PDA

View Full Version : AMI leads - if you're buying one - make sure you get the one with a red collar

BigAid
06-02-2012, 10:16 AM
If your buying an AMI lead or getting a new car and the dealer is throwing one in then the normal blue collar one doesn't do cover flow with all the album art/video transmission

Part 4F0051510R - £35 from a dealer has the apple chip in it and can do:

A new iPod adaptor cable with authentication from model year 2012 is now available.
This cable supports new functions (depending on the vehicle and iPod/iPhone) including:

Cover art: In the Tooltip and in operations (MMI3G+ only), the cover art of the currently played title will be displayed
Browsing video content of the iPod/iPhone: Through the authentication (licence chip) the extended data of the iPod will be unblocked and the video platform of the browser will be available
Video, films, video-podcasts, music videos: You can view video files when the vehicle is stopped or on rear-seat entertainment packages
and typically I found this out after my dealer threw in the combined lead pack - whilst its nice to have a usb lead as well to load the jukebox it means I can't do any of the above yet.....if you don't care about the album art work I'll probably have a lead for sale shortly.......

jumpingmatt
15-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I have a MY 2011 car with the basic SD nbased Nav and recently had the MMI software upgraded (for a Sat Nav problem). Just picked up one of these AMI iPod adaptors and now I can see my album artwork :-)

ninjabob
01-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks for this tip - just picked up my new car and mine is the old type - no album artwork!!

Going to get it replaced.

BigAid
02-03-2012, 01:34 AM
No worries :)

If yours is new MMI should be up to date to run it without a software upgrade

Aid

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tcczrp
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninjabob
02-03-2012, 12:10 PM
They have already acknowledged that I have the wrong lead and have placed one on order - thanks again.

Yowfailed
03-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Oh Bugger!!!

Just got the Blue Collar lead having initially purchased the wrong Black Collar lead for my 2009 MMI 3G system. It now works :-)

The cars back in the dealers on Wednesday for an MMI software update due to Telephone Directory issues. Are we saying that if I get the Red Collar lead I will then be able to view album artwork similar to overflow on my Mac?

If this is the car then I need to lay down! :-)

BigAid
03-03-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't think so as I think the C6 facelift 2009 plate will have mmi3g and think the C7 2011 plate onwards have mmi3g+

I had a blue collar lead on an 2009 plate but only had the basic visual interface similar to the black lead I had on a 2007 plate interface.

I think the Coverflow and cover art is mmi3g+ only which would be an C7 2011 plate with an mmi update or a 2012 plate onwards......

BigAid
03-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Right pictures below from a C7 with MMI High - these are from jukebox - iPhone / iPod should work same way - think if you have a grey box on top right hand side where the album artwork goes then it might work - if I plug my iPhone in (blue collar lead) it looks identical but grey box instead of album cover and no Coverflow option - if it's the older scroll up and down interface then don't think it will work

BigAid
03-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Below is from an A7 thread regarding iPhones - however would have thought it would be applicable given the similarities

Thanks a8 tech

So if your sw version is k0485_18 this should function if below book your vehicles into your dealers for the update
Also this update allows the cover art and video for iPhone 4 etc using the revised ami lead

Sent from my iPhone using
My fat fingers

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vx3ze2

Yowfailed
04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks BigAid

How do I find out what my 'sw version' is?

BigAid
04-03-2012, 03:38 PM
I believe you just go:

Menu > Setup MMI > Version Information

Mine appears to be P0358 if I'm looking in the right place :)

Photo is from my C7 A6 2011 plate SE model with MMI High Navigation

Yowfailed
04-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Well that was easy! Got me straight away. Got no 'menu' option that I can see on my 3G MMI? Fallen at the first fence :-(

ti rich
04-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Well mine says RMC_EU_P11096 so how does that fit in?? I have standard Nav and a blue collar leadit woth changing to a red lead??

BigAid
04-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Well that was easy! Got me straight away. Got no 'menu' option that I can see on my 3G MMI? Fallen at the first fence :-(

Hi, I don't think it will work for you . If I understand correctly you're in a C6 version of the A6 - with a plate between 04 - 11. This would have a MMI3G. I don't believe that this is compatible with coverflow as this is a feature on the MMI3G+ which I don't believe a C6 MMI3G can be upgraded to..............

The C7 new shape 2011 A6 and other new models in the ranges come with the MMI3G+ - which if you get the Red collar lead will do cover-flow.

BigAid
05-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Well mine says RMC_EU_P11096 so how does that fit in?? I have standard Nav and a blue collar leadit woth changing to a red lead??

As your in a C7 A6 and if you want the Coverflow and the album art work / video capabilities from your apple device..........then yes.........

There is no difference that I can see in the mmi / mmi high in this respect -

if your running music from an sd card loaded with album artwork in the directories do you see Coverflow? / a space for album art if your running your iPhone/iPod from the blue lead?

If you buy one - try it / ask dealer the min MMI3G+ version - if it doesn't work you'll need the MMI upgrade which is covered under warranty I believe

Haven't got round to buying one yet so can't confirm if my version will run it - I'm assuming I'll need an upgrade as mine was an early 2011 plate - with a later version you might be alright

Aid

Yowfailed
05-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Brimming with useful information as always BigAid, thanks very much :-)

BigAid
05-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Hmmm,

being tempted into it now - driving past a dealership later today who've got one in stock so might swing in.........or go to the one close to work............will see if i need an upgrade or not.

Yowfailed
05-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Ah, question is...................upgrade what? Software or Car?

I know which one I could get away with :-)

ti rich
05-03-2012, 03:50 PM
As your in a C7 A6 and if you want the Coverflow and the album art work / video capabilities from your apple device..........then yes.........

There is no difference that I can see in the mmi / mmi high in this respect -

if your running music from an sd card loaded with album artwork in the directories do you see Coverflow? / a space for album art if your running your iPhone/iPod from the blue lead?

If you buy one - try it / ask dealer the min MMI3G+ version - if it doesn't work you'll need the MMI upgrade which is covered under warranty I believe

Haven't got round to buying one yet so can't confirm if my version will run it - I'm assuming I'll need an upgrade as mine was an early 2011 plate - with a later version you might be alright

Aid

I can see the album art via the SD card so I guess in should be just the lead I need.

