PDA

View Full Version : WiFi in the front pax seat?

Timothy Nathan
10-02-2012, 01:11 AM
I have just read on p73 of the MMI book that the WiFi doesn't work in the front passenger seat.

Please someone tell me this isn't true. I am not going to drive round with her ladyship in the back because she wants to use her iPad!!

MFGF
10-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Seems an odd claim to make. Wifi isn't that directional I don't think - unless they mean the wifi will be disabled when the passenger seat is in use? This would be very irritating. I can't test any of this until April (assuming I can get my car online at all when it arrives, that is!)

MF.

Timothy Nathan
10-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Have you read p73? It's phrased in a weird way
"While you are driving, small, light Wireless LAN devices that are not permanently attached can only be operated from the rear seats of the vehicle"
What the Dickens* does that mean? Is an iPad heavy and large enough? It just doesn't make sense! :confused:

* I didn't write Dickens first time round, but it is his week :Blush2:

Sam
10-02-2012, 06:18 PM
I presume, as with dash/front mounted media (DVD/BD) players, it is to stop the driver being distracted.

An EU 'law' I believe and the reason why you cannot watch a DVD/BD while in motion unless you over-ride the cutout.

Time to buy a chauffeur's hat?

Edit: I agree the manual is odd though, one for our resident Audi tech I think - paging A8-tech, come in A8-tech!

BigAid
12-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Hmm will test with a passenger - gut instinct is that's crap as wifi appears available when I'm driving with no passengers and can't believe they put a sensor in passenger seat to disable if it

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.470791,-0.127270
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a8 tech
12-02-2012, 08:47 AM
works only from inside the vehicle and that's the only limitation I no of

Timothy Nathan
12-02-2012, 09:06 AM
works only from inside the vehicle and that's the only limitation I no of
Thank you. So, any idea what the quote from the manual means?

a8 tech
12-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Audi manuals are a guide and not 100% correct although I'm not aware of the passenger seat it may help if some of the A7 or A8 owners can confirm but I am sure you can sit in the passenger seat of the A7 with WiFi access.

I have looked at all the information I have and there is no mention of this, sorry I can not give a confirmed answer at this time but did look at our new car stock but could not find a new a6 with wifi

Will keep my eye on it though as I think its something I need to no

aurora7
12-02-2012, 09:23 AM
I can confirm that wi-fi is available in both front seats in my A7.

a8 tech
12-02-2012, 09:26 AM
thought it was

Timothy Nathan
12-02-2012, 11:33 AM
I can confirm that wi-fi is available in both front seats in my A7.
Thank you. And does it have the same paragraph in the MMI Manual?

kennyh
12-02-2012, 11:49 AM
It's probably just legal <removed> covering. Certainly it works anywhere in my A7.

I'll check the manual and let you know if it says that also.

aurora7
12-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Thank you. And does it have the same paragraph in the MMI Manual?

Page 72 of my A7 manual; ("Configuring the WLAN connection") doesn't mention it. Some warning about the driver only using the WLAN hotspot when stationary (!!) but nothing about front passenger restrictions.

I just cannot see how a wifi signal could be banned from a front seating area in such a small cabin area anyway?

Timothy Nathan
12-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Well, I'm not making it up! :D

aurora7
12-02-2012, 01:03 PM
I reckon that your A6 manual sentence is Audi's more paranoid version of mine, i.e. "driver shouldn't use wifi whilst driving" morphs into "no-one in the front should use wifi ever" :biglaugh:

Timothy Nathan
12-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Last edited by A6_Chris; Today at 10:59 AM. Reason: swear filter is in place for a reason, please dont bypass it.
Was "Dickens" OK? That was my second choice! :p

nealeb
12-02-2012, 05:48 PM
I just cannot see how a wifi signal could be banned from a front seating area in such a small cabin area anyway?

EU regulations can be quite specific, you know, and if the EU tells radio waves to behave in a particular way, then I'm sure they would obey. Of course, in less well-regulated parts of the world radio waves wander where they will but they just don't have the discipline that ours do.

ianfarnham
12-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Definitely works in front seat on new A6 - my wife was very content using her iPad whilst I was driving !

Timothy Nathan
12-02-2012, 06:23 PM
That's a relief, thank you!