PDA

View Full Version : Poor Mileage - cold weather?

Passat Sport
12-02-2012, 12:30 PM
On my relatively short journey into work (7 miles), I used to get mileage in the low to mid 50s on the way into work and high 40s on the way home. With the cold weather, this has degraded by 7-10mpg. Ditto motorway driving. A 50 mile drive to my daughter now 52-55 mpg, was 60-65 before the cold weather. Anybody else having a similar problem or is a visit to the dealer required?

rapport25
12-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Dont worry about it. Thats the norm. In the colder weather your mpg will always drop.

Hugh Jend
12-02-2012, 05:48 PM
On my relatively short journey into work (7 miles), I used to get mileage in the low to mid 50s on the way into work and high 40s on the way home. With the cold weather, this has degraded by 7-10mpg. Ditto motorway driving. A 50 mile drive to my daughter now 52-55 mpg, was 60-65 before the cold weather. Anybody else having a similar problem or is a visit to the dealer required?

I'm just waiting for VW to sort out a week long test drive on a 170 sport. However, it's reassuring to know that the published MPGs are attainable in the 'real world'.
If I may ask you about the park assist, is it worth the outlay..in your opinion?

Cheers!

Passat Sport
12-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Dont worry about it. Thats the norm. In the colder weather your mpg will always drop.
Agreed, but this seems rather excessive. I had a Mondeo diesel before the Passat and the drop was nowhere near as severe.

Hugh
Front and rear sensors v. useful, but park assist not so much. It works and works well, but I still don't really trust it and prefer to use my own judgement