PDA

View Full Version : Question MMI High - Navigation question

Gardj
08-02-2012, 05:36 PM
New Audi A4 Technik - OK, so unable to locate a postcode destination (new build) so I select choose destination from map - search as I might I cannot see how I can move the crosshairs, its not the rotary knob. Nothing in the manual about how to move it if there is not a joystick (I wish :-) ). Any help appreciated.

Guest 2
08-02-2012, 05:40 PM
I take it you have the 3G DVD nav? I can't do this either on the loan A4 I have out at the minute, but I can do it on my older 2G system in my A6.

Its usually press down the rotary, then it allows you to scroll the features down the side of the screen then it allows you to move the crosshairs. I'm not sure why they didn't bring that feature across from 2G.

dts439
08-02-2012, 06:43 PM
On ours you can use the central round MMI control as a joy stick. It has a small amount of movemenet from centre. Once you have found what you want then press it to set the destination

Works much better than the RNS-E system we had in the previous B7

John140
08-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I wish I could do this with my MMI satnav. If you dont have a street number, the partial postcode search can send you way off and this would be how I would have used my old Garmin sat-nav under the circumstances, ie you point your chubby finger at the point on the map you want to go to.

rd1
08-02-2012, 09:17 PM
don't you just push the return switch behind the rotary one as a shortcut to get the cross hairs up then turn the rotary for where you want to go. Think I will have to got to the car to check now!!

ScottyUK
08-02-2012, 11:06 PM
On my 3G you just move the joysitck on top of the silver dial and it swaps to map mode and left you move the cursor around.

Gardj
09-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Thanks everyone - A6_Chris, when I go to the features, scroll is greyed out, weird I know.

The rotary knob doesn't have any movement :-) - tried that ;).

Frustrating, as the navigation is pointing me miles away from where I want to be. All I want to do is point to a destination on the map :-). Thanks.

Soot1e
09-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Gardj, first of all please confirm you have MMI high. This is the hard disc version which does not use a DVD disc. If your Nav is DVD based the rotary knob is flat topped and you do not have the cross hair facility. If you have the hdd version the rotary knob has a small joy stick inset into the top of the knob and can be identified by a small indentation. The joy stick moves independently of the rotary knob.
To bring up the cross hairs just push the joy stick button down and release, the cross hairs will appear on the map and can be moved using the joy stick.

Gardj
09-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Soot1e - yep got it! I thought the black button was just a confirm button but as you say, around the edge it is also a joystick. Thanks everyone, problem solved.

ScottyUK
09-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Doesn't your manual include this ?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3628815/Car/A4/3G%20MMI.jpg

-2- Rotary pushbutton with joystick
To select a menu option in the MMI display, turn the rotary pushbutton in the required direction and then press it. You can use the joystick to move the crosshairs on a map or to operate the DVD menu