BigAid
06-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Right tried it in the dealers

My firmware P0358 is too low :(

Not compatible

New showroom car 61 plate with firmware P0518 - worked with my iPhone 4S............

Apparently they want my car for 2 days as they've never done an MMI3G+ update before...........

BigAid
06-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Ah, question is...................upgrade what? Software or Car?

I know which one I could get away with :-)

Car I'm afraid

BigAid
06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Oh looks like its only the cover art and video

I couldn't see a coverflow option when iphone 4s was connected to dealers 61 plate showroom sline

Interestingly there appeared to be a wireless music and i think a Bluetooth options which I don't have currently

Ive got coverflow from the jukebox and assume it would from an sd card in the same way

BigAid
06-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Nice surprise - New lead was £35 for a pack with red collar lead and USB lead

nealeb
07-03-2012, 10:23 PM
The car I picked up in December came with a red lead kit. The replacement car I picked up yesterday came with a blue kit. So I took it back and changed it - the dealer was happy to do a swap out of the stores. Not that I have an iPhone or any interest in the things it seems to allow you to do, but it's the principle of the thing:)

Blackmore Spur
08-03-2012, 12:06 AM
On my C7 2.0 TDi S Line, delivered to me month ago, I had sat nav issue (voice commands kept switching between metric and imperial) so dealer took car in and up graded software - whatever that means! Now on my standard SD based MMI (no touchpad) I have album art and can play films and videos through pop-up screen with red lead. Not earth shattering but nice touch and good fun.

eddiethered
11-03-2012, 09:52 AM
On my C7 2.0 TDi S Line, delivered to me month ago, I had sat nav issue (voice commands kept switching between metric and imperial) so dealer took car in and up graded software - whatever that means! Now on my standard SD based MMI (no touchpad) I have album art and can play films and videos through pop-up screen with red lead. Not earth shattering but nice touch and good fun.

Thanks to the advice here I got the red lead from my dealer but found it doesn't work with the iPod classic at all - a message comes up saying the iPod is not supported. I have to use the blue collar lead for that and the red for my iPhone which then does show album art. Looks like I might have to get an iPod touch!

Blackmore Spur
11-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Same experience; took the car on long blast up the M6 etc from Essex to Liverpool with my son to watch football.... The result was grim but great drive. Red lead did not recognise IPod classic or older iPhone. Thought I would therefore be saved son's music but he worked out that by changing back to blue lead he could still be in car DJ.

Yowfailed
11-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Am I alone in thinking that Audi really do need to get the issues of MMI and AMI sorted out. I have a version that refuses to allow the most basic of function whilst others have to play with both Blue and Red collar leads in order that incredibly expensive and very technical systems work. Whilst I fully appreciate that there are compatibility issues with all technology this is nothing more that software inadequacies, unless of course someone here knows different :-)

nealeb
11-03-2012, 12:41 PM
...nothing more than software inadequacies...

...and the little question of which large organisation must cope with the perceived inadequacies of which! Not to mention the inability of UK mobile phone providers to issue duplicate SIMs for a single number. If they did that, a lot of the current debate would go away and we could just argue about whether we support blue or red! And just how old does a piece of technology have to be before other organisations than its original manufacturer accept that it's effectively out of support? What is Apple's view if you went back and said that you want a software update for an obsolete piece of kit?

eddiethered
11-03-2012, 03:28 PM
And- does anyone know how to search for an album instead of tediously scrolling? I know you can twirl the dial to get it to fast forward but no search option seems silly.

PowerhouseDan
24-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Is it pot luck if you get the Blue or Red with the New car?

Matt482
24-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Mine came with blue lead, before I picked up the I asked the dealer to order me a red. On delivery he handed me a blue lead USB lead and a free packaged red lead

24-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Is it pot luck if you get the Blue or Red with the New car?

Kind of, it just depends which one they pick up for you. My car had a blue collar lead in the packet with the hand over pack. I asked him to swap it for a red one and he did without issue.

johnsimcox
24-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Will be interesting to see how quickly Audi release a "new style" iPhone lead if the rumours turn out to be true that the iPhone 5 will have a 19 pin rather than 1 30 pin socket. On past performance let's hope someone makes a convertor for this and all the other iPod/iPhone peripherals out there.

Westonpark
27-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Sorry guys I've read through all the comments but I can find the answer to my problem.

i have a 2010 q7, will the red cable work in order that I can see coverage?

Guest 2
27-11-2012, 01:27 PM
im not sure that mmi 3g supports album art

iirc its only 3g+

Westonpark
27-11-2012, 01:31 PM
What's the difference between 3G and 3G+ and how do I determine which one I've got?

MFGF
27-11-2012, 01:56 PM
If you have an A6 C7, you need the red collar lead to have album artwork displayed on the screen from your iPod/iPhone. The blue collar lead will still work but you get no graphics and no video playback.

If you specced Tech Pack or HDD nav, you have MMI 3G+, otherwise you have RMC. The AMI module is the same with both, I think. MMI 3G was available on the facelift model A6 C6.

Cheers!

MF.

Edit: I just saw you have a Q7 (2010). I'd bet my hat you have MMI 3G. Blue cable only, if so.

Westonpark
27-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks mf. The q7 has the hdd nav. I can't for the life of me find out what the difference is between the g and the g+.
plike you I think it may be 3G in the q7 but I cant confirm it.

Guest 2
27-11-2012, 02:11 PM
im pretty sure the + didn't come in till mid 2011

easy way - do you have 8 or 4 outer buttons?

3g has 8 and 3g+ has 4 iirc

cjoseph
13-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, so hopefully I'm following protocol correctly. I'm about to take delivery of a newly new Q5, the new facelift one. I'm trying to ascertain whether the MMI Plus will support ipod album cover art and video. I realise you need the red grommet AMI cable and I have a compatible apple device, however I'm getting mixed responses from the dealer as to whether this the Q5 MMI will work or not. Hopefully this forum can answer the question that two dealerships have been unable to agree on.

