PDA

View Full Version : Uneconomical to repair?

frankieboy
27-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Had a call from the estimator today saying that my 03 Bora PD130 SE is uneconomical to repair after taking it through a puddle. I only bought it a couple of months ago for 6.5k.

OK it needs a new engine but that can't cost £5k as he said. I don't even believe he looked at it for longer than 2 minutes. OK I said I'd like to take the stereo out. He said that I could but I'd have to put another one in or take less money. Call me cynical here but someone here is onto a real winner. Bung a new engine in, give me a crap payout and everyone's done very nicely apart from me.

I don't want to meet trouble half way but I bet when I speak to direct line on Monday I get a very measly payout no where near £6.5k I paid very recently....What do you reckon?

Frank

a8 tech
27-07-2007, 08:15 PM
If the engine has hydraulicked due to water being drawn into the inlet then its game over,you could have it stripped down but normally they make a right old mess.Have the head taken off and check for damage to the valves and tappets and carry out a piston pretrusion test to check for bent conrods.Could you not buy it back after the pay out and wack a second hand unit in it,the labour time for engine remove and install is 13 hours plus 3 to sort out the water in the intercoolers out

neileg
28-07-2007, 09:20 PM
The fact that you bought it recently may help. Why would you accept a settlement that was well adrift from what you paid, assuming you got a half reasonable deal?

If they offer you a stupid figure, ask them where you can buy a replacement for that money. If they suggest this is a trade figure, or auction, then if you bought from a dealer (VW or indy) then this is worth more than trade prices.

My experience of Direct Line is that they are better than many companies. Don't give up hope!

chrisvrscrx
29-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Go on the autotrader website or look in the small ad's or at a VW dealership get get prices of all the bora's the same one as yours (pick the most expensive ones) Print them out tell the insurance you've seen X amount of Bora's 130 bhp SE bla bla bla miles for £X. Fax them it or send them saying you want what they cost. Try and find examples with the same milleage as yours etc. I did this when my Fabia Vrs got written off and the payout went up by a £1000.
Hope this helps.

frankieboy
31-07-2007, 12:35 PM
cheers chaps. good advice...