PDA

View Full Version : Good phones with SIM access profile

rpmay
17-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi,

I have a 2011 Audi A6, with the high phone preparation.

This uses SIM access profile, rather than a handsfree profile.

I currently have an HTC HD2 (with a slightly dodgy ROM) which works fine, but from time to time the phone and the car will detach and I then have to reboot the phone and reconnect the MMI which is not really acceptable when driving.

I planned to get an iPhone next, but this doesn't support SIM access profile at all.

Does anyone have any real world experience of SmartPhones that work well with the Audi, using SIM Access Profile.

Thanks,

Richard

ianfarnham
18-02-2012, 12:23 AM
My Blackberry Bold 9780 works faultlessly using SIM access profile with the high phone preparation - depends if you classify this as a smart phone though :-). Wireless internet access within the vehicle, Google Earth, online navigation searches, addresses, etc, etc.

rpmay
18-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Thank you for your suggestion, however I require a phone which supports Exchange integration, which means IOS, Android or Windows. I know that you can do a form of Exchange integration by means of BES, but this is a rather unpleasant way of acheiving this. (And I speak as a server administrator for a number of companies!)

Thanks anyway,

Richard

Timothy Nathan
18-02-2012, 01:17 AM
I think that if I wasn't wedded to the iPad, and therefore all the wonderful integration with the iPhone, I would get a Samsung Galaxy. But beware, not all models have rSAP, so make sure that the one you look at does.

gedderrick
08-03-2012, 06:06 PM
If you google 'SIM Access Profile - Wikipedia' this will give you a list of rsap compatible phones, this may help.

ti rich
08-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Blackberry Bold 9900 works with no issues.

gregpawley
13-03-2012, 01:48 AM
My Nokia E7 works without fault with my 3G+, also has Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Lync embedded if that's what you need?

mikeramsden
15-03-2012, 11:24 PM
ti rich

Are you definitely using the 9900 in rSap mode? Just bought an A7 and my Bold 990 will not work. It connects but then just sticks at initialising phone - even more frustrated now seeing it seems to be working for someone else!!

ti rich
16-03-2012, 01:37 AM
ti rich

Are you definitely using the 9900 in rSap mode? Just bought an A7 and my Bold 990 will not work. It connects but then just sticks at initialising phone - even more frustrated now seeing it seems to be working for someone else!!

Having read the definition of rsap I am not quite sure!! All my contacts come across fine and appear on the display. Not sure how rsap differs from that?

Timothy Nathan
16-03-2012, 02:20 AM
Can you use online services, such as Google Maps and WiFi with the phone connected by Bluetooth?

Yes - rSAP is working,
No - rSAP is not working.

Simples.

ti rich
16-03-2012, 02:28 AM
I only have the basic sat nav so don't have google maps or wifi sorry!

Timothy Nathan
16-03-2012, 02:29 AM
...then you needn't care about rSAP.

mikeramsden
16-03-2012, 01:45 PM
When in rSAP mode the car takes over your SIM and leaves you phone unusable. You can't read e-mails any more (not that we ever would whilst in the car !!) or so anything else with your phone. There is some message on the screen of the BB and you can press OK to disconnect - if you are not seeing this then you are connecting in handsfree mode as opposed to car phone mode - carphone (rSAP) mode is only available if you have the Audi Telephone High preparation as opposed to the Low preparation.

Timothy Nathan
16-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Mike,

We have been round this loop before. You can read eMails:

Set up the car WiFi, based on the rSAP connection.
Connect the phone to the car WiFi
eMails, and all other data services are now available on the phone.

mikeramsden
16-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks Tim but you can't on the BlackBerry - it disables completely when in rSap mode. Not to worry I was merely pointing this out to see if ti Rich had managed to get his 9900 to work in High mode which was my original question. As I said who would ever try to read e-mails when in the car ;)

Timothy Nathan
16-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Note that I have put in a how to guide to get the iPhone working on rSAP here (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?130718-Instructions-for-Getting-iPhone-Working-with-High-Telephone-and-data-Services&p=705797#post705797).

Nuts32
26-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi, Did you manage to get your 9900 to work in rSAP? I too have a 9900 with car phone high prep, handsfree bluetooth no problem, car phone bluetooth initial connection no problem, the problem arises at initilising phone, at this point the 9900 tells me it is run ning in SAP mode, so thats good but then the car tells me after about a min or two of initilising phone that either my phone or sim card may not be functioning?? :confused: So I remove sim card and put it into sim card reader in dash, no problem all inernet functions working fine, put it back into phone and no joy same again, tried a different handset but still a 9900 and no use. I have a feeling its something to do with the security settings but cannot find which one. SPP set to false meaning ok to use as is SAP?? :confused:

Please could you let me know if you managed to sort yours?

Thanks

Timothy Nathan
26-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Nuts,

I think that if you read the thread through, ti rich almost certainly isn't using rSAP on his 9900, but ordinary vanilla handsfree Bluetooth (which is no challenge of course.)

I have just bought an old Nokia for £7.50 on eBay because of of this whole nonsense.

Nuts32
26-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks Timothy, My problem is that the Blackberry is linked in with BES and I use it for everything so need to be able to jump in the car and within a few seconds can be up and running through rSAP, as i can of course remove the sim card from the phone and insert that but its a bit of a pain, bring back the analogue days of 2 sim cards same number!!

Thanks anyway.

Timothy Nathan
26-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the pain felt by so many Audi owners. It is becoming part of the balance between buying a top-end Audi or a BMW (where all this stuff just works.)

It is absolutely the worst thing about Audi ownership and the frustrating part is that Audi really don't seem to care.

What seems odd is that many Audi employees must have iPhones and Blackberries, and must have exactly the same frustrations we do, yet the situation is allowed to go on.

They don't have the problem in Germany because their telcos provide dual SIMs.

They have sorted it out in the US by allowing the car SIM to run at the same time as your phone being connected by handsfree Bluetooth, so the software exists, but for some reason their policy continues to be that the British purchaser must suffer one of a number of inconveniences:

Don't use data services, Traffic and Google Maps
Don't use iPhone or Blackberry
Swap the SIM every time you get in and out of the car, with the added bonus, if you have an iPhone 4, of using a carrier which can only be extracted with a small screwdriver.
Have a second SIM in the car, forward calls to it (and pay the charges), and have outgoing calls originating from a different number and account when they come from the car, and a different phonebook.
(as I plan to do) use a different phone on car days and non-car days, again with a different phonebook.