Thanks

Guest 2
13-05-2013, 04:47 PM
If it's anything like the A6/7 then it will.

I'm pretty sure I read on here, Plus supports Album Art.

abuelbanat
13-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, so hopefully I'm following protocol correctly. I'm about to take delivery of a newly new Q5, the new facelift one. I'm trying to ascertain whether the MMI Plus will support ipod album cover art and video. I realise you need the red grommet AMI cable and I have a compatible apple device, however I'm getting mixed responses from the dealer as to whether this the Q5 MMI will work or not. Hopefully this forum can answer the question that two dealerships have been unable to agree on.

Thanks

Can't see why it wouldn't...... if it's new. Don't rely on the dealer for compete info...... I found the majority of info on here prior to taking delivery of an A6. I also had to correct the dealer when he suggested the red cable wouldn't make any difference in my car as I didn't have the High Tech package - when I knew otherwise.

AdvocateUK
16-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Is there any way to retrofit the 3G+ into my 2009 A6 or upgrade the MMI 3G I have to 3G+?

Hmmmm having said that, if the 3G+ doesn't support my iPod Classic anyway there may be no point. I have far too many tracks to fit onto an iPhone (of any capacity) and am eagerly awaiting delivery of AMI cables from another (very kind) forum member so that I can at least listen to the music on my iPod.

Spent an hour last night copying tracks over from iTunes onto a 16GB SD Card only to discover that MMI 3G doesn't support iTunes native music format. Apparently it only supports MP3 and WMA.

So I'm guessing no video support through the AMI from the iPod Classic either?

johnsimcox
16-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Is there any way to retrofit the 3G+ into my 2009 A6 or upgrade the MMI 3G I have to 3G+?

Hmmmm having said that, if the 3G+ doesn't support my iPod Classic anyway there may be no point. I have far too many tracks to fit onto an iPhone (of any capacity) and am eagerly awaiting delivery of AMI cables from another (very kind) forum member so that I can at least listen to the music on my iPod.

Spent an hour last night copying tracks over from iTunes onto a 16GB SD Card only to discover that MMI 3G doesn't support iTunes native music format. Apparently it only supports MP3 and WMA.

So I'm guessing no video support through the AMI from the iPod Classic either?
This is the wrong forum for a 2009 A6 as that is the C6 platform. AMI is independent of 3G or 3G+ and will support whatever format is on the iDevice so once you have the cable, and it will need to be the Blue Grommet one not the Red for a C6, it should be fine. The C6 does not support video or Album artwork (also on a C7 the iPod Classic does not work with the Red cable so video with that either). As to upgrading from 3G to 3G+ anything is possible if you have the cash, Kufatec do a kit (MMI Navigation Plus - Retrofit - Audi A6 4F w/ MMI 3G-37193 (http://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/Audi/A6-4F/MMI-Navigation-Plus-Retrofit-Audi-A6-4F-w/-MMI-3G)) bit it costs nearly £2500 before fitting. Also not sure that even having upgraded that you will be better off as you only have 10Gb for personal storage on the hard drive and I am not sure it supports iTunes native format either.

Guest 2
16-05-2013, 06:20 AM
Some devices are supported, some not.

I have a 1st Gen Nano in my A3 and it won't work with AMI whereas my iphone will! :(

johnsimcox
16-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Some devices are supported, some not.

I have a 1st Gen Nano in my A3 and it won't work with AMI whereas my iphone will! :(

All devices running iOS are supported with Red Cable and also the last version of the Nano with the 30 pin connector (ie the one before the current generation) but no other iPods are supported with the Red Cable. Would have thought an iPod Nano of any generation would work with the Blue cable as I have used an iPod Mini in my C7 with the Blue cable with no problem

AdvocateUK
16-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I do appreciate this is in the forum for the C7 platform but as it is about the ICE rather than anything else I thought it appropriate to ask the question :-)

Am curious to see exactly what kind of integration I get with my Classic now and what it looks like on screen :-)

Bloater
16-05-2013, 06:29 PM
I got the blue collared lead with mine 2 months ago. Generally use it with my Ipod classic which works ok, but no album art. Have I got the right lead, bit confuzzled at the moment.

Cheers

johnsimcox
16-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I got the blue collared lead with mine 2 months ago. Generally use it with my Ipod classic which works ok, but no album art. Have I got the right lead, bit confuzzled at the moment.

Cheers
You have the right lead. Classic needs the Blue cable and thus does not support artwork or video via AMI

Bloater
16-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Ah right thanks. Am I right in thinking if I want to use an Iphone/Ipod and thus video and artwork that I need the red collared lead for that. If so, might have to sort one, just in case

johnsimcox
16-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Ah right thanks. Am I right in thinking if I want to use an Iphone/Ipod and thus video and artwork that I need the red collared lead for that. If so, might have to sort one, just in case
Yes if you use a device running iOS then you will need the Red Collar cable to get album artwork or to play video. If you have an iOS device with the new Lightening connector then currently Audi do not have a cable and if you use the Apple adaptor it will only support charging and Album Artwork and not video

Passatier3
17-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Just popped into dealers to get the leads that were supposed to have been supplied with the car. Asked for USB and red cable. As per previous post I was told by the sales guy that the red cable may not work as I do not have the Tech Pack but he would find out.

Gave me a blue one anyway (have to order USB and red) and thanks to you guys I will be insisting on the red as well. Cheers.

MFGF
17-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Everything I have read on here indicates that the red cable will work fine for album artwork etc irrespective of whether you have the standard RMC or the optional MMI 3G+ system.

Cheers!

MF.

nickc65
29-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Wondering if you someone could help me on same topic please?

Just come the mostly happy owner of a 2011 A6 C7 SE with Xenon's, 19" alloys, 4 way air con, CD changer, Colour DIS and AMI. After reading the posts I persuaded the dealer to throw in both blue and red leads :-)

I've also noticed that I have the metric/imperial sat nav (it is the SD card version) distance issue on a trip between Devon and Essex, and despite all my efforts I just cannot get video on the screen :-(

I've tried loading this both on an SD card (avi and mov format - says no playable files) and also onto my iPhone 4S (same formats), but the best result I can get is the soundtrack using the iPhone with the blue lead, if i use the red lead I show the device greyed out on the AMI sources screen.

