PDA

View Full Version : removing turbo from 2.5 V6 - help please

James H
27-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Hello all - this is cross-posted from another thread in the hope of getting more widely read - and possibly someone who knows the answer.

I have been trying this evening to remove the turbo from my 1999 A6 2.5 tdi V6 - with some success, though not complete. I have 2 remaining problems stopping the removal;

- getting the turbo to lift away from without removing or at least loosening the exhaust system because of hte angle of the header flange bolts. I suspect that there is no other answer, and I am going to have to get the car in the air and the exhaust at least loosened. If anyone knows otherwise, I would love to hear.

- the other problem is detaching the lower oil pipe from the turbo - as far as I can tell, it is held on by two small allen head bolts, and I am struggling to get my hand and any sort of tool in there. And even if I were to decide to sacrifice the pipe, and cut it to remove the turbo, I can't see how I would manage the reattachment. I have half an idea that I may have to buy an new one anyway, but I am not sure about that yet.
Again - anyone know about this, please?

thanks,

James.

adamss24
27-07-2007, 10:26 PM
You dont need to undo the oil feed pipe, all you need is to be carefull when you lift the turbocharger. Undo the 3 nuts holding the cast iron flange to the exhaust manifold at the bottom and remove the 3 nuts that holds the flange on the turbocharger's side then pull apart. Use some gloves as you may scratch your hands when you pull them apart. Also remove the 13mm bolt holding the sensors on top of the turbocharger and let loose. Save the 2 washers from the banjo bolt oil feed. Remember to lubricate the turbocharger before refitting trough the drain side and lubricate the green seal on the oil drain pipe and rotate the turbocharger when refitting. It will be a bit tight but dont bend the pipe ! Hope this helps.

James H
27-07-2007, 10:46 PM
That helps hugely, thank you. So the oil pipe simply pushes into the block with a (green) ring oil seal, and is only held in by the turbo. Is that right?

Should the green drain pipe seal be ok to reuse?

cheers,

James.

adamss24
28-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah, the oil only driblles from that pipe, its not pressurised, just gravitation helps draining it. When refitting, lightly oil the seal and carefully twist the turbo untill the flange fits with the bolts on the exhaust side, beeing carefull not to bend the oil pipe. Then refitt in the order you took everything off. If you do that couple of times, you will get good at it. I am able to replace a turbo in less than 20 min ! Let us know if you need more info, as i have the same engine and i do all the work myself. Regards, Chris.

James H
28-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Chris - thanks very much for your help. With the benefit of what you told me, I was able to get the turbo off in short order this morning, and it is now sitting on the bench waiting to go for servicing on monday morning. I was careful to make sure there was no crap going to fall down into the hole left by the oil return pipe, and I think that should be OK. All holes are sealed off until the turbo is refitted.

cheers,

James.