PDA

View Full Version : Launch control

nealeb
09-02-2012, 10:46 AM
There have been a few interesting threads started recently about various features of the new A6, but this is one that I don't remember seeing mentioned - launch control.

Reading the small print in the manual under "S-Tronic gearbox", some way past the boring bits where most people stop, I was surprised to read that S-Tronic cars apparently are equipped with launch control. I don't have the manual in front of me, but as I remember it you turn off ESP, stick it in "Dynamic", left foot hard on brake, right foot flat to the floor, and the revs rise to about halfway. You then have 5 seconds to take your left foot off the brake and hold tight...

Haven't tried it myself out of a mixture of mechanical sympathy and self-protection, but I was surprised to see it there. Don't think it was marked as an optional item - seemed to come as standard with the S-Tronic. I can remember talking to an S4 owner (think it was an S4) a while back who said that his car had this feature, but you invalidated the warranty if you used it more than 6 times!

Anyone had a play with this feature?

Timothy Nathan
09-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Page 93 of the manual. You don't have to be in Dynamic, just S is enough. You don't have to limit the revs, just both feet hard down.

It sounds moronic.

nealeb
09-02-2012, 11:58 AM
"I'd like 60litres of diesel and two new clutches, please..."