After searching all through the C7 topics, I believe that I need firmware updates - can anyone please tell me if this is one or more updates, and if it is covered by warranty (before it runs out next April).

Many thanks for any advice you can give

Nick

Wuffles
29-08-2013, 08:10 PM
I think you need MMI High with the HD Sat Nav to get video working. I seem to recall reading that before on here, but I could be wrong. What sort of ballpark did you pay for the vehicle if you don't mind me asking?

nickc65
29-08-2013, 08:33 PM
I think you need MMI High with the HD Sat Nav to get video working. I seem to recall reading that before on here, but I could be wrong. What sort of ballpark did you pay for the vehicle if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Wufffles, thanks for the quick response, and I paid £19K for it - comfortable, and twice the mpg i was getting from my Disco 3 2.7V6!!

Wuffles
29-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Right on, ta.

BigAid
29-08-2013, 08:38 PM
MMI version
MMI version (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=703716)

Mine was an early 2011 as its ex demo - found mine didn't work with the Red lead until the MMi. Firmware was flashed.

Check version numbers in other post link and see if that helps.

I'm on K0518_7

Think it changes from P000 (production) to K000 dealer upgraded.

Suggest you ask them to do it at next service - I had to have a 'discussion' to get it done without charge.

nickc65
29-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Many thanks BigAid, and I really hope this isn't a lost cause - Will pull it out tomorrow and post my version for comparison

nickc65
29-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Right on, ta.

Wuffles, do you think I got a reasonable deal? Forgot the heated front seats and picked up with just under 20K on the clock and one years warranty

johnsimcox
29-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Welcome Nick and enjoy the car. I have a 2012 (MY2013) 2.0TDi SE Avant with the standard SD Card Navigation and have video working with both an iPhone 4 and also an iPod Touch 2G. Not saying you do not need a firmware update but try turning the iPhone off and then back on again with the Red cable connected it may sort it

belly buster
29-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Please can someone post pics of the red collar and blue collar leads, ideally side by side, so people know what to look out for when collecting their cars.

Wuffles
30-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Welcome Nick and enjoy the car. I have a 2012 (MY2013) 2.0TDi SE Avant with the standard SD Card Navigation and have video working with both an iPhone 4 and also an iPod Touch 2G. Not saying you do not need a firmware update but try turning the iPhone off and then back on again with the Red cable connected it may sort it

My apologies, I guess I was thinking of getting it working from the SD card, and I'm probably still wrong about that. That's good news for Nick.

johnsimcox
30-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Please can someone post pics of the red collar and blue collar leads, ideally side by side, so people know what to look out for when collecting their cars.
Here you are. The red collar is quite clear in the photo (adjacent to the connector on the RH side of the photo) but the blue one is less obvious as it is quite a dark blue. New owners with the AMI option should get either one of these cables plus a USB cable with the car. Note that you should only ask for the red cable if you are planning to use an iPhone, iPod Touch 2G or later, iPad or an iPod Nano 6G (the square one with touch screen). Latest iPhone, iPad and iPod devices with the new small connector will also allow you to display Album Artwork with the Red cable, but only if use the Apple 30pin to Lightning adaptor and not a cheap "charge only" alternative. You will not be able to play video with these devices, until Audi releases a new cable.

nickc65
30-08-2013, 09:34 AM
Thanks BigAid, and looks like I had the original production version too: -

Do you think that pushing my dealer for an upgrade firmware version will cure the sat nav and video issue?

nickc65
30-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks John, that's a nice easy fix if it works!

Roll on lunchtime... ;-)

nickc65
30-08-2013, 04:24 PM
John, thanks for the tip, but no luck :-( I still think that this could be MMI version related though?

belly buster
30-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Here you are. The red collar is quite clear in the photo (adjacent to the connector on the RH side of the photo) but the blue one is less obvious as it is quite a dark blue. New owners with the AMI option should get either one of these cables plus a USB cable with the car. Note that you should only ask for the red cable if you are planning to use an iPhone, iPod Touch 2G or later, iPad or an iPod Nano 6G (the square one with touch screen). Latest iPhone, iPad and iPod devices with the new small connector will also allow you to display Album Artwork with the Red cable, but only if use the Apple 30pin to Lightning adaptor and not a cheap "charge only" alternative. You will not be able to play video with these devices, until Audi releases a new cable.

Right - so I have AMI (part of tech pack) and an iPhone 4S. so I should ask for the red cable, and I should be given a USB cable anyway?

johnsimcox
30-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Right - so I have AMI (part of tech pack) and an iPhone 4S. so I should ask for the red cable, and I should be given a USB cable anyway?
Yes and you be able to stream any video you have added to your phone via iTunes. Some have also managed to trick the system to stream web content (eg iPlayer) by starting to stream a video and then switching to another video app. Haven't tried this myself yet. If the phone does not connect immediately with the red collar lead, either does not show in list of media sources or is greyed out. Try turning the phone off and then restartng it with the lead connected. Only 6 sleeps to go!!

johnsimcox
31-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks BigAid, and looks like I had the original production version too: -

Do you think that pushing my dealer for an upgrade firmware version will cure the sat nav and video issue?
If it helps the firmware for my my car is RMC_EU_P11474, this relates to a car built in May 2012. You may get more luck getting a firmware update (and map update) because of the navigation issue than the red lead issue as this was introduced after your car was built and they could claim that your car does not support it.

johnsimcox
31-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Yes and you be able to stream any video you have added to your phone via iTunes. Some have also managed to trick the system to stream web content (eg iPlayer) by starting to stream a video and then switching to another video app. Haven't tried this myself yet. If the phone does not connect immediately with the red collar lead, either does not show in list of media sources or is greyed out. Try turning the phone off and then restartng it with the lead connected. Only 6 sleeps to go!!
Have just had a play with this and if you start to watch a video on the MMI screen and then select another app on the attached device which has a video source (eg iPlayer or BBC News website) and start to play that video it does indeed stream through to the MMI screen

nickc65
01-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Car is booked in for the sat nav issue under warranty next Friday - will let you know the firmware version and how much is fixed next weekend - thanks all for your help

