PDA

View Full Version : New 313 BHP 3.0 TDi A7

soofsayer
11-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Hi All,

I was messing on the online configurator this morning and noticed there is now a 313 bhp tdi quattro A7 available. Looks like consumption figures are about 10% lower, it sports an 8 speed gearbox.

Anyone getting one? I have also asked my dealer about an RS version, was told that they bring out the RS towards the end of the model run (this was not the case with the RS4 a few years ago). Anyone heard anything?

Architex_mA8tey
11-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Interesting - The consumption figures or emissions aren't hugely worse than the 3.0 tdi 245 - but still pretty good though. . .
Also has the tiptronic gearbox rather than the s-tronic twin clutch

S line 3.0 TDI quattro tiptronic 313 BHP
Combined fuel consumption: 44.1 mpg
Combined CO2 emissions: 169 g/km
Urban consumption: 35.3 mpg
Extra urban consumption: 50.4 mpg

S line 3.0 TDI quattro S tronic 245 BHP
Combined fuel consumption: 47.9 mpg
Combined CO2 emissions: 156 g/km
Urban consumption: 39.2 mpg
Extra urban consumption: 54.3 mpg

mcwill
11-02-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm certainly considering one.

As I understand it, the only differences over the 245 BHP car are...

Engine performance (5.3 sec 0-60 compared to 6.1 sec)
8 gear tiptronic box vs 7 gear s tronic
"Loudspeaker" in exhaust to create a throaty burble to the exhaust note.

Does anyone know what the difference is between a tiptronic & s tronic gearbox?

m3-fast
12-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Isn't the tiptronic a variation of the old CVT slushbox, whereas Multitronic is the double clutch system (usually dubbed as DSG or DCT by other marques)

Architex_mA8tey
12-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Isn't the tiptronic a variation of the old CVT slushbox, whereas Multitronic is the double clutch system (usually dubbed as DSG or DCT by other marques)

Err basically no! The Tiptronic is a proper automatic box ( normally by ZF) with 8 gears and you can either select drive or s mode and then manually change gears using paddles.
S-tronic is Audi's version of the VW DSG gearbox. 7 speed and you have 2 sets of clutches that are always pre-selecting even and odd gears so that gear changes are very quick (0.015 secs) This has drive and sport modes plus paddle change manual mode.
Mutitronic is the Audi CVT (continuously variable transmission) offering which I find less pleasant to drive and which sounds like a london taxi when you're driving it!

Crasher
13-02-2012, 12:27 AM
I have also asked my dealer about an RS version

The S7 is coming very soon with a 420PS version of the new Bentley/S8 4 litre V8 twin turbo engine, I imagine the RS7will get the full fat 520PS version.

soofsayer
13-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm certainly considering one.

As I understand it, the only differences over the 245 BHP car are...

Engine performance (5.3 sec 0-60 compared to 6.1 sec)
8 gear tiptronic box vs 7 gear s tronic
"Loudspeaker" in exhaust to create a throaty burble to the exhaust note.

And the price....

Personally I think that unless you play the 'mine's bigger than yours' car park bragging game (just get the S or RS instead), the 313 version is a bit pointless. The 245 is plenty quick enough to keep me interested whilst balancing the car's size and weight against scrubbing off the rubber. Fuel consumption & tax are reasonable. The s-tronic gearbox is excellent. The only criticism of the engine is that the turbo lag is something I have not quite got used to yet. I wouldn't think the 313 version will make much difference to that as it is a bigger capacity of the same lump?

I don't understand why manufacturers install acoustic electronic valves in exhausts to create sounds that shouldn't be there, if someone wants the sound of a big petrol V8, then surely buy one.

mcwill
13-02-2012, 08:49 PM
And the price....

Well yes, that's the unknown factor at the moment. I'm still waiting for a price from the dealer to compare against the 245 quote.

For me, the engine is a plus point, the exhaust sound system is neutral and the tiptronic box a minus.

The only criticism of the engine is that the turbo lag is something I have not quite got used to yet. I wouldn't think the 313 version will make much difference to that as it is a bigger capacity of the same lump?

I think the big difference will be the two turbos, consisting of a small turbo that spins up faster to improve response at low revs in sequence with a larger turbo to give that extra grunt once the revs rise.

Extra grunt is always nice, but it's the smaller faster spooling turbo that improves general driveability.

Crasher
13-02-2012, 11:42 PM
The CGQB engine.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/CGQBturbo.jpg

soofsayer
14-02-2012, 01:09 PM
the tiptronic box a minus.

Why is that if you don't mind me asking? I can't find fault with it.

mcwill
14-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Why is that if you don't mind me asking? I can't find fault with it.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with it, but after doing some reading on the differences between the s-tronic & tiptronic boxes; given a free choice I would probably choose the s-tronic over the tiptronic.

soofsayer
14-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm sure there is nothing wrong with it, but after doing some reading on the differences between the s-tronic & tiptronic boxes; given a free choice I would probably choose the s-tronic over the tiptronic.

Apologies mcwill - I was getting my 'tronics' mixed up. Yes, I agree the s-tronic is the better box in my opinion also - and what I have been using, duh!