PDA

View Full Version : Wheelspinning

ricky_s
09-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi,

I have a 3 litre TDI S Line and although I don't have a heavy right foot I seem to wheel spin quite a bit!

My colleague has the same car but with bigger wheels and his does the same. Looks like my tyres aren't going to last too long.

ianfarnham
09-02-2012, 08:44 PM
curious - might I suggest you are enjoying driving it too much ;-). I've got exactly the same spec and yes it is easy if the roads are a little damp or greasy but generally I've found it pretty stable and quite similar in traction terms to my old C6 2.7TDi.

Trying to eke out the fuel I find that the Eco drive set-up also means that you cant get so much power down to the wheels unless you kick-down or pull back into Sport..

nealeb
09-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Ditto - eco mode seems to soften the throttle response so it would need quite a determined shove on the throttle to provoke wheelspin. Even in the recent frosty weather giving it a bit more throttle than usual didn't cause any wheelspin, and that's on roads where I could lock all four wheels braking. Maybe it's an advantage of the SE with its slightly narrower tyres? Don't know about wheelspin on dry roads but I guess that eco mode comments apply here as well.

shabazmo
10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
You also neeed to consider that in this very cold weather your summer tyres will have hardened up reducing your grip. It might be worthwhile buying some winter tyres for 5 months of the year.