PDA

View Full Version : Please Help 2011 Jetta demo

rodaire
11-02-2012, 01:54 PM
After some considerable pain involving the gearchange in 1st, 2nd and 3rd on my Jetta (pain in trying to interest someone at the dealer and/or Volkswagen_UK in the problem) I am now appealing to anyone with the same vehicle: 2.0 Tdi SE 6-speed.

If there is anyone with this type who might be travelling anywhere in SW Scotland (Dumfriesshire) who could allow me to compare their gearchange as above I would be very grateful. I have told VW that if another similar vehicle has the same 'feature' I will give up and drive it until my contract expires and then get rid of.

Many thanks

gazz01
11-02-2012, 05:24 PM
sorry i don"t live in scotland,i"m on merseyside but i do have the same 2.0 tdi jetta se and the gearchange is fine.it can be a bit notchy but no trouble getting into any gears.

rodaire
11-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks for that. When you say 'notchy' is that on all gears or just 1,2 and 3. Also, do you know if the clutch cable is solid or the 'self-adjusting' one?

gazz01
11-02-2012, 08:30 PM
its like you can feel the cogs mesh sometimes through the gearlever.i had a mk 6 golf tsi with a six speed box and that was the same.in fact the golf would struggle to go into 1st gear when cold.i think its a common thing with the six speed box.just read on another forum a guy with a golf gtd with the same problem with difficult gear changes.on the whole though im very happy with the jetta.im not sure whetther the clutch is hydraulic or cable.its probably hydraulic.

rodaire
11-02-2012, 10:00 PM
Well that sounds like mine. I just cannot believe that this is a 'normal' condition in these vehicles. Looks like I should provide VW with the experience and push for a resolution. "Good luck", says you. LOL

rodaire
08-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Just a final update to this story !

I have persuaded the dealer to work over the gearshift cabling which has been done twice as per the excellent YouTube demo <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp9ggefOjAE>. The vehicle now has a 90% success rate in smooth changes and I have discovered that the clutch is hydraulically driven !

The Customer Service at Volkswagen UK (Sheffield office), (Jenny Boyd) has been absolutely first class in supporting my requests above and contacted me so many times by phone that I asked her if I was on her speed-dial.