PDA

View Full Version : Mark VII wish list!

arkay
12-02-2012, 02:21 PM
From what I have read it looks like the forthcoming new model will a completely new car. Given the blank sheet then, what do we committed VW fans think should be included? To start us off I would suggest consideration of the following:

Solution to minimise 'misting-up'
Better rear seat folding arrangements i.e. to allow a flat load area
No electronic parking brake and handbrake positioned better for RHD
Reasonably priced Satnav
Factory fit towbar to be an option
Spare wheel still specified - no compressed foam please!
MDI standard
1.6 TDi engine to have a higher power option e.g. 115 PS
Three years Roadside Assistance from new (like Audi and Skoda)
Windscreen washer level warning as standard.

No doubt you can think of other things.

Keithuk
12-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Well I think that should have been standard of all models previously. You only get tis feature if you buy the winter pack with the headlamp washers. When they fit the washer container under the wing because there is no room under the bonnet its a guesstimate how much is in it.

I been thinking about fitting this option Low Screen Wash Warning fitted (http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/335574/2267830.aspx)

Brian566
12-02-2012, 10:58 PM
From what I have read it looks like the forthcoming new model will a completely new car. Given the blank sheet then, what do we committed VW fans think should be included? To start us off I would suggest consideration of the following:

Solution to minimise 'misting-up'
Better rear seat folding arrangements i.e. to allow a flat load area
No electronic parking brake and handbrake positioned better for RHD
Reasonably priced Satnav
Factory fit towbar to be an option
Spare wheel still specified - no compressed foam please!
MDI standard
1.6 TDi engine to have a higher power option e.g. 115 PS
Three years Roadside Assistance from new (like Audi and Skoda)

No doubt you can think of other things.

Solution to minimise 'misting-up' This should have cured a long time since its a must as sometimes its a summer only car

topdrawer
12-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Agree with all of the above.
Better storage - the centre console is wasted with the ashtray in there blocking it (and things slide around on the hard surface). The arm rest space is next to useless. A recess on top of the dash (as they used to do on earlier models) would be really useful.
Agree re the rear seat folding - its pretty crude compared to many, certainly a flat deck is a must.
Stop the air vents reflecting in the side windows.

netherfield
13-02-2012, 06:27 PM
The pegs on the tailgate for the parcel shelf should either be stronger or at least replaceable,preferably both.

Heated seats that actually heat before you get to the end of your journey, o.k. so I do have a Pheaton where the seats get warm within 5 minutes so I may be slightly spoilt there.

Any light bulbs that need replacing should be accessable within minutes and without having dismantle other parts of the car.

hermes mk6
17-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Remove the "gutters" from the roof, so that after its been raining and I'm driving, then brake, the water doesn't flood down my windscreen.

It's looks pretty ugly from the spy shots so far...time will tell when we see a proper image.

Hughesynights
17-02-2012, 08:43 PM
I probably won't get one, but my wishlist would be:

1. Solve misting problem
2. Higher trim level than Match with more standard kit (include heated seats, leather, nav, winter pack)
3. Electronic parking brake
4. Led DRL and rear lights
5. 170 horse power 2.0 tdi Bluemotion Technology version with sub 120 g / km CO2
6. Improved cup holders
7. High beam assist option

Keithuk
17-02-2012, 09:24 PM
I probably won't get one, but my wishlist would be:

7. High beam assist option

Whats that?

Guest 2
17-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Whats that?

The car automatically decides when to enable the full beam depending on oncoming traffic.

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/advice/glossary/high-beam_assistant.browser.html

Dave B
18-02-2012, 01:39 PM
A resonable price

HHGTTG
19-02-2012, 12:06 PM
The car automatically decides when to enable the full beam depending on oncoming traffic.

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/tools/advice/glossary/high-beam_assistant.browser.html

Come off it!! For goodness sake can't you make that judgment yourself? Someone else here wants an electronic handbrake. Why on earth you would need this defeats any reason I have, for this nonsense.

Guest 2
19-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't see the point of this option either.

It costs £140 on the new A6 and I'd rather save the £140 by just flicking the stalk myself and buying something else.

I wouldn't think it would be 100% accurate either tbh.

HHGTTG
19-02-2012, 12:21 PM
We already have Auto Headlights that aren't very accurate in their action, flashing on and off sometimes for no apparent reason. We also have Auto Wipers that have a mind of their own with actions that aren't always useful, wiping when they need not and not wiping when it's vital. I often have to override them to clear my forward vision.