That lack of care for UK purchasers must reflect in the sales of quality cars, particularly if we ensure that potential purchasers read about it here and elsewhere.

Nuts32
26-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Timothy, thats a great reply which I am now going to copy and paste (excluding names) into an email to my Audi dealer, I have just changed from an A5 3.0 TDI S-Line to a Q7 (same spec) but with phone prep high. The interesting thing will be, now you mention it the Sales Manager there has exactly the same phone as mine, I wonder if his works?? I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

mikeramsden
26-03-2012, 10:52 PM
I got a call from the sales guy at Preston Audi today getting a bit of clarification on the 9900 problem and saying he would do some digging around on software updates. I'm not holding my breath that he'll get a solution but over the years its the first time I've had an Audi dealership even attempt to be helpful after the sale so you never know. Will keep you posted!!

Nuts32
27-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks Mike, I have it booked in at Audi on Thursday as they dont believe me!! I have also got RIM looking at it too I am sure one will blame the other but we shall see and I will report back with the results!!

nealeb
01-04-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure how much additional light it shines on the topic, but in the interests of science and adding another data point to the subject, my friend Aurora7 and I spent a lunchtime last week playing games with phones and SIM cards. She has an "11" plate A7, an iPhone with Vodafone SIM, and a data-only SIM card (3 network) which normally lives in the A7 dash. I have a "12" plate A6 and a new Galaxy S2 with Vodafone SIM. Both cars have Bluetooth High phone prep.

In summary, it repeats all the iPhone problems with the exception that it uses RSAP rather than hands-free.

Pair Galaxy with car: RSAP initiates, media sharing is enabled, and the phone book is downloaded to the car. All as expected. Data services available via the phone SIM although this was a bit painful as Vodafone 3G reception seemed to be non-existent in that corner of the car park and 2G was slow. Wifi connection available in car (iPhone could be persuaded to connect OK, for example). We made a test voice call and this was recorded in the car phone memory.

Now put 3 data-only SIM in dashboard slot. Data network connects (3's 3G signal was available so Google Earth, for example, updated reasonably quickly). Car drops RSAP connection to phone, although media sharing connection seemed to stay live. On one test, the phone seemed to lose Bluetooth altogether but this was not repeated when we tried again and might well have been finger trouble on my part as I'm still getting used to handling a touch-screen device after years of keypad-only phones. Not surprisingly, the car phone memory did not have any "last calls" recorded but it was a data-only SIM.

As other people have reported doing this kind of testing with an iPhone, once a SIM has been put in the dash it's a pain to get everything to reset and go back to using the Bluetooth connection. It's a "stop the car and start again" operation. It was curious but there was this feeling that the RSAP connection was being dropped almost for the sake of it and for no very obvious reason - we could see the message coming up on the Galaxy screen as the car dropped the connection. This is exactly the bit that seems to be different in US models, of course, where it's "just" a matter of keeping the RSAP connection up for voice call use. However, once paired with the Galaxy again and RSAP working, the "last calls" memory in the car phone was again available and contained the earlier voice call info.

At least, if it ever does get fixed, there's a good chance that it's just a firmware thing and can be retrofitted with a firmware update.

In passing, I have to mention that I have had problems with the Galaxy failing to connect to the car, but I suspect that this is a phone setting issue, for example turning off Bluetooth for power-saving reasons and not re-enabling it. I'm still figuring out how the phone works...

Timothy Nathan
01-04-2012, 10:46 PM
I am not 100% sure I follow you.

Are you saying that with the data-only SIM in the dash, the Galaxy still has a hands-free Bluetooth connection? If that were so, it would be wondrous and contrary to everything which has been said.

nealeb
02-04-2012, 07:43 AM
I don't think that that was a combination that we tried. I had configured my Galaxy as "car phone" rather than hands-free so that it used RSAP. We did not try the hands-free connection - in retrospect we should have done but I have not played with the car's phone settings apart from the minimum needed to get it to work and it's only thinking about it in the light of what I learnt that day that I realise that there was another potential combination.

The thing that I found interesting was that when the data-only SIM was put in the dash, the car did not drop the whole Bluetooth pairing with the Galaxy, just the RSAP connection. The car could still see the phone as a media source via Bluetooth.

mikeramsden
04-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks Mike, I have it booked in at Audi on Thursday as they dont believe me!! I have also got RIM looking at it too I am sure one will blame the other but we shall see and I will report back with the results!!

Nuts32 - quick update - as I run the mobile base for my business I managed to lay my hands on a 9790. Smaller Bold, still touch screen and importantly still BB OS7. I didn't expect it to work but it did. Now looking for a lucky recipient for my old 9900. Probably not a lot of help but underlines its not an inherent OS7 issue but something on the 9900 hardware!!

gbjk
05-04-2012, 09:42 AM
I've now tested for a week on: iphone 4 + rsap, SIM in dashboard, and samsung galaxy s2 + rsap.

iphone 4 with rsap is usable, but about 10% of the time I find it never completes the network search.
Also sometimes disconnects, but not often.
Also connection is relatively slow to establish from startup.

samsung galaxy s2 with rsap connects much faster. Also sometimes disconnects though, at end of calls, etc.
Testing yesterday showed it to be bulletproof, though, so maybe it was just a bad day the first time.

nealeb
19-04-2012, 09:17 AM
samsung galaxy s2 with rsap connects much faster. Also sometimes disconnects though, at end of calls, etc.
Testing yesterday showed it to be bulletproof, though, so maybe it was just a bad day the first time.

My Galaxy is far from bullet-proof in this context, though. It's probably 50-50 when you get in the car whether or not the car will find it (or it makes itself available - it's not clear which). If you stop for a few minutes, get out of the car, then back in, it's quite likely to have lost the connection and does not re-establish it automatically. Couple of aggravating features are that because it takes a little while to find the phone even when it is working, you have probably started driving before you find out that you have no phone, and to get it to re-establish means going to the Galaxy and stopping/restarting Bluetooth. This seems to kick it off again, but not easy to do (and certainly illegal) on the move. Not sure about it disconnecting on the move as I haven't used it that much - it's normally just there for an odd incoming call.

gbjk
19-04-2012, 09:37 AM
nealeb: Good to hear.