Wuffles
01-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Wuffles, do you think I got a reasonable deal? Forgot the heated front seats and picked up with just under 20K on the clock and one years warranty

Soz missed this. I have no idea, I was only asking as I am selling an S-Line at the moment without much success. May end up with We Buy Any Car at this rate, at least it's a few grand more than the dealership would give.

nickc65
02-09-2013, 08:54 AM
no worries, and good luck with selling on

chippy1970
04-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Picking up a new a3 sportback sport soon and wondering what cable should I get with it and will the dealer supply it. I'm not an apple fan so don't need iPod connectivity just usb really.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Guest 2
04-09-2013, 10:49 PM
You'll get an iPod and USB as standard - make sure you get them as some like holding onto them then charging you later on when you realise they're missing!

chippy1970
04-09-2013, 10:56 PM
You'll get an iPod and USB as standard - make sure you get them as some like holding onto them then charging you later on when you realise they're missing!

Cheers Chris

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Olio
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Was given a blue collar + usb last week. According to this topic, I should have had a red one, so I asked for it to be changed and was told they'd post it to me. No reason to believe they won't so far and I expect to receive it in the next few days.

Just don't hesitate to ask for a red one.

LaBamba314
02-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Hey guys, I just purchased a 2014 a5 fully loaded. Does the red cable only come with and work with models A6 and up?

Any input is appreciated.

Bigaid you need to clear some space in your private messages lol...you can't receive anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Guest 2
02-11-2013, 11:30 PM
I believe if you have 3G+ you should be getting the red collar, ask your dealer.

His inbox probably isn't full, you just can't send any until you have 10 posts. Welcome to VWAF.

LaBamba314
03-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Hey Chris, thanks for you're reply.

From what I've read online I have 3G+. I have wifi, google maps, Audi connect. Also from the wiki page I have version P0715...is there a way I can confirm this myself? called my sales guy and he was no help, he had never heard of the red cable. Only the tech package on the a6 and up models have the set with the red cable he said...it would be of no use to me...

BigAid
03-11-2013, 12:17 AM
AFAIK any model which has been refreshed post 2011 would have got the system updated to MMI3G+

It was only added to the A6 then with the new C7 refresh. - A8 had it before that. - As models have been refreshed / updated since then I would have expected them to get the same system and therefore should work with the RED Cable.

BigAid
03-11-2013, 12:35 AM
The A5 was refreshed 2012UK / 2013US and if you've got MMI3G+High which you have then RED lead should definitely work

LaBamba314
03-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys, my sales guy just doesn't know. I have Audi tech corporate looking into getting me the red cable, I'll know results on Monday =p

BigAid
03-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Good luck

Tripletrouble
03-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Really stupid question, but where does that lead plug into? I only have a round 12v socket and a single small phono type socket under the armrest.

Tripletrouble
03-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Looks like I don't have AMI, no where at all to plug that type of lead in, sadly.

johnsimcox
03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Looks like I don't have AMI, no where at all to plug that type of lead in, sadly.
That is indeed the case. It can be retrofitted (my dealer arranged this for me as part of the purchase), Kufatec do a kit. However using the SD card slot in the dash for music/video seems to be the more logical alternative and despite the cards needing to be FAT32 format and thus imposing a 32Gb limit on the card size, there are numerous solutions on line to format a larger card to FAT32 format.

Tripletrouble
03-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Looks that way. I wasn't aware you could play video from an SD card though.

Coddy85
03-11-2013, 10:07 PM
I was given a blue one with my 13 plate with mmi touch. Called the dealer today and he confirmed the red lead should be standard with the mmi touch, he's sending one out gratis and I can keep the blue one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LaBamba314
04-11-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm going to pick up the red lead today, but some research this morning is saying it doesn't work with the new lightning iPhones to play video? Can anyone confirm this?

BigAid
04-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah - afraid so.

You can get the lead - buy an official apple lightening to 30pin adapter and it will work for music/Covers pictures etc but don't believe it will do video until Audi release a new lead.

LaBamba314
04-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Lame =( you try and get the latest tech and it doesn't work out!!!

Another topic...what's up with windows phone being able to read my texts via Bluetooth and iPhone texts go unrecognized =[

johnsimcox
04-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Yeah - afraid so.

You can get the lead - buy an official apple lightening to 30pin adapter and it will work for music/Covers pictures etc but don't believe it will do video until Audi release a new lead.

+1

Guest 2
04-11-2013, 04:59 PM
iPhone doesn't use RSAP whereas the Windows phone does.

LaBamba314
04-11-2013, 05:06 PM
This forum is awesome, I learn something everyday! I just bought my first Audi a month ago (2014 a5) coming from a 2005 jetta gli...so I'm new to all the tech...already removed the VMI restrictions...now I just need some video to play! I was hoping iPhone would be that avenue. Oh we'll

M1tchy
04-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Does anyone have the part number for this new lead please? Just noticed today that my new A7 isn't showing any album art. I will email the dealer with the part number and hopefully they will send one FOC.

M1tchy
04-11-2013, 11:04 PM
I've found it. It's 4F0051510R for anyone else that needs it. Will email the supplying dealer in the morning and see what they say.

omikin
05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi there,

I've got a brand new A6 S Line 2.0TDI arriving tomorrow, and I just wanted to check my understanding from this thread. I've specced the AMI, so I should get a lead with the car - am I right in thinking with it being a brand new car it should come with the red one? Or is it pot luck?

Secondly - if it does come with the red one, that means I cannot use my iPod Classic with it, yeah?

Finally - if I get the blue one, and can use the iPod Classic - what does the screen display look like? Is it unattractive without the artwork or is it fine?

I'm coming from a 4 year old Volvo XC60 so I am excited about the new wheels!

johnsimcox
05-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Hi there,

I've got a brand new A6 S Line 2.0TDI arriving tomorrow, and I just wanted to check my understanding from this thread. I've specced the AMI, so I should get a lead with the car - am I right in thinking with it being a brand new car it should come with the red one? Or is it pot luck?