Malarith
19-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Definitely agree on low screen wash indicator and flat folding rear seats, Mk4 had both. Get rid of those bloody parcel shelf weights that swing round in the boot, Mk4 solution was much better. Get the anchor strap attachment point put on the back of the rear seats, so the strap does not cut the boot space in half. Redesign the wing mirrors so muck does not get onto the mirror. Make the windscreen clear MUCH faster when misted/frosted and make the right hand side clear faster in a right hand car drive. Is it just me or does the left always clear faster. The new Fiesta we got clears much quicker than the Golf. Make the wing mirrors fold in when the ignition is turned off. That will do for starters...

Berisford
19-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Is it just me or does the left always clear faster?

Nope, it's not just you Malarith, the left hand side does indeed clear quicker!

Very poor design.

HHGTTG
19-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Nope, it's not just you Malarith, the left hand side does indeed clear quicker!

Very poor design.

Yes It's unbelievably annoying when the passenger can and the driver can't.

It's primitive; simple as that. Thank goodness I no longer have to drive my car to work early in the morning.

percymon
23-02-2012, 12:23 PM
For safety..

heated washer jets and headlights that are better than a pair of candles

For convenience..

better interior storage
better boot capacity (please go back to odd shaped luggage areas that things will fit in rather than nice looking but useless box)

For price..

leave out have the stuff we pay for but barely ever use

HHGTTG
23-02-2012, 12:32 PM
For safety..

heated washer jets and headlights that are better than a pair of candles

For convenience..

better interior storage
better boot capacity (please go back to odd shaped luggage areas that things will fit in rather than nice looking but useless box)

For price..

leave out have the stuff we pay for but barely ever use

That's never going to happen. More and more stuff will be foisted upon the motorist as it is with electrical equipment and TVs, PVRs etc. etc. Most of the time all that extra stuff is never used but we pay for it.

thebobster
23-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Someone else here wants an electronic handbrake. Why on earth you would need this defeats any reason I have, for this nonsense.

+1
I Agree totally

thebobster
23-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Definitely agree on low screen wash indicator and flat folding rear seats, Mk4 had both. Get rid of those bloody parcel shelf weights that swing round in the boot, Mk4 solution was much better. Get the anchor strap attachment point put on the back of the rear seats, so the strap does not cut the boot space in half. Redesign the wing mirrors so muck does not get onto the mirror. Make the windscreen clear MUCH faster when misted/frosted and make the right hand side clear faster in a right hand car drive. Is it just me or does the left always clear faster. The new Fiesta we got clears much quicker than the Golf. Make the wing mirrors fold in when the ignition is turned off. That will do for starters...

Push them in by hand , how hard is that ?

SC03OTT
23-02-2012, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't count heated washer jets as a safety feature. I have them and they're complete toss. Might as well not be fitted.

Hex69
23-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Well it look as if you'll be getting this > http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car-Magazines-Blogs/Jesse-Crosse/Tomorrows-world-Volkswagens-new-MQB-platform-tech-explained/

MQB-built cars will come with more tangible goodies too and the new Golf will be available with some premium options including camera-based traffic sign detection to help avoid breaking speed limits, fatigue sensing which detects erratic use of the steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, front assist area monitoring and lane keeping.

An all-new electronic limited slip differential will be fitted with the most powerful engines. At the Nurburgring 24-hour race, a Scirroco fitted with it lapped 8.5 seconds faster than a sister car without it. All cars will have a new variable ratio electric power steering system, the variability achieved mechanically (through gearing) rather than electronically.

Passive safety will be improved through the introduction of a pre-crash protection system into the smaller cars. There will also be a multi-collision brake system which applies the brakes automatically following an impact, preventing cars rolling on into another crash. Inside, a new 8in touch-screen system has a built-in proximity sensor which VW says makes it safer to use when driving. Sensing the imminent arrival of a finger, it switches automatically from display to operating mode.

topdrawer
23-02-2012, 08:23 PM
"... camera-based traffic sign detection to help avoid breaking speed limits" must surely be the most pointless gadget of all - sorry Officer, my gadget forgot to tell me ... Cars are approaching the point, rather like desktop computers already have, where they will do all that is required of them by most people and so manufacturers have to keep adding this froth, wrapped up in PR speak, to tempt punters to buy. Just make the car quieter, more fuel efficient and more reliable.

HHGTTG
23-02-2012, 09:00 PM
"... camera-based traffic sign detection to help avoid breaking speed limits" must surely be the most pointless gadget of all - sorry Officer, my gadget forgot to tell me ... Cars are approaching the point, rather like desktop computers already have, where they will do all that is required of them by most people and so manufacturers have to keep adding this froth, wrapped up in PR speak, to tempt punters to buy. Just make the car quieter, more fuel efficient and more reliable.

And try and find a way of making my front doors stop creaking rather than me having to modify their top seals with 1/4" irrigation tubing. There are so many intrinsic things I would rather see addressed first than a load of gobbledygook technospeak and unnecessary gimmickry.