I've been hacking on writing a new iphone app to detect the car's wifi, and enable/disable call forwarding.
Then I'll just put a sim in the car.

nealeb
21-04-2012, 07:00 AM
I'm still trying to work out whether my Galaxy problems can be fixed by making sure that the phone is not in stand-by mode when I get into the car/turn on the ignition, but at least I know how to kick it into life - if only the Bluetooth on/off "button" was not about 15 levels down in the menus! It can then take maybe 10mins to download the address book every time it connects - and I don't have that many friends:)

ianfarnham
21-04-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm also beginning to think my Blackberry connection using rSAP is not as good as I thought. The other day I was away from my car and it still said it was "connected" and clearly it couldn't have been so the hand off on getting out of the car hadn't worked. The only solution after trying a number of things was to delete the Bluetooth connection profile in both the car and on the phone AND reboot the phone (battery out) - this has happened more than once now. Although all the pointers are to the phone I'm beginning to think its something to do with the Audi set=up.

The learning point for me is when stopping is press Stop to shut off engine, make sure the screen folds away (ie ignition is fully off), check the phone has disconnected bluetooth RSAp BEFORE getting out of car. Would this help others with different phones suffering instabilities?

Answering Nealeb's point about time to transfer contacts - this seems to take similar time for me (at least 5 mins) and I've got quite a large address book (no friends either just business contacts :approve:)

onemanparty
21-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I would check this out Audi Channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqn4b6dGj_A & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyZHby06dj4&feature=relmfu

Timothy Nathan
24-04-2012, 12:10 AM
omp,

You seem very keen to push those videos, but they are an order of magnitude less sophisticated than the discussions taking place on this forum. In those videos the presenter just says "you will see Car phone and Handsfree profiles, make sure that you choose Car phone!"[/Cheesy grin]

Well, that statement is not true at all for the most popular phones, and in some of the phones where it is true, such as the Samsung Galaxy, the result would seem to be so flaky as to be unusable.

Audi have spent years utterly failing to give out any credible methodology for using data services with a modern phone; quoting the patronising and unhelpful regurgitating on video of the user manual does not help. Audi need to fix this, if they are going to stem the haemorrhaging of negativity they are getting from those of us who spent a good deal of money on what should be a quality product.

onemanparty
24-04-2012, 07:22 AM
omp,

You seem very keen to push those videos, but they are an order of magnitude less sophisticated than the discussions taking place on this forum. In those videos the presenter just says "you

Timothy I was trying to help people That is all thanks for you support I know you have an issue but don't take it out on me.

Timothy Nathan
24-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to "take it out on you", and if it came out that way it is unintentional.

It is difficult to determine who to "take it out on."

Certainly the target cannot be Apple. Initially, Audi tried peddling the idea that it was Apple's recalcitrance in not providing rSAP which is to blame, but the truth which has emerged is that really rSAP is the preserve of Nokia, and no-one else really does it properly. Blackberry is mostly OK, but has some problems, Samsung tries and fails, and HTC and Apple don't even try. Audi have simply backed the wrong horse and lost.

The solution is simple - allow us to use a data SIM at the same time as the handsfree Bluetooth - a software patch which they have already written for the US market but which is not released in the UK.

My guess is that Audi UK are as keen to get this sorted as anyone, as they are suffering reputational loss as well as a fair amount of hassle. Certainly the dealers want the issue to just go away.

I imagine that the real problem is that the issue is somewhere in the middle of a long list of stuff that Ingolstadt know they need to get sorted, but keeps getting pushed down a list on the basis of the number of people affected and the severity of the impact (not being able to use online services in the car doesn't really rank with the guy who was reporting on here that his car hurtled uncontrollably on a random basis.)

But the trouble with that argument is that the very people that they are p1ssing off are the ones who will be thinking about buying the most expensive cars soonest. Certainly the amount of time and effort I have put into this would make me very reticent to think about an A8 next time (I only really need the Avant while the kids are at uni and the dog survives, a situation which cannot last more than a year or so).

So those of us with posh cars with expensive gizmos just need to keep reminding Audi that we are not the best people for them to be irritating.

DR_A6
21-05-2012, 09:36 PM
sorry to dredge up an old thread but i am collecting my new avant in a few weeks with the MMI touch pack so need to clear a few things up...

1) if i want a phone to connect AND use the web it needs to be a nokia with rsap, (heard this costs a bit so possibly not that fussed)

2) if I just want to use my current phone (blackberry) i can and still download phone books etc but will have to put in another sim card to access good maps or the traffic update?

3) ipods work fine BUT if I want album covers on i need an upgrade to my old ipod classic or work out how to download itunes onto an SD card an I need the red cable.

think thats it for now.

Timothy Nathan
21-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Point 2 is, unfortunately, where it falls down. If you put in a data SIM, you cannot use your phone.

It's rubbish.

DR_A6
21-05-2012, 10:35 PM
hmmm, so it just cuts off your phone? does this still happen with a nokia then? i have an old one kicking around though not sure how to get my address book on it and reconcile it with work... hmmm indeed!

has anybody had an joy with cust services about a fix?

Timothy Nathan
21-05-2012, 11:42 PM
With a Nokia it works seamlessly. If you can bear to use a Nokia, you are fine.

Audi UK know all about this, and don't even bother to respond to queries.

rpmay
22-05-2012, 08:38 AM
If you are looking at Nokia phones, you will have to avoid the latest Windows Mobile based units (such as the lovely Lumia 800) as these don't have rSAP. Nokia tell me that this is a Microsoft descision.

In the end I got a Samsung Nexus, which I then had to "root" before installing the rSAP application. This has resulted in a 100% stable car connection, which my previous phone (HTC HD2) never acheived.