Secondly - if it does come with the red one, that means I cannot use my iPod Classic with it, yeah?

Finally - if I get the blue one, and can use the iPod Classic - what does the screen display look like? Is it unattractive without the artwork or is it fine?

I'm coming from a 4 year old Volvo XC60 so I am excited about the new wheels!
I think in general you get the Blue lead unless you ask for the Red one, but it probably varies from dealer to dealer as I think the dealer supplies the lead from the Parts Store rather than it being shipped with the car. Whatever option you go for you should also get a USB lead. If you want to use your iPod Classic then you have to have the Blue lead. Here is what you get using the red and the Blue lead when attached to an iPod Touch.

If you decide you really want Album Art then remember if you a re using a newer iDevice with a Lightening Connector then you will need to get a proper Apple 30pin to Lightening adaptor as it requires an Analogue to Digital Convertor Chip which the cheaper adaptors do not have.

Only one more sleep to go until you get the new car. Enjoy it when it arrives

omikin
05-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks for that - confirmed what I thought. Let's see what I get when they deliver it.

Thanks for the illustrations too - doesn't look like missing out on the artwork is such a big deal. If it was full screen I might be more keen to upgrade my iPod!

Yep, only one sleep to go! Then tomorrow afternoon might be a little light on actual work as I spend it testing out the new toy!

Passatier3
05-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks for that - confirmed what I thought. Let's see what I get when they deliver it.

Thanks for the illustrations too - doesn't look like missing out on the artwork is such a big deal. If it was full screen I might be more keen to upgrade my iPod!

Yep, only one sleep to go! Then tomorrow afternoon might be a little light on actual work as I spend it testing out the new toy!

I've tried and failed so far to get album art to display from the SD card, despite some helpful advice from others, but unless I'm using the sat nav I always keep the screen closed anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Will have another go sometime just out of principle. Don't own an I-Pod etc. so haven't tried that.

Tripletrouble
05-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Mine displays fine. I get track, album, artist and to the right a small display of the album art. Do your SD files have all the track information on them, which should include a copy of the album artwork?

Passatier3
05-11-2013, 04:20 PM
As far as I know yes. I even downloaded a programme to check embedding etc. Now that the nights have drawn in and it's almost the end of the riding season I'll have another go.

If all else fails I'll get you to e-mail me one of your album files and I'll do a comparison against mine. And you've only just got your car! :D

Tripletrouble
05-11-2013, 04:23 PM
No probs Chris.

LaBamba314
06-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Hey guys, quick question. I cleared all the memory from my iPod and added a video, the mmi does not recognize any playable files. Is it the format or am I silly in thinking it can play the videos aswell? Let me know, thanks

johnsimcox
06-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, quick question. I cleared all the memory from my iPod and added a video, the mmi does not recognize any playable files. Is it the format or am I silly in thinking it can play the videos aswell? Let me know, thanks

Did you add the video to the iPod (and I am assuming you are using either an iPod Touch 2G or later, iPhone, iPad or iPod Nano 6G - remember iDevices with a Lightening connector will not allow you to play video although they will display album artwork if you use the Apple official 30pin to Lightening adaptor) via iTunes and if so are you able to play the video on the iPod? Assuming that is the case then a couple of points. Firstly is the MMI seeing the iPod? If so then keep selecting "Go Up" until you get to the very top menu which should give you two options Music and Video. Select video and you should be able to access the file. If you do not get the Video option then try powering off the iDevice completely and then restart it with it connected to the AMI, hopefully then the Video option will appear.

LaBamba314
06-11-2013, 04:42 PM
I'll try that at lunch time. This iPod is a 5th gen that was filled with music, it was reading music and album art perfectly. I decided to delete all the music and added a video...and now when it's plugged in, my mmi just says no playable files. And yes I can play the video on my iPod.
I didn't try the go back button, I'll try that swell. Because I know when the music was there I was able to see all the folders.

Thanks guys

Coddy85
17-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Well I have my red AMI cable and have found the my iPod Classic (latest) is now "not supported" won't even play music anymore.

Back to the drawing board, may have to get an older iPod nano/touch or something. It's annoying as I have a large music collection and don't really want to condense what's in the car.

silo24
17-11-2013, 11:00 AM
You need the Blue lead for the iPod Classic.......doesn't display video or album art but plays all music.

That's what i'm using with my 160GB Classic.....

Coddy85
18-11-2013, 09:43 PM
You need the Blue lead for the iPod Classic.......doesn't display video or album art but plays all music.

That's what i'm using with my 160GB Classic.....

Yea I realise, I had to swap my blue one for this red one! It's just bizarre how it doesn't work!

I might grab a 128gb iPod touch instead, or might just buy a blue one as well.

Westyfield2
30-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Has anyone tried the new 'green' AMI lead with the Lightning connector? Part number 4F0 051 510 AD

How does work for videos/album art compared with using the 'red' AMI lead (4F0 051 510 R) and a Lightning to 30pin adapter (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter)?

pumpsmynads
30-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Has anyone tried the new 'green' AMI lead with the Lightning connector? Part number 4F0 051 510 AD

How does work for videos/album art compared with using the 'red' AMI lead (4F0 051 510 R) and a Lightning to 30pin adapter (http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter)?

I've just got mine. I didn't think to check re: artwork. I have the display on satnav all the time anyway. I have the Tech pack but not sure if I have the correct spec to show artwork anyway.

Overall, it charges the phone & it allows me to use steering wheel or MMI to choose tracks etc..

Westyfield2
25-08-2014, 04:15 PM

I've now read that the 'green' AMI lead with Lightning connector (4F0051510AD) has been discontinued and instead its the 'yellow' AMI lead with Lightning connector (4F0051510AL). Anyone tried it?

Pikey Narna
26-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Hi Guys
Please forgive me as this is my first Audi. I have an A6 2012 Avant which only as a 3.5mm jackpoint in the armrest. What is every one on about red/ blue MMI cable ????
I questioned the salesman about our Ipod not going to show all the album/ song info through a 3.5 lead. Our Golf had a mult pin lead.

