PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T Sport B6 to 2.0TFSI S-Line B7

A4Ade
24-02-2012, 02:20 PM
What differences will I notice?

You might think I ought to have driven the new one to find out... Unfortunately I am currently abroad and not going to get to drive it for a month. I sold the old B6 18 months ago due to spending a lot of time working abroad but I've decided to rejoin the A4 club when I'm back next month. I put my Dad on the case of finding me one before I get back and he's outdone himself and found one already! Now I feel like a kid at Christmas who knows his present's already been bought but he's being made to wait!

So, I'll just be loitering on here in the meantime reading up on all the fun :)

A4Ade
31-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Finally picked up the car :-)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8970502/SLine/Photo1.jpg

And in answer to my own question.... not a lot of difference! That's not exactly a terrible thing since I loved the drive of the old car but I did think I might notice the extra 40 horses...

ntp
01-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Nice car, you will notice the extra oomph if .... you go for a proper well respected remap. :-)

a4_audi_ence
03-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Nice looking car....and it seems that I have made almost exactly the same move as yourself from an A4 B6 1.8T Sport (W 2001 Plate), which I loved, to an A4 B7 2.0T TFSI S-Line (07 Plate), which I really want to love but which I'm having trouble with at the moment.

I'd be really interested to know if you're having any or all of the same experiences as me.

To be honest, I am finding this a very uncomfortable car to drive for three reasons:

1. It has a very sticky or notchy accelerator - difficult to set and maintain a particular power setting because it it so sensitive.
2. It has a very irritating brake linkage - slack for the first inch of travel and then overly aggressive when the braking is actually applied.
3. I find the suspension incredibly hard - even for a "sports" version of the A4 - a real bone-shaker over bumpy ground.

These three things are conspiring to make this a very disappointing experience so far. I have written about the accelerator issue on another thread in the B7 forum if you're interested.

How does your car stack up against mine - ever experienced any of these symptoms? And what size are your wheels and tires - mine are 18" alloys with 235/40ZR18 Tyres.

Thanks very much, Jon

A4Ade
04-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Nice car, you will notice the extra oomph if .... you go for a proper well respected remap. :-)

So, after driving the car some more I am really starting to enjoy it. I think that at the right revs I am noticing the extra poke, but to be honest whether it's quicker or not than the B6 isn't a concern. I am still entertaining the idea of a remap - more to smooth out the delivery than up the overall power - but I'm in no rush. I'm going to enjoy it as it is for now and save the remap for if I get bored. Still, an suggestions of where "proper respected" remaps can be found in the east midlands area would be appreciated for future reference :)

I'd be really interested to know if you're having any or all of the same experiences as me.
1. It has a very sticky or notchy accelerator - difficult to set and maintain a particular power setting because it it so sensitive.

Not quite sure what you mean by this. As mentioned above I do notice the power doesn't always come smoothly, but I think that's not an uncommon trait of turbos. I always find it difficult to set a particular speed, which is why I retrofitted cruise in the B6 and might do so again with the B7.

2. It has a very irritating brake linkage - slack for the first inch of travel and then overly aggressive when the braking is actually applied.

Maybe I've noticed this, but I'm sure you just have to get used to the brakes in any new car?

3. I find the suspension incredibly hard - even for a "sports" version of the A4 - a real bone-shaker over bumpy ground.

I've certainly read that others have found this, but I must admit I don't really notice it that much.

These three things are conspiring to make this a very disappointing experience so far. I have written about the accelerator issue on another thread in the B7 forum if you're interested.

How does your car stack up against mine - ever experienced any of these symptoms? And what size are your wheels and tires - mine are 18" alloys with 235/40ZR18 Tyres.

My wheels / tyres are the same. I'm sorry to hear these things are so strongly affecting your enjoyment of the car. I'm honestly enjoying it and not finding these issues a problem. Of course, perhaps there is a difference between the cars and yours is suffering more severely? How many miles has yours covered? Mines on 53k. My B6 was on the same when I bought it and I'm finding them generally similar, although it is 2 years since I sold the B6 so maybe I don't remember so well... I hope you get things sorted and can start to enjoy!

ntp
04-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Just one thing to clarify here, remap isn't all about adding more hp. It also makes the drive a lot smoother. Places where I have been driving on 3rd gear now are more happy with the forth. The change betweeen the gears it is almost unnoticable. My fuel consumption has improved wen I don't push the pedal that is.

I went APR there is plenty of deals for remap here in thiis forum.

a4_audi_ence
04-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Great feedback thanks, A4Ade....appreciate it!

When I hear your experiences it really makes me wonder if I'm being overly fussy. But on balance....no! I have been lucky enough to drive a lot of cars over the course of time, and I'm sure there is something not quite right about this one. Will proceed with the accelerator investigation today with my indie garage and advise the outcome for anyone interested or in the same boat.....