Richard

Timothy Nathan
22-05-2012, 09:22 AM
So, even Nokia are dropping rSAP. Poor Audi.

ianfarnham
22-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Just goes to show how flaky this all is with not a lot of confidence after buying a phone that it will work. I was going to add that my Blackberry has been performing pretty well - as long as I dont get out of the car with ignition not shut down properly (Ignition must be off and accessories off with MMI screen shut away) otherwise the handover back to phone locks up. Once I'd sorted this it has been very reliable.

skibuddy
22-05-2012, 09:50 PM
My Samsung Galaxy S works flawlessly in rSAP mode. Can't wait to borrow a new S3 when they are finally available and see if that works just as well so that I can upgrade.

jbanfie
23-05-2012, 09:07 AM
You may find that the S3, with Ice Cream Sandwich OS, does not work, they appear to have dropped native rSAP support, but I'm keen to hear your results

UVB
29-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Just thought I'd chip in to this in case anyone is watching the thread. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S3 that can work with RSAP courtesy of an app you can get off the Play store. You first need to root your phone (this takes a couple of minutes - take a look on XDA-Developers to get all you need) then install the andriod-Rsap pre-installation software. Once done, you can then install the free trial version of the RSAP app to make sure it works before buying the full version. Easy way to tell if it has gone into RSAP mode is to look watch your signal strength on the phone. If it goes to the symbol that looks like the national speed limit sign, it is in RSAP mode. Apparently this will also allow Galaxy S2 users who have upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich to re-enable RSAP.

My previous RSAP phone (Nokia N85) would randomly drop the connection for no apparent reason, then usually reacquire it a minute or two later. The Galaxy S3 has been totally 100% (this is on an A6 C6 with the Audi RSAP adaptor).

jbanfie
29-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Well, it would appear that the news gets better,

Quote from the android-rsap forum on July 13

"Looks like the next Galaxy S III update (XXBLFB) will contain Samsung rSAP, too."

I have no idea what a XXBLFB update is, but if it brings native rSAP support to the Galaxy S3, my iPhone is becoming redundant pretty soon, anyone want one, 2 years old slightly troubled screen with yellow where the glue is failing, battery life getting worse - £600.

Cheers

Jon

jbanfie
29-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Digging further, there are lots of very happy VW/Audi owners getting success with rSAP and the galaxy S3 with the latest software update applied - lots of praise for Samsung going on, bet you the Audi Dealers are the last to know!!!!!!!

Quotes

"Hi All, I can confirm that the Galaxy S3 is now indeed supporting rSAP more or less out-of-the-box (I had to run an update) when the build IMM76D.I9300XXBLFB is installed. It works perfect with my 2010 Volkswagen Golf 6 integrated carkit and RCD 310 radio. It synchronized my contacts perfectly which in turn are synchronized with GMail in my case."

"Hello all,

yesterday I got a update for my S3 to IMM76D.I9300XXBLG8 and now it works perfectly via rSAP with my 2008 VW Tiguan. Also the phonebook can be transferred. Great"

All of this has basically occured in the last 2 weeks!!!!

craigyb
08-08-2012, 05:19 PM
I can concur the Galaxy SIII now has rSAP again with the latest firmware. I have been a long term rSAP user in Audis with A8/S8/A6/Q7 and now A7 (I even have an A2 with san rSAP adaptor) from the N73 - N95 - Galaxy S1, SII and now SIII.

When it does work it's fantastic, call quality etc is perfect and reception is much better using the roof antenna.

Currently have an issue with my Galaxy SIII, my 2011 model A7 has been upgraded to 2012 maps and also the latest firmware release, but although I can connect in rSAP mode, my online services no longer work. Just keeps telling me a data connection is required. I've even taken the SIM out of my SIII and inserted with a SIM adaptor into the A7 and still no data. What is strange though is that my laptop has a data SIM and that works perfectly when inserted into the cars SIM slot.

Vodaphone are telling me it's the car that cannot read the micro SIM, I tried another A7 with high and that was the same, no online services in 3G, but when the car detects 2G I get the data arrows, when it switches to 3G they dissappear, same on my car and another A7. I also got my old full size SIM reactivated and still no online services in 3G mode.

I went back to my old galaxy SII with the old SIM and no data in 3G.

So I'm totally baffled, after 6 years of using rSAP, installing and fixing rSAP issues for Audi owners I'm now stumped. I don't have an old Nokia kicking about to test, who buys Nokias now anyway? I have a mate with a BB, maybe I can ask him to test when I next see him.

kite
08-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Good to see you over here Craig.
We have met at tyresmoke meets in the past.

follow me on twitter...kiteaudi...

jbanfie
08-08-2012, 05:26 PM
So craigyb, what you're telling me is that despite changing my iPhone to an S3, I should be prepared for dissapointment when I collect the car at the end of the month - F**king B*****ks

Let's hope it's a vodaphone SIM problem, as I'm on O2!

craigyb
08-08-2012, 05:45 PM
All I can say is the S1 and SII both worked in rSAP mode and online services, now I have not driven the A7 for a while as I use the A2 for work, but whilst it was sitting around I had the upgrade to 2012 maps done, since then I have had problems with the SII and then the S3. I asked for the update to the latest firmware to see if they cold fix the issues, but I seem to back to square one. Maybe I need to find someone with a 60 plate A7 or an 11 plate like mine that has the original software in.

What's confusing me is the Vodafone SIM that I have for data only for my laptop works great when inserted into the A7's dash.

What I may do is insert that into the SII and see what happens over rSAP.

One common factor is that both phones are now running CheckROM HD custom rooted ROMs. I could always put the SII back to the last good factory build of gingerbread 2.3.6 to see if that works ok. There is very little on the S3 that I actually need root for as well so if that fixes it I may go stock for the S3 as well.

jbanfie
08-08-2012, 05:48 PM
It's a dark dark world in Android space, it would be reassuring to read a post saying "it's all fine"!!!!!

craigyb
08-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Yep, thought it was you, good to see you again

Good to see you over here Craig.
We have met at tyresmoke meets in the past.

follow me on twitter...kiteaudi...

a8 tech
08-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Oi were is my optical loop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (a8 fixed phone to prep conversion I passed over to you 4 month ago)

Alreet Craig :biglaugh:

craigyb
08-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Hi Mate, I'm confused by your post

craigyb
08-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Back to the rSAP issue

I put the working Vodaphone data SIM into the dash of the A7, works a treat. Data ok, I then put the same SIM into the SII and connected via rSAP and again online services / data worked ok. Which sort of suggets the A7 is fine with the SII over bluetooth, but when I put the S3 micro SIM with adaptor into the SII, it didn't work for data or online services even though it was connected rSAP. Which again makes me think Vodaphone have done something with my account but they assure me they have not.