Thanks in advance
Andy

johnsimcox
26-08-2014, 08:07 PM
Hi Guys
Please forgive me as this is my first Audi. I have an A6 2012 Avant which only as a 3.5mm jackpoint in the armrest. What is every one on about red/ blue MMI cable ????
I questioned the salesman about our Ipod not going to show all the album/ song info through a 3.5 lead. Our Golf had a mult pin lead.

Thanks in advance
Andy
Unfortunately on the Audi you have to spec the Audi Music Interface to get the iPod integration that comes as standard on the many Golfs. The leads discussed here refer to different versions and the support they offer for different Apple devices. You can connect your iPod via bluetooth and stream audio that way but you only get limited functionality via MMI. You can connect the device via the 3.5mm connector but that means no control except via the iPod or you can have the AMI retro fitted, your local Audi dealer probably has someone they use for this. Alternatively you can put your music onto an SD Card and use the spare slot int he dash. Officially this will only go to 32Gb but you can go unto 128Gb if you follow instructions on the internet as to how to format larger cards in FAT32 format. The SD Card option basically behaves in exactly the same way as the iPod would

Pikey Narna
26-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks John. I think we will stick to bluetoothing from Napster as we have this in the house for the Sonos system. Even this I have to get my daughters to help with

johnsimcox
26-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks John. I think we will stick to bluetoothing from Napster as we have this in the house for the Sonos system. Even this I have to get my daughters to help with
and I think to stream stuff like Napster you have to that over bluetooth rather than via AMI which only looks for music in the iTunes folder on the device

Westyfield2
26-08-2014, 10:57 PM
As said by @johnsimcox; to get the AMI you have to tick the option for it (or the Tech Pack which includes it). It should be possible to retrofit the AMI if you didn't chose the option.

AMI is Audi's proprietary interface which has a weird connector. You then buy the official Audi cable to connect it to whatever you want. So I've got an AMI to iPod (30pin) cable. You can instead buy AMI to USB (for connecting a portable hard drive), AMI to micro-USB (for an Android phone), AMI to RCA (for composite video), etc. The various versions of the AMI to iPod cable is what this thread is talking about. Audi have sold different versions of the AMI to iPod cable during the products lifecycle (and MMI software updates), and these are commonly identified by the colour of the 'collar' on the cable rather than the long part number.

It's the same with BMW, their interface uses their own special cables which you have to buy. I found a spare BMW iPod cable sat in my desk drawer at home the other day!
Lexus on the other hand just use a regular USB port, into which you connect a normal iPod cable :cool:. And the USB port is included without any options!

belly buster
27-08-2014, 09:46 PM
If anyone has the lightning MMI lead (iPhone 5S), can they tell me if it is likely to work with a pretty chunky case on the phone. I have the earlier iPhone lead with an adapter; this works ok but I have to take the phone out of the case to use it which is less than ideal.

M1tchy
27-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Fingers crossed I've got one on the way. I've emailed Audi telling them it was unfair to make me pay 60k for a car and then supply me with a cable not suitable for my phone, and then bring it out a year later and expect more cash from me.

They are reviewing my request and will get back to me within a week.

From the pictures I've seen though, the lightening connector looks like it is identical to the size of those found on the apple supplied charger cable, so if that fits, I'd guess the new cable will fit?

Have a look at the pics of some and see what you think. There are loads in eBay but not cheap.

Westyfield2
28-08-2014, 12:55 AM
I doubt it will fit with any cases. There's a pretty big black plastic bit by the connector (where all the clever chip stuff is hidden inside).

http://www.audipartsdirect.co.uk/product/Audi_iPod%7CiPhone_5%7C5S_AMI_Cable_with_Authentic ation_Chip_4F0051510AL

belly buster
28-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Thought laterally and took a stanley knife to the rubber insert on my case. Now fits my adapter like a charm. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

Video is not supported, even with an official (expensive) apple 30 pin to lightning adapter, but audio and charging is fine so that's all that matters.

johnsimcox
28-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Thought laterally and took a stanley knife to the rubber insert on my case. Now fits my adapter like a charm. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner.

Video is not supported, even with an official (expensive) apple 30 pin to lightning adapter, but audio and charging is fine so that's all that matters.
Lack of video support via the Apple 30 pin to Lightening Adaptor is a general thing across all iPod docks and not an Audi specific thing. I believe it should support Album Artwork though.

MikF
10-09-2014, 12:45 PM
So I've just taken delivery of my shiny shiny A6 (not looking at the facelift posts.... ) and have the AMI Lightning cable for my iPhone 5s. All fine except no cover art, Surely I don't need to do a firmware upgrade?
Any advice> What should I be looking at?

Westyfield2
10-09-2014, 12:54 PM
So I've just taken delivery of my shiny shiny A6 (not looking at the facelift posts.... ) and have the AMI Lightning cable for my iPhone 5s. All fine except no cover art, Surely I don't need to do a firmware upgrade?
What firmware is your car currently on? Being a new build, it should already be on the latest!

Which version of the AMI lightning cable have you got? Is it the 'green' AMI Lightning lead (4F0051510AD), or the 'yellow' AMI Lightning lead (4F0051510AL)?

johnsimcox
10-09-2014, 04:29 PM
Try switching the iPhone off and then back on again whilst it is still connected to the AM I cable. Also I presume you see can normally see the album artwork on the phone. when it is not connected

MikF
10-09-2014, 07:01 PM
@Westyfield2 - I have the green lightning lead; software version is RMC_EU_P12321

@johnsimcox - yup; album artwork shows up on the phone just fine, not when its on the MMI . Will try the phone on/off trick. Presume this is a complete power down and back on of the phone?

Thanks for your advice!

roydoshi
10-09-2014, 09:34 PM
The only lead I got was a black lead ,and that too because I asked for a "lead" so i could play wifes Ipod touch songs.There should be a car driveaway kit as standard without having to ask for all this stuff .I also had to ask for 1 pouch of engine oil which was not in the car boot either.This was a brand new car costing over 33K.My car has Tech pack,should I ask the dealer for Red lead?I presume its for Iphone 5 so I can play songs via Media selection.Thanks for your help,
Roy.

