PDA

View Full Version : Please Help A4 B6 2.0 Multitronic Cold Start Issues

alexmcrobbie
07-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi guys,

First post on here so go easy on me if I state the obvious.

I've started experiencing some issues with my 2004 2.0 A4 (petrol), its covered just 22,000 miles and has full Audi Centre service history.

A few days ago I went out to start the car (about 4 degrees Celsius) and when it started it ran very lumpy and sounded as if it was on 3 cylinders, revving it didn't help and when it settled back down to idle it just cut out. Restarting it didn't help and it just kept dying. Eventually I think I flooded the engine as it would just crank over and not start.

So I called up the dealer and they sent an RAC man to see what the issue was. When he plugged the car into a computer it threw up the "Coolant Temp Sensor Open Circuit (G63)" fault, I've heard this is a common issue on B6 generation A4's.

So, the RAC guy sat and revved the car for a few minutes and once it had warmed up it ran on all 4 cylinders. We took it to the dealer where they replaced the faulty sensor, after that all was well and everything seemed fine....

However, this morning I went out to start the car (about 4 degrees Celsius again), and it was only running on 3 cylinders again.... I decided to just drive it on 3 pots to the dealer, on the way the Check Engine Light started flashing and I had to keep it in sport mode to keep the revs up so it wouldn't stall, after a few minutes of driving the light extinguished and the car ran on all 4 again... It's currently sitting with the dealer awaiting inspection.

Was just wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues with their cars? It seems like a strange one since once the car is warm it runs fine. It had a coil replaced a couple of months ago but I wouldn't have thought this was a coil related issue since the car runs fine once its warm. It's also a bit confusing since the Coolant Temp Sensor has just been replaced, so it can't be anything to do with that...

Any help would be much appreciated...

warp_speed
07-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi, another well known issue with petrol Audi's is coil packs. Anyway coil packs are a problem and can be a bit temperamental when they start to go Pete Tong. You need to get someone with a ecu reader such as a VCDS and see what the faults are stored in the engine management system. Would take a wild guess its a coil pack. In fact I think Audi have a recall on them. Check with your local Audi dealer what the story is with your car and Coil pack replacement.... That's if it is the coil pack.

steveheather
07-02-2012, 07:36 PM
warp_speed is most probably correct. Your car may very likely be subject of Audi's 'enhancement campaign 28E9' whereby they will replace all your coil packs free of any charge if your existing coil packs meet certain criteria and they haven't already been changed under the campaign.
I have a 2004 1.8t A4 and mine were done only a week ago and all replaced despite the fact that they were performing fine. Mention the above named campaign to the Service Dept - the whole job takes about half an hour.

Of course this may not be your problem but you should nevertheless check before spending any of your own hard earned.

Steve

alexmcrobbie
09-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys,

Would just like to start by saying thanks for your replies,

Update to the situation. The dealer has installed 4 new coil packs under the 28E9 campaign. This was despite them telling me that "coils have no in between stage when they fail" and laughing at me for even suggesting it could be coils at fault...

I've only had the car about a month and it's already been back with the dealer 5 times for warranty repairs, not what I had expected of a low milage Audi... I'm just glad it's under warranty, can't see myself keeping the car once it runs out....

warp_speed
10-02-2012, 12:18 PM
did the coil change resolve your problems?

alexmcrobbie
24-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi warp_speed, really sorry for the delay in my response, yes this seems to have solved the problem. Now I can finally start improving the car :P