuel consumption is noticably improved by changing the plugs ?

This is my first diesel car ever, and it's on one of these Audi Longlife Service schemes, but I do an oil service myself every 10k as I think 20k on the same oil is just not right and the car isn't due a service for another 10k, so I thought that if it's worth doing, I'll change the plugs myself ?

STEWY L
24-02-2012, 05:23 PM
if it starts ok when cold, then leave them well alone.
they only assist cold starting-that's all they do, and have no effect on fuel consumption at all.
they can snap when removing them, and that's a head off job to remove them then.
not sure what the manufacturer recomends,as i've not seen it written anywhere,
but i would leave them well alone,
regards,
stewy.

John140
25-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Glow plugs are not spark plugs !!
What Stewy L says is right, if it starts without hassle, leave alone.

JimC64
25-02-2012, 03:06 PM
I've driven diesels for 20 years +, usually got them from new and put around 160k miles on them in 3 years as part of my job at the time....sales manager.

In all those years I struggle to remember ever having to fit glow plugs to my cars when being serviced. IIRC there was one, the Peugeot 309 GLD i think but that was at easily 100k miles + and she had trouble cold starting.......she did 196k miles in 3 years with very few issues :-)

PS - I'm not totally tech oriented but just give the above from my own experience. Whenever the car was in for service I always asked what was being done, wanted to know and also checked the receipts to see what was carried out.

Hope it helps...

nowa
27-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Many thanks for the above replies and thanks for educating me. So I think I will leave it alone and if Audi will want to change them I will question why, cold starts are absolutely fine, even when it was freezing C here.

Thanks again