PDA

View Full Version : Question A3 Bluetooth & GSM Operation

rc4279
23-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi,

I have just bought a 2008 Audi A3 S line but haven't a clue and can't seem to find much information on how the bluetooth feature works and what the GSM unit does?

My GSM unit is situated in the centre arm rest but can I assume that without a cradle for a phone this is pretty useless? Without the cradle I did think I would at least be able to obtain a bluetooth connection with my HTC & Blackberry but after scanning for devices it doesn't show anything!

I also have the multi function steering wheel with the ability to answer an incoming call, but without the options listed above, again I assume this is useless?

Finally, the AUX point, is this just so you can connect an MP3 player/phone so you can play music through the stereo, or does it have any other use?

Would appreciate any advice on this. Getting frustrated not being ale to find any helpful info. Love my new car but just want to know what I can and can't do with all the gizmo's!

Mike Foster
23-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Are you sure the car has Bluetooth installed ? It isn't a standard fitment and just because you have a fitting in the armrest doesn't mean you have Bluetooth !

rc4279
23-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I'm assuming I don't have bluetooth. I originally thought that the GSM phone prep. was bluetooth enabled, but obviously not. It just seems a pretty useless feature unless you have an iphone and the cradle.

What options are there to get a bluetooth device that will work with the multi function steering wheel? Are some GSM units bluetooth enabled and if so is this a feature that can be added?

Thanks

Mike Foster
23-02-2012, 09:50 PM
The Audi bluetooth unit can be retro-fitted and will allow you to use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel.

There are aftermarket units available such as Dension but I'm no expert on those.

Do a search and you will find loads of threads on the subject.

NHN
24-02-2012, 01:34 AM
TBH, you should have BT if you have armrest cradle, usually come hand in hand, if you cant find it with a search when you 1st turn on ignition, then try another handset just incase, but yes as Mike states if its not installed, it can be retrofitted, ping me a PM if interested.

Aux in is just a line in to the radio for your mp3 or phone to play music through tbh, nothing special.

MFGF
24-02-2012, 12:02 PM
It might be worth having a look at the sticker in the spare wheel well (and/or the inside cover of the handbook) to make a note of the option codes fitted to the car. You can then decipher them here:

http://igorweb.org/equidec/default.aspx (http://igorweb.org/equidec/default.aspx)

It will be interesting to see if Bluetooth is listed.

MF.