PDA

View Full Version : Wow - Love the A7!!

mitchelljoe
17-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Have recently taken delivery of a new A7 Quattro S-Line 245 3.0Tdi

Absolutely love this car - best car I have ever owned.

Hope the fuel economy improves though - long way of the 47.9mpg claimed by Audi

Eshrules
17-02-2012, 04:19 PM
You'll struggle - should always knock around 10mpg off any quoted economy figure for an idea of real life returns.

You'll probably see around 40mpg on a mixed cycle

Audi_Mike
17-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Welcome to the A7 club. I still love my driving my one and have had it nearly 2 months so far.

I have also found that the fuel comsumption is nowhere near what is in the book. I am getting 33-35mpg on short journeys around town and about 40mpg on a long run. I did try selecting the "Economy" mode for the last tank of fuel and this did improve the mpg a bit, but annoyingly turned off things like the cornering lights. I need to play around with the "Individual" mode so that I can get better fuel consumption around town, but not lose features that I like, and then have an easy switch to better performance on country roads.

I also find that this car takes a lot longer to warm up than other cars I have had. Especially on cold mornings, I find that I have to drive about 3 miles before the temperature gauge gets anywhere near normal. Just a larger, heavier engine block to heat up, I guess.

Regards,
Mike

Timothy Nathan
19-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Audi_Mike,

I recommend this (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?129096-Car-not-getting-hot) as a good read on the subject of temperature gauges. Admittedly on the mere A6, but I am sure that the system is the same.

Crasher
19-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Taking a long time to warm up is just because it is a modern TDI, if you were to compare the gauge reading to that of a readout form the cars computer you would see that it is complete fiction, the gauge reads 90 when in reality the engine is at 72! They calibrated it like this to stop people worrying about it, in future I can see factory fitted supplementary heaters like those fitted to the Q7, Touran, Sharan and a few others, becoming very popular, as they are on the continent.

kennyh
20-02-2012, 11:02 PM
On the subject of MPG.....

I've had my ex-demo A7 for a couple of weeks, and now with around 3k on the clock.

I'm getting around 45mpg on a 50mile commute when driven calmly, or around 35mpg when driven more aggresively. I think thats not bad! And I'm expecting that to get a little better (perhaps) on longer cruises.

My previous car was an XF 2.7D and it would only get around 42mpg on a very good day.

Audi_Mike
21-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I have just had a look at the link in Timothy Nathan's post (click on the word "this" in his post). This takes you to another part of the forum where there is an extremely interesting article explaining how a modern TDI engine warms up. Very informative.

Regards,
Mike

Timothy Nathan
21-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Happy to help!