PDA

View Full Version : Cabin smell

burkey1
07-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Folks,

A few weeks ago I started getting a mild odor in the cabin of what smelt like exhaust fumes.
This would only happen when the car would come to a stop.

Lately I am finding this is happening more often and went on a 2 hour journey recently I found I had a slight headache after it.

I havnt even lifted the bonnet yet to investigate, therefore am looking for possible causes before I tackle it probably tomorrow night.
I done the pollen filter about 3-4 years ago (≈25,000 miles), so off the top of my head was thinking of changing that, but not sure if that’s the root cause.

Any similar experiences or ideas welcome.

Car is Audi below.

Regards,

yaman
07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
If it smells like exhaust fumes, then it probably is..

Keep the climate on recirc untill you find the source.

Regards
Jim

burkey1
07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks,

Any idea of where to look for the source?
No noticable power loss, no change in engine note. If it's a leak then its very slight IMO.

Hex69
07-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Have your bung holes in the plenum chamber been removed? If so they can draw engine fumes up through the pollen filter into the cabin.

stevo0582
07-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I recently stripped and removed all my crankcase breather pipes, as they were choked to the point of nearly being blocked, all the way round to the TIP, was shocked how bad, car only has 81000mls but on removal i noticed the pipe that exits the crankcase, (hard plastic elbow secured by a u clip, joints onto T piece housing PCV) was broken and crumbling where it joints the crankcase and as soon as i disturbed it it fell apart at the base so i could only temporarily offer in place until i received the replacement from audi, on the interim the fumes and smell i was getting was similar to yourself, especially whilst idling in traffic, possibly due to lack of rushing air removing fumes, as soon as i fitted the new hose car has been a fume free zone, my car is the BEX engine so i'm not sure how much they differ but it would take about 5mins of your time to rule out, the crankcase breather on my engine is below the inlet manifold quick tricky to access but you should be able visually inspect. just a thought good luck.

stevo0582
07-02-2012, 12:39 PM
jst to add possibly worth checking all of the pipes leading from the crank breather as plastic ones, break up interally become soft and brittle with age.

burkey1
07-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Have your bung holes in the plenum chamber been removed? If so they can draw engine fumes up through the pollen filter into the cabin.

No, I just clear it every year or so, but thanks for the tip.

burkey1
07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Again thanks for tip, I guess its a poke around and a piece of tissue time:(

stevo0582
07-02-2012, 05:13 PM
May the force be with u!!!

burkey1
07-02-2012, 09:25 PM
May the force be with u!!!

And also with you!!!!:D