What I cannot do is put the large SIM from my laptop into the S3 to test bluetooth rSAP connectivity for online services, but I'm confident it would work.

So I'm stuck with 3 SIMs that do not work in my S3 or SII and vodaphone telling me the car is the problem.

a8 tech
08-08-2012, 07:27 PM
I sent a customer to you 4 month ago with a D3 A8 to convert to bluetooth and left a optical bridge in place to keep the mmi running after his phone control unit crashed.

Told him to ask you to remove the loop when you convert to bluetooth and for him to send it me back as it was my own loop

Never mind he forgot

craigyb
08-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Ah he must have as I only have one loop and that's mine. Sorry about that.

UVB
08-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I even have an A2 with san rSAP adaptor

Mind if I jump in and ask what this is? I've been trying to find a way to get RSAP in our A3 that we bought used recently but don't appear to be able to retrofit the phone prep low kit to use the Audi adaptor.

MFGF
08-08-2012, 07:35 PM
My Voda microsim works fine in the dash (in a sim carrier), apart from the regular crashes of Google maps. Sounds like Vodafone have messed with the provisioning of your account to me.

When I'm back from the USA, I will be in the office in Sale a couple of days. If you want to try your sim in my car, or mine in yours, give me a shout and we can arrange to meet.

Cheers!

MF.

Snet form my fumblefingers
iPhon 5 usig Tapatalk

craigyb
08-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Pretty much what i have been telling them, but they insist it's an Audi issue with the microsim and reader, but how can that be the case over bluetooth.

craigyb
08-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I wired up a cradle plate to the original audi phone kit and attached a roof antenna to my car. Then I purchased an Audi rSAP from ebay for 70 euros which plugged straight into the cradle plate. It's a simple job that takes a lot of time to complete due to the wiring required and stripping down of the car to attach all the bits in the correct places. But if you have the cradle plate already all you need is the rSAP adaptor. Retail price is £300 from Audi, but there are plenty of them on ebay.de

Mind if I jump in and ask what this is? I've been trying to find a way to get RSAP in our A3 that we bought used recently but don't appear to be able to retrofit the phone prep low kit to use the Audi adaptor.

MFGF
08-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Pretty much what i have been telling them, but they insist it's an Audi issue with the microsim and reader, but how can that be the case over bluetooth.

It can't! I have an old Nokia that connects flawlessly via rSAP with the same sim. It's your Voda sim settings causing the problem I think.

iPhon 5 usig Tapatalk

gregpawley
08-08-2012, 10:31 PM
All I can say is the S1 and SII both worked in rSAP mode and online services, now I have not driven the A7 for a while as I use the A2 for work, but whilst it was sitting around I had the upgrade to 2012 maps done, since then I have had problems with the SII and then the S3. I asked for the update to the latest firmware to see if they cold fix the issues, but I seem to back to square one. Maybe I need to find someone with a 60 plate A7 or an 11 plate like mine that has the original software in.

What's confusing me is the Vodafone SIM that I have for data only for my laptop works great when inserted into the A7's dash.

What I may do is insert that into the SII and see what happens over rSAP.

One common factor is that both phones are now running CheckROM HD custom rooted ROMs. I could always put the SII back to the last good factory build of gingerbread 2.3.6 to see if that works ok. There is very little on the S3 that I actually need root for as well so if that fixes it I may go stock for the S3 as well.

Hi I have a 61 plate A6, my Galaxy S3 (Stock ROM latest I9300XXBLG8 firmware) on Vodafone works fine via rSAP with data available, the only thing i had to do is manually enter the APN settings via the MMI to APN wap.vodafone.co.uk Username wap Password wap

My freind has an A7 11 plate he also has no problems with his S3 (O2 network), you say that your car was in to have the latest firmware upgraded on your car, my car will be going in soon for a service I want to get my MMI upgraded as I have the roadworks on wrong side of the road, keeps loosing home/favourite destinations.

I have recently been in contact with Audi enquiring about online traffic information, the manual says how to enable it but speaking to Audi was told my car build week missed this by couple weeks, very annoying, do you or anyone know if the latest firmware will add this feature, or do they add they latest version of the "old" firmware. Audi did confirm that it is a software feature but is against policy to have newer software running that previously installed?

craigyb
09-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Strange you had to do this "MMI to APN wap.vodafone.co.uk Username wap Password wap" as it works with "APN Internet Username web Password web" when using my other voda SIM.

Just tested that and no success.

As for the updates, I have the phone directory fix, album art fix and Audi connect for the Info, so I guess it does include it in the update.

gregpawley
09-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Well hoping they update my software too and add the missing features.

The only other I can suggest is make sure that the micro sim is not and iPhone type, my friend swapped his from his iPhone into the S3 and dash with no success, tried a new micro sim and worked fine, the S3 would connect by no data and no contacts transfer, might be worth a punt?

craigyb
09-08-2012, 10:45 AM
I have had two micro SIMs so far, the latest is supposed to be a generic SIM.

jbanfie
09-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Right,

You guys have have got me worried, so I phoned O2 and spoke with the lovely Leslie, check this out:

Apparantly both the Apple iPhone and Blackberry have different network settings at the network end, so O2 in my case to every other phone. Therefore you cannot pull a micro SIM out of an iPhone and expect the DATA to work in a Galaxy S3.

The conclusion Leslie and I reached is that the Audi 'phone' in the car would be the same as all the others in the world, that is, different to iPhone and Blackberry. And therefore you cannot pull a SIM out of an iPhone or Blackberry and put it in an Audi, and expect the data to work.

Interestingly when I swapped from iPhone to S3, the minute the guy pressed his buttons on the computer, my iPhone Data Connection went dead - no data at all. Later in the day when I transferred the SIM to the Galaxy S3, my data connection was alive and well immediately. This implies at least that my network settings were changed at the O2 end upon completing the transaction in the shop, and bears fruit to Leslie's thinking.

