PDA

View Full Version : All 4 widows fully lowered after 8 days parked

oneowl
06-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Please help,
I have just returned from a week long holiday and opened my garage door to find my 13 month CC sat there with all of it's windows fully retracted but the doors still locked and presumably the alarm system still armed. At first I thought there had been a break in but all items left in the car were untouched and absolutely no signs of any fowl play. The weather has been very cold but that is the only thing different to how the car's been stored. Previous longer periods of unuse have not caused any issues in the past. Called VW and they were very short of ideas to be polite!

Thanks in advance

johnloaderuk
06-02-2012, 08:53 PM
Are you sure you didn't activate the 'Roll down function' ? (even if you didn't mean to). To try this unlock the car as usual, then press and hold down the unlock button again and all four windows will open fully after a few seconds. The opposite also applies for locking. If all or any windows are open when you lock the car, hold in the lock button once again after the initial locking and any open windows will close automatically.

This could have happened if you inadvertantly pushed/lent etc on the key fob without realising it - tight trousers, carrying something heavy resting against the fob etc. I also garage my car and have noticed you cannot leave it unlocked overnight as it automatically locks itself after a while - luckily I have never left the key in it when I tried it. This could explain why it was locked upon your return, but with all windows open.

I've just been out to my car to confirm it does work like this.

Just a thought, and there may be an underlying problem looming.

oneowl
07-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the response.
This sounds extremely plausible. At first I would have said no because the car was freezing inside, i.e. the windows had been down for some time. I then questioned the wife as to whether she had used my keys to access the garage whilst I had been on holiday!! "oh yes, I took loads of tins of paint out to store in the back. I did have my hands full and could have held the fob down!!" I think we have the culprit !! Thanks for all your help.

Kind regards

portovechios
07-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Lol

Pirate983
17-02-2012, 01:21 AM
LOL. Glad you found the answer to your mystery

Scooby-Doo
20-02-2012, 12:00 PM
I also garage my car and have noticed you cannot leave it unlocked overnight as it automatically locks itself

I generally leave mine unlocked in the garage and it doesn't lock itself automatically. ???????

FastEddieVW
28-02-2012, 01:29 PM
The car will only self-lock if you unlock it and don't open any doors and the boot, it will time out and re-lock. If you open a door the timer will cancel and it will remain unlocked.

Teflon
12-03-2012, 11:13 AM
The automatic windows down function is a menace.

I once briskly walked away from my brand new Audi A6 in a car park in torrential rain, carrying a big armful of papers and other stuff. I obviously had the key fob clenched in among the papers. A colleague phoned an hour later to say that the windows were down and inside it was like a swimming pool. I'm pleased that your car was safe and secure in the garage.

You can disable this function if you have the high-line screen display and I recommend doing so. If you only have the mid-line it needs a trip to the dealer (who will probably do it as a freebie if you ask nicely) or else someone with VCDS.

johnloaderuk
23-03-2012, 09:47 PM
The car will only self-lock if you unlock it and don't open any doors and the boot, it will time out and re-lock. If you open a door the timer will cancel and it will remain unlocked.

I agree with this and fully understand the system as I've had several VW's. However, I've tried it three times this week and every time it locks itself. I'll explain exactly what happens.

1.I arrive home and stop in the drive way, the car has DSG, so I put it in 'park', release my seat belt, which puts the handbrake on.
2. Jump out of the car, never fully close the door in case it locks itself with the key inside, then open the garage door, then jump back in the car. I release the handbrake manually as I don't wear my seatbelt when driving into the garage.
3. Once in the garage I turn the engine off and remove the key from the ignition. I go to the boot which I have to open with the keyfob push button as it's still locked. Remove luggage then close the boot.
4. Leave car in garage, but I don't lock it as my garage is integral with the house so I can go straight indoors.
5. If I then return to the car after a few minutes to put something in or take something out it's locked itself, despite me having got out in the garage when the drivers door has obviously been opened.

The one thing I have noticed is that the light doesn't flash in the door to indicate the alarm is activated. When you try the door handle the car is locked and requires the usual push on the key fob to unlock it.

I have all doors on auto lock so as soon as the car moves everything locks, and also have it set so one push on the keyfob only opens the drivers door. I thought it was me at first but after having tried it three seperate days this week this is what happens every time. There must be some logic to it somewhere, but it might be a problem if I left the key in the car and it locked itself.