Rhigour
24-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Well it look as if you'll be getting this > http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car-Magazines-Blogs/Jesse-Crosse/Tomorrows-world-Volkswagens-new-MQB-platform-tech-explained/

Complexity for complexites sake , I can remember when you could keep a 20 year old car running with a bit of string some electrical tape and an egg ( the egg to crack and pour into the radiator cap when the matrix started leaking coolant)

Malarith
24-02-2012, 11:14 PM

It's a frikking 'luxury' pack that I payed hard earned cash for. They should fold in with the ignition being turned off.

To be honest it was more that my expectations were dashed that was annoying. I assumed they would fold in as I'd seen on a number of other cars. Hey ho, I learnt from that mistake and will question more closely any future options I may purchase.

HHGTTG
25-02-2012, 10:06 AM
It's a frikking 'luxury' pack that I payed hard earned cash for. They should fold in with the ignition being turned off.

To be honest it was more that my expectations were dashed that was annoying. I assumed they would fold in as I'd seen on a number of other cars. Hey ho, I learnt from that mistake and will question more closely any future options I may purchase.

I'd hate mine to do what you've suggested. In out, in out every bloody time the ignition is turned on or off!! Think what might happen during the recent very cold weather with hard frozen water in and around the swivel mechanism. You turn on the ignition and then crunch, grate, grrrunch as the mirrors try to turn outwards and then snap, they're broken.
No you can keep that and leave it to the driver to do it when necessary.

Malarith
25-02-2012, 01:23 PM
I'd hate mine to do what you've suggested. In out, in out every bloody time the ignition is turned on or off!! Think what might happen during the recent very cold weather with hard frozen water in and around the swivel mechanism. You turn on the ignition and then crunch, grate, grrrunch as the mirrors try to turn outwards and then snap, they're broken.
No you can keep that and leave it to the driver to do it when necessary.
I understand the concerns about the cold weather on the mechanism, but Mercedes and BMW manage it without a problem.

HHGTTG
25-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I understand the concerns about the cold weather on the mechanism, but Mercedes and BMW manage it without a problem.

Precisely. But VW 'ain't' no BMW OR Mercedes - a rung or two down the ladder of quality, engineering and construction.

Rhigour
25-02-2012, 06:00 PM
The only thing Mecedes excells at is seperating the owner from his spondoolix

HHGTTG
25-02-2012, 07:13 PM
The only thing Mecedes excells at is seperating the owner from his spondoolix

I think that VW/Audi excel in that also, by the time some of us have over-speccd their cars, elevating them to an absurd price, the likes of which will never be recouped.

Hughesynights
26-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Electric folding mirrors is a very nice feature.
It's not that hard to open a window or adjust a seat by hand either, but electric is better.

Just like HD TV is slightly better than SD, computers are better than typewriters and central heating is better than burning coal in each room.
Modern life is made up of lots of thinks that aren't, in themselves, a vast improvement, but together make life a lot easier.

Welshade
19-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Misting and frosting of the windscreen, this has been my major downfall with my mk6....change this on the mk7 and i'll be happy to order one

Malarith
14-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Just whilst I remember, make the rear demister and the side mirrors demister come on from the same switch rear demister switch. It's ruddy annoying when you go into reverse expecting your off side mirror to be dipped and it isn't because the side mirror control isn't in the correct position as a result of having to use it to demist the side mirrors. Especially as you have to stop, go into neutral, turn the switch to the correct position, go into reverse again and then the off side mirror dips. Little things, but stuff that regularly annoys you when using your car. Someone should just spot this stuff and fix it before production. It's not rocket science!

Malarith
29-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Definitely agree on low screen wash indicator and flat folding rear seats, Mk4 had both. Get rid of those bloody parcel shelf weights that swing round in the boot, Mk4 solution was much better. Get the anchor strap attachment point put on the back of the rear seats, so the strap does not cut the boot space in half.

Bah, so no low screen wash indicator as standard,surely that is a safety feature, not a luxury :confused: Especially at this time of year with wet roads and salt. Go to wipe the the screen clear and no water. One very smeary windscreen you can't see out of!

The seat load through is sort of flat with the rear tray installed in it's top position. Anchor straps are now in the right position.

So, does anyone know if the parcel shelf weights are still swinging around? They still make me jump when they hit the side of the boot space.

Ta

Berisford
30-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Misting and frosting of the windscreen, this has been my major downfall with my mk6....change this on the mk7 and i'll be happy to order one

I've put my name down for a run around with our dealer at a Mk7 promotion weekend coming up in a couple of weeks. Top of my list to check is the very poor demisting on the drivers side v the passenger side and the headlights, if the main beam still remains fixed v the dip than can be load adjusted then all I can say is the Germans aren't so clever. If these two problems at least haven't been sorted then it's 'no sale'!