Their is no such thing as an iPhone SIM, just network settings, which implies that anyone who pulls a SIM out of an iPhone and puts it into an Audi will get no joy without phoning the network to get the settings changed, then phoning the network again when they get out of the car and put the SIM back into the phone!!!!!

I think this set of rules may explain the behavours listed above, but it would be good if someone who actually has a car on the drive could test it all out.

Cheers

Jon

craigyb
09-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Well I'm beginning to suspect the car now, the problem first started after my upgrade to 2012 maps, got it back from Audi and the online services were intermittent, I did contact them about it, but more trouble shooting was required and I thought ok it's my phone the SII which had been working fine up until that point. I don't use the A7 very often so when I switched to the S3 and it had no rSAP initially I wasn't that bothered, now rSAP is available and I'm driving the A7 more often I want it to work.

I have just tried 2 brand new PAYG sims, an O2 and a vodafone SIM and both fail to give me online services.

Just been to Audi and sat in a brand new S7 (It had online traffic information so maybe that is different to the Audi connect) and tried my S3 with my vodafone contract SIM, no online services. I tried the 2x PAYG SIMs in the slot and again no connection, I tried my SII with the O2 SIM over bluetooth and no connection.

So it seems that in the early days I had no issues with rSAP and since I've had MMI and NAV updates done it's not working at all now either over bluetooth or directly with a SIM, but it works with my data only SIM from my laptop. Go figure.

Anyone else having updates done, please let me know how you get on.

Timothy Nathan
09-08-2012, 06:18 PM
This is interesting.

My T-Mobile SIM, which is data-only and bought for a MiFi, works beautifully in the car.

My Vodafone iPhone SIM is rubbish.

I had assumed that this was because of a difference between Voda and T-M, but now I wonder if it is a difference between iPhone and data SIMs.

craigyb
09-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Which probably explains why my data only Vodafone SIM works perfectly and the 3 other voice+data SIM's don't work at all.

jbanfie
09-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Strictly speaking it's not the SIM itself, but the network setting used by the phone company to interact with the phone. Your SIM from the iPhone could work, but only if you called Vodaphone and got the network settings changed - it would then be useless (for data) in the iPhone, until you called Vodaphone again and got the network settings re-iphoned!!!!!!

All of this is good, because I now feel that I actually understand what to expect to work and what not to.

Notwithstanding Craig's experience, my SIM should work in both the car slot and RSAP'd to my Galaxy S3, my wife's iphone won't work no matter where the SIM is!

jbanfie
09-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Which probably explains why my data only Vodafone SIM works perfectly and the 3 other voice+data SIM's don't work at all.

If your three Data SIMs are 'linked' to an iPhone phone number then I would expect them to fail - yes

craigyb
09-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Never owned an Iphone in my life

Two are brand new 3G voice/web SIMs and the other is my existing pre working Galaxy SII SIM from before I had my A7 updated to 2012 maps and new MMI software.

If your three Data SIMs are 'linked' to an iPhone phone number then I would expect them to fail - yes

I suspect Audi have broken a working system by upgrading the way it works to a new specification possibly to appease the Iphone/dual SIM brigade.

jbanfie
09-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Well, I've no answer for that then, save to check your new SIMs are data enabled with correct network settings and then it's back to Audi.

I'm pleased you have one SIM that does work, however.

I'm back to fingers crossed mode rather than relative confidence, hmmm, before I give them the final 90% of the purchase price I might just insist on seeing it working.

craigyb
09-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Yes each SIM is network enabled, I tested them on my SII which is SIM unlocked and received the update messages from each operator to enable the settings.

When I insert the SIM's into the car I can check the data connection settings and they change to match the operator of the installed SIM.

craigyb
09-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I'd like to try my phone and SIM's with your car and vice-versa before you get your updates done if possible.

My Voda microsim works fine in the dash (in a sim carrier), apart from the regular crashes of Google maps. Sounds like Vodafone have messed with the provisioning of your account to me.

When I'm back from the USA, I will be in the office in Sale a couple of days. If you want to try your sim in my car, or mine in yours, give me a shout and we can arrange to meet.

Cheers!

MF.

iPhon 5 usig Tapatalk

MFGF
10-08-2012, 04:05 AM
Hold on! This isn't what I see. The Vodafone microsim from my iPhone works fine when inserted into a sim carrier and plugged into the dash. Google maps crashes periodically, but no more often than when using the data-only Vodafone sim (full size) from my 3G USB modem. Both sims give me data services, and both sims cause Google maps to crash - but I have been told this is an issue with sims on the Vodafone network.

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MFGF
10-08-2012, 04:11 AM
I'd like to try my phone and SIM's with your car and vice-versa before you get your updates done if possible.

My car was built March 2012 and displays cover art and supports bluetooth address book profile already. When I called in at the dealer before my holiday, the helpful chap on service reception took my registration number, did some clicking on his computer, and told me there were no outstanding software updates for my car. It is going in to the dealers on 3rd September to be assessed by a master tech. I will drop you a line when I'm back in the UK, and we can arrange to meet before then if possible.

Cheers!

MF.

craigyb
11-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Right then, some progress...

02 SIM PAYG working - APN Setting payandgo.02.co.uk Username payandgo Password password

Vodafone PAYG working - APN Setting pp.vodafone.co.uk Username wap Password wap

Vodafone Business Contract SIM from colleagues Iphone working APN Setting wap.vodafone.co.uk Username wap Password wap

My own contract Vodafone SIM not working - APN Setting wap.vodafone.co.uk Username wap Password wap

So my guess is my SIM/contract is broken somehow and I need to get reprovisioned.

craigyb
11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Been chatting with vodafone and they gave me new APN settings of APN: internet Username: web password: web

Tried them and still the same problem. They are saying it's the car, but how can it be? internet/web/web were what my car was originally configured for when I took delivery of it and everything worked fine then.

craigyb
15-08-2012, 09:49 PM
I tested my phone over bluetooth with an early model A7, same year as my
own and the online services worked and internet access was available
over 3G.

So it seems it's not a Vodafone issue, but what I cannot understand is how 3 SIM work in my car and my own SIM doesn't.

