PDA

View Full Version : Question Battery Seems to be low in the Cold weather ?

omar
06-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Hi I have notice that my 2008 A4 seems to slighty strugle when starting in the morning lately. I some time press on the gas thinking it won't have enough to start by itself, its not actually gone flat or has not started but since then i have been making sure that the lights have been set to off rather than on Auto, turn off the fan heather and MMI system. But still seems low in the morning ??

Could this be to the cold weather or is my battery had its day ?

Is there anything i could do to make this better, heard of things like battery tablets etc but not checked is the battery is one where you can open the top to put more alkaline water in etc.

Please help :1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp::1 zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:

John140
07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
You should never touch the throttle if you want the car to start efficiently from cold or hot.

It is highly unlikely that a 2008 battery is dead already, my dada has a 2003 Passat with the origional battery from new !!!!! Alythough this is an extreme case and I told him that one day soon he will wake up and it will just be lifeless.

Its just pretty cold lately and as long as the car gets a reasonable run of say 7+ miles it should be fine.

portovechios
07-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Tis bloody cold and your battery will be busting its nuts at the moment.

It may crank a little slower, the oil is cold the tolerences in modern engines are minute,pistons and cylinders are slow to get going, thats why oil quality and changes are so important.

Get a metre across your battery, should be around 12.6 and 13.6 when engine running and things on like rear heated screen, fans and things

theblacksurge
09-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I get this everytime we have very cold weather, except I also get the battery warning on this display and eventually a failure to start.
Audi replaced the battery under warranty, then with the next bought of cold weather same problem arose, audi replaced the battery again and updated the management software, problem still existed so audi changed the battery control module. At this point the temperatures rose and problem stayed away for 10 months, only to return again with the return of winter temperatures.
Audi checked the car for current drain and charging problems etc. all was fine except diagnosis indicated another duff battery (3rd one in 3 years).
I recently spent a day working through diagnostics with VCDS and that also pointed to a dead battery with no drains. I know that as soon as the temperatures rise above 5degrees the problems vanish and the car will be fine.
I get round it by sticking it on charge overnight twice a week during cold temperatures, after all I don't really want to buy a new battery every year...

omar
11-02-2012, 04:30 AM
Thanks guys for your help, I now start without the throttle struggles but always starts ! I guess the weather is taking its toll !!