Westyfield2
10-09-2014, 10:58 PM
@Westyfield2 - I have the green lightning lead; software version is RMC_EU_P12321

Ah, I don't know about the RMC software versions, I only know the MMI+ numberings, sorry!

The 'green' AMI Lightning lead (4F0051510AD) has been superseded by the 'yellow' AMI Lightning lead (4F0051510AL). I don't know what the difference is, but maybe album artwork is it?

MikF
11-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Cheers - have found a link (http://www.audipartsdirect.co.uk/product/Audi_iPod%7CiPhone_5%7C5S_AMI_Cable_with_Authentic ation_Chip_4F0051510AL) on the interweb that seems to support this:

Part#: 4F0051510AL/Sheath Color: Yellow

Enables the connection of Apple iPods to the AMI. Connected iPods can be controlled through the MMI and multi-function steering wheel.
This Cable will Allow Album Artwork and Video Playback if Connected with the Correct Interface

Please email us your Chassis/VIN Number or Registration Number before you order so we can check this item is correct for your vehicle.
* 4F0051510AL Replaces 4F0051510AD *

Have got in touch with the dealer to see if they will swap this out; will report back anon.

Mik

MikF
12-09-2014, 03:36 PM
So I can confirm that the YELLOW Lightning lead DOES support cover art. Big thumbs up to Leeds Audi for swapping it out.

Westyfield2
12-09-2014, 04:08 PM
Credit where credit is due to the dealer :). Looks like 4F0051510AL is the one for people to get in the future then!

pitch3110
06-10-2014, 09:59 PM
Well I have my yellow one which is showing cover art where I have bothered to download on the SD's but on going up and up I can only find music not movies/videos. Should it pick up movies in photos or not.???? Will it only pick up stuff downloaded off iTunes ??

Ta
Paul

johnsimcox
06-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Well I have my yellow one which is showing cover art where I have bothered to download on the SD's but on going up and up I can only find music not movies/videos. Should it pick up movies in photos or not.???? Will it only pick up stuff downloaded off iTunes ??

Ta
Paul
Yes the AMI will only allow you to select video that has been added to the device via iTunes. However if you select a video that has been added via iTunes and then from the iDevice select another non iTunes video source (stored or if you have a data connection streamed), including iPlayer, it will display that source on the MMI screen

MapMan
10-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Hi

BE Avant with Tech Pack arrived and although I asked for yellow I received a Green lead code 4F0 051 510 AF. No artwork with new IPod Nano. Music OK. Is it me, or has anyone got the Green to work.
PS. BOSE sounds like it has no rear speaker and no Subwoofer shown in sound menu, rather Odd!!

Thanks

pitch3110
15-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Yes the AMI will only allow you to select video that has been added to the device via iTunes. However if you select a video that has been added via iTunes and then from the iDevice select another non iTunes video source (stored or if you have a data connection streamed), including iPlayer, it will display that source on the MMI screen

I still cannot get movies up on the MMI, must be missing something.

paul

johnsimcox
16-10-2014, 06:54 AM
I still cannot get movies up on the MMI, must be missing something.

paul
On your phone or iPod Touch if you open the Video app can you see the films there and play them? If yes then it would suggest either the yellow cable does not support video or the one you have is faulty. I am using an old iPod Touch with the 30 pin connector and the red cable so cannot vouch for the new Lightening cables and what they support

MapMan
04-11-2014, 04:43 PM
In order it save others a bit of frustration or time, having bought an IPod Nano to go with the new wheels, although some Audi dealers suggest the yellow lead will show cover art, in my case it did not. Neither did the Green. As I far as I can make out, Apple lightening cables are unable to feed video, that function was dropped by Apple when moving over from the 30 pin set up. Older IPhones with the 30 pin Red cable can show cover art and presumably video too, new phones and IPads can't.
Although music function was fine with the Yellow and Green cables, album art was missing.
The work around for me is the Red 30 pin lead, Apple 30 pin to lightening adapter, lightening cable feed to IPod.
Works fine. If the yellow lead works for you shout, but it would not for me. One dealer suggested I book he car in an have it looked at, but I don't have the time, the car is less than a month old and the result would be the same.

Woc2002
29-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Hello
i have an 2008b8 a4. Can you point me to the right lead please

thanks 🙏

johnsimcox
29-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Hello
i have an 2008b8 a4. Can you point me to the right lead please

thanks 
I think with a 2008 car you can only use the Blue Collar lead for 30 pin connector iDevice. If you have a later device with the Lightening connector then the Lightening lead may work but you should try before you buy. Failing that use an official Apple Lightening to 30 pin adaptor

Woc2002
29-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Many thanks

i will look out for a blue lead and as it's an iphone 6. The lightening connector

appreciate your reply

Timm29
11-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Hi, please forgive the intrusion on this thread, I am hoping for some advice that hasn't become immediately obvious with a quick scan of the thread. I understand you're all talking about more modern Audis - however I was hoping you guys could help me with my 2010 A6 4F - It has a 3G High MMI system [I think] it has an HDD driven navigation system with DVD player and SD card readers in the glovebox and an AMI connection with 30pin iPod connection cable also located in the glovebox [which I use with an ageing iPod at present]. I would love to be able to connect my iPhone [with lightning adaptor] is this possible? also in an ideal world I'd like to pass video content from my phone through to the MMI screen [when parked of course] however I am not sure if this is at all possible - I have a sneaky feeling the port is audio only but please educate me folks. I have tried multiple video encodes on the SD cards but this too looks like it is Audio only! I know that having the luxury of a DVD player I shouldn't complain, however sadly thats only for properly formatted DVD's and is quite picky over which discs it will play... the iPhone through the AMI port would be so much easier. Apologies for the rambling, hopefully you can understand my frustration and confusion so any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks ;)

Westyfield2
19-06-2017, 12:11 PM
The later AMI cables in this thread might work. But you will probably need an MMI firmware update.