I have spoken to Audi and they are going to replace the MMI head unit which as the phone system built in.

MFGF
15-08-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm still in the USA. Bad timing, I'm afraid, or you could have tried your sim in my A6 too. Are you taking your A7 to Jon?

Good luck!

MF.

craigyb
06-09-2012, 09:49 PM
This is getting weird now, I think it's geographic and tied to my SIM/phone number.

I drove to London in my A2, during this journey I had a 30 minute argument with Vodafone about this issue, basically they were not interested.

I tried a customers 11 plate A7 with my phone and it works over bluetooth for online services - So London - no problems
I tried a 12 plate A7 at manchester Audi with my SIM and my phone over bluetooth, didn't work - so Manchester, not my car, doesn't work.
I tried a 61 plate S7 at manchester Audi with my SIM and my phone over bluetooth, didn't work - so Manchester, not my car, doesn't work.

I drove my A7 to Holmes Chapel and during the journey (around the M6 at Knutsford) my online services kicked in and worked for the rest of the journey until I travelled back and around the Knutsford junction again it stopped. - so cheshire - no problems

I went to Blackpool and the fylde coast and it didn't work at all during this journey. - So Lancashire in general it doesn't work.

Just drove to Yorkshire and sure enough I reached the lancashire/yorkshire border just past Shaw and the online services kicked in. - So Yorkshire - no problems

Any ideas?

MAVAV
07-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Pair Galaxy with car: RSAP initiates, media sharing is enabled, and the phone book is downloaded to the car. All as expected. Data services available via the phone SIM although this was a bit painful as Vodafone 3G reception seemed to be non-existent in that corner of the car park and 2G was slow. Wifi connection available in car (iPhone could be persuaded to connect OK, for example). We made a test voice call and this was recorded in the car phone memory.

Slightly OT I know, but thanks for this nealeb, I hadn't realised that rSAP was available again on the Samsung SII (and SIII) with the latest firmware. Works a treat now with the car without having to take out the SIM every time and put it in the dash.

craigyb
07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Has been available in the Galaxy range since the Galaxy S release right upto Gingerbread. Was removed from ICS for a while but put pack about two firmware releases ago.

Let's just hope it is kept in Jellybean.

BrianWM
11-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Galaxy S2 question : in order to use rSAP with one of these, is the £7.49 Bluetooth SIM Access Profile app needed or is it just out of the box ? I've just got an S2 with ICS and I haven't quite reached the car with it yet.

MAVAV
11-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Galaxy S2 question : in order to use rSAP with one of these, is the £7.49 Bluetooth SIM Access Profile app needed or is it just out of the box ? I've just got an S2 with ICS and I haven't quite reached the car with it yet.

It works straight out of the box, no additional software is required.

jbanfie
12-09-2012, 12:20 PM
If it doesn't work out of the box, then it will need the new update to Android installing, which you need to install Samsung Kies on your PC for

BrianWM
12-09-2012, 04:24 PM
So, I tried to pair my Galaxy S2 which has Android 4.0.3 which is the latest according to Samsung kies. In the car, I only get offered the handsfree profile not the car phone. Just in case it makes a difference, I do have the tech advanced package which I think gives me all the phone's bells & whistles if I can make it work ! Any ideas anyone ?

BrianWM
12-09-2012, 08:05 PM
I can shed a bit more light on this having spent a while fiddling about with phone & car :

My new Samsung S2 came with ICS 4.0.3 and neither the kies program or the phone's inbuilt check revealed any updates; even though it appeared there was a 4.0.4 out there. So (reluctantly on a phone I'd only got yesterday) I downloaded a newer version (4.0.4 XWLPX) and the tools to flash it (Odin). It always feels a bit risky somehow but in this case it didn't even upset the widgets & apps on the various home screens I'd spent hours last night entering. And, it now links as a car phone ! How reliable it is remains to be seen but at least it's now working.

Result !

Olio
04-09-2013, 07:14 AM
Maybe an old thread but very topical for me...

I have a galaxy S2 with JB firmware, and a new A6 with mobile high.

When I pair the two (from the car), I find the phone, then select the car phone option (not hands free), which should fully use rsap and give me data / google earth. Then, at best, the car searches indefinitely for a network :/

The hands free function works perfectly, with access to call logs, etc.

Any idea how I can fix this? I'd really like to use the data / wlan in the car...

Timothy Nathan
04-09-2013, 10:37 AM
What is the exact version number of your Android (forget the foodstuff)?

Olio
04-09-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm on 4.1.2, standard Samsung ROM, rooted.

Could it be a SIM issue or the fact that, as the car is new, it's extremely likely to have the latest software? Reading earlier posts it seems to create problems...

Timothy Nathan
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
On 4.1x, not rooted, mine "just works." Sorry. Happy to have a play if you are ever in t'smoke.

Olio
04-09-2013, 11:05 AM
Do you have the latest s/w for your MMI?
What network are you on? I use Tesco (uses O2) but woudn't expect them to restrict data use that way...

BrianWM
04-09-2013, 11:20 AM
I have the S2 on 4.1.2 (not rooted), Vodafone network and it mostly works too. My A6 is 12 months old now, if yours is a new car you should have the revised hardware so it probably has a raft of new issues yet to be uncovered !

Olio
04-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Grumble grumble...

I'll try with a S3 and a 3 sim card when my colleague is back, as I'm surrounded by iphones!

Otherwise has anybody used a data sim from ovivo or samba mobile in the car's sim slot?

Timothy Nathan
04-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Actually, that is a good diagnostic point. What happens if you take the SIM out of the S2 and put it in the dash?

Olio
04-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Fair point, have not tried yet... Will do asap.

Chris_www
04-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Just for info, I currently use a 99p Orange SIM from eBay with 12 months free 250Mb Internet in the dash slot, and it works perfectly. I just pop the SIM out when I want to make a call over Bluetooth with my iPhone.

I also have an old Nokia E52 with RSAP for in-car WiFi with a 3 SIM or EU data with a Joe Mobile French SIM. This gives us all full WiFi Internet all the way from home in the UK to the Alps, and outdoor WiFi using the JoikuSpot app, and the MMI traffic and Google stuff works perfectly too.

Olio
04-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Well, I tried a few more things earlier...

I put my sim in the dash, and data was not working. But, suddenly the data settings entry in the menu could be selected, so I did and had a lookie... As I said my sim is from Tesco, who use the O2 network, and the default APN was o2.co.uk
I changed in into prepay.tesco-mobile.com, login wap, password password...
I then tried Audi connect and after 2 attempts, it loaded all the networked info.

So my sim works fully in the dash provided I can edit the APN. But when I put it back in my S2, it works perfectly as handsfree, but not as carphone. As a car phone, if I connect and quickly go to network settings, then instead of auto selection I check what networks are available, I find all the big ones (o2, three, voda, etc), but no MVNO, and after a few moments, my S2 takes back the connection (i.e. the signal strength bars reappear instead of the no parking sign), probably having waited for the Audi connect to acknowledge something that never happened (just my guess).

So if I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's the Audi configuration that's causing trouble. I also tried my sim in a Nokia 5800 and got the same results as with my S2 (data does not work) except that the 5800 never gets the signal back.

I'll check with a 3 sim and phone next week and will go back to Audi with the findings.

Chris, do you know if these 99p sims with 1 year data are still around?

Chris_www
05-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Chris, do you know if these 99p sims with 1 year data are still around?

I bought mine around December last year after I saw the offer on HotUKdeals. I thought at the time there was no way it was genuine, 250Mb a month for 12 months including a free £5 topup, and all for 99p! I don't know if Orange will repeat the offer again - keep checking HotUKdeals.

fysmd
05-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Galaxy S4 works a treat. Model in me. Sig
Only annoying thing is that while the car has the sim, you can't send SMS from phone and any received in the car are not on the phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

retired99
06-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Galaxy S4 works a treat. Model in me. Sig
Only annoying thing is that while the car has the sim, you can't send SMS from phone and any received in the car are not on the phone.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

The absence of call records / texts on the phone while using 'car phone' mode is the reason I've put a SIM in the car and use my phone in 'hands free' mode (MY14).

Olio
06-09-2013, 01:44 PM
The questions to ask regarding this issue are:

1) is your handset fully rsap compliant? Do you have a non-original firmware?
2) what is your version of Audi software? (and what MY?)
3) What network do you use, and how does it work when you put the sim in the dash?
4) can you connect as hands free?

Saying that the S2/3/4 work fine is sadly insufficient to help solve other owners' problems.

fysmd
09-09-2013, 02:35 PM
The absence of call records / texts on the phone while using 'car phone' mode is the reason I've put a SIM in the car and use my phone in 'hands free' mode (MY14).

I can't do that, if I have a SIM inserted, handsfree option is disabled in BT menus..

fysmd
09-09-2013, 02:47 PM
The questions to ask regarding this issue are:

1) is your handset fully rsap compliant? Do you have a non-original firmware?
2) what is your version of Audi software? (and what MY?)
3) What network do you use, and how does it work when you put the sim in the dash?
4) can you connect as hands free?

Saying that the S2/3/4 work fine is sadly insufficient to help solve other owners' problems.

1. Seems to be but all I have to go off is the "car phone" option available once the phone is paired. I also get handsfree and audio player when connected as car phone but directory is grey.
If sim is inserted, I get offered only audio player and directory (car hone and handsfree grey)
Proper factory Samsung on the phone, model as per sig.

2. MY13 and HN+R_EU_AU_P0532. Am I looking at the right thing?

3. voda in my phone but tested with Virgin, O2, EE and Ovivo. All perform exactly the same regardless of sim being in phone (rasp) or in dash. Have also used 3 and Ovivo data only sims in dash but obviously this less than ideal.

4. Yes but not with a sim in the dash. Connected handsfree doesn't enable any in car data Serivces so I avoid.

retired99
09-09-2013, 02:49 PM
I can't do that, if I have a SIM inserted, handsfree option is disabled in BT menus..

That's possibly because you've got a Model year 13 or earlier car. This only works with MY14 cars.

mjwells
10-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Hello,

I've got a similar problem that most seem to have. I was able to pair a Nokia 920 for handsfree (and Bluetooth audio etc). When I first got the car, I had no SIM to insert so for a while I just had it set up like that. However, s soon as I put a Three SIM into the dash, all of the handsfree features for my Nokia were lost. For example, if someone rings me while I am driving, my phone will buzz away in my jacket on the back seat but the car will not ring. I messed with it for ages until I eventually realised that the data SIM stops the Bluetooth working. Damn.

On the plus side for having a dedicated data SIM, Google Earth and the Traffic mode (which use the data connection of the Three SIM) are useful and work well with the superior reception of the car, but on the down side it seems curious and wrong to take away the use of Bluetooth handsfree features as a side-effect of having a data SIM. I would very much like to be able to answer calls in the car. After all, people who call me don't know if I'm driving so a handsfree solution is safer and better in every way.

This is a on May 2013 Audi S6. I can get the firmware version but I get the impression from others here that this is certainly "nothing new". Having rSAP would be fantastic, but there's nothing going on Windows Phone (and Microsoft own Nokia now...!) I envy the Galaxy S4 guys. Maybe I bought the wrong phone. I think Audi have not grasped the nettle here, though. They can make it work if they want to.

Michael

Olio
11-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Tried it at lunchtime with my colleague's phone. galaxy S3 + Three.

Worked perfectly first time as car phone, data is there. 3G connection, Google maps, all audi connect info...

Gutted.

skibuddy
11-09-2013, 03:54 PM
galaxy S3 + Three.

Worked perfectly first time as car phone, data is there. 3G connection, Google maps, all audi connect info...

Ditto!

Olio
11-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I then contacted Tesco to see if it was a limitation of the sim.

Don't. They have no clue what I'm talking about and don't understand the difference between HF and rSAP, and seem to have no knowledge of Audi connect (as most other networks).

They told me the sim wouldn't work in the dash, but it does, and I can get the data if I change the APN. But I want the sim in my phone, not in the car.

Tempted to remain as it is for the mo and correct it when I decide to upgrade / migrate away from Tesco...

Maybe spend a bit on a data sim... But even at £5 / mth I'd be annoyed to need it since my phone sim should do the job.

/ rant over