PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wrapping to dechrome

darich
05-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey.........

I bought some vinyl wrap from ebay and today tried to wrap my grille chrome edging.

My first thought was to try and cut a piece large enough to allow me to do the whole thing without a joint....but when I sat down to try that, it appeared nigh on impossible (for a novice like me anyway).

So I resigned myself to have a joint or two. I figured I could get a clean cut and make the joint almost invisible.

What a nightmare it was to try and wrap even just the top part of the grille. First time I got a load of wrinkles at the ends where the chrome turns down the way. So I thought I'd dodge that problem by having a couple of joints....but again....a nightmare to get the stuff to sit properly, and stick without wrinkling and bubbling.

I admit I'm making it slightly harder by trying to do it with the grille fitted to the car but I really don't have the facilities or knowledge to remove the bumper and grille.

I even tried to cover the chrome trim on my rear bumper and it was tricky too - trying to get it under the protruding bodywork and not stick to the chrome until it's in position is difficult.

Is the problem that it's too cold? and making the wrap less pliable and elastic?

Or is it just me being hamfisted and inexperienced?

Any tips?..apart from the obvious of remove the grille which is not really something I want to tackle.

Cheers

Macdoon
05-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Hey.........

I bought some vinyl wrap from ebay and today tried to wrap my grille chrome edging.

My first thought was to try and cut a piece large enough to allow me to do the whole thing without a joint....but when I sat down to try that, it appeared nigh on impossible (for a novice like me anyway).

So I resigned myself to have a joint or two. I figured I could get a clean cut and make the joint almost invisible.

What a nightmare it was to try and wrap even just the top part of the grille. First time I got a load of wrinkles at the ends where the chrome turns down the way. So I thought I'd dodge that problem by having a couple of joints....but again....a nightmare to get the stuff to sit properly, and stick without wrinkling and bubbling.

I admit I'm making it slightly harder by trying to do it with the grille fitted to the car but I really don't have the facilities or knowledge to remove the bumper and grille.

I even tried to cover the chrome trim on my rear bumper and it was tricky too - trying to get it under the protruding bodywork and not stick to the chrome until it's in position is difficult.

Is the problem that it's too cold? and making the wrap less pliable and elastic?

Or is it just me being hamfisted and inexperienced?

Any tips?..apart from the obvious of remove the grille which is not really something I want to tackle.

Cheers

The No1 tip......Use a hairdryer...it's a must, makes it really pliable, much easier to use. I removed the grille to do mine, but using the hairdryer allowed the flexibility to only have one join at the bottom....hope this helps fella.

Mac

darich
05-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks Mac

Couple of questions then.......
1 - I've got a roll approx 600-700mm wide but something like 10m long. Would the hairdryer allow me to cut a long strip and bend it around the corners without wrinkles?
2 - Is it easy to remove the bumper? It would be easier to do the work in the warmth of the house rather than the cold of the driveway....unless I wait till spring/summer!!
3 - how did you tuck the vinyl under the top edge of the chrome? I cut a vertical slit and managed to get it inside the grille but I wondered if there was a better way?
4 - do you have any photos of your car after you did it?

Thanks!!!

Macdoon
05-02-2012, 08:13 PM
1.I basically cut a piece large enough to lay over grille then cut the inner out, used the hairdryer to warm the vinyl making it easy to mould to the contours of the grille, took awhile as I went slow to make it right, although i did peel back a bit then redo.
2. http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/298674-DIY-Front-Bumper-Removal I used this & had a mate help, took about 20mins to remove.
3. I didn't tuck it under the grille at the top, I overlapped the chrome the carefully used a scalpel antrimmed the excess.
4. pics >>
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/Macdoon/BlackBadgepics007.jpg
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/Macdoon/morecarpics008.jpg
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/Macdoon/carbon1.jpg
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/Macdoon/carbon2.jpg
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee435/Macdoon/carbon3.jpg

After doing the grille I did the interior the same colour...looks great all round.

Hope this helps mate.

Mac

darich
05-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Mac

yours looks brill....and defintely makes want to persevere with it.

My car is black and I originally was going to use matt black wrap, but then I saw a black car with gloss black and thought it looked great so I've got some of that wrap too.
My idea was also like you started - a large sheet and cut out the inner.
I expect it would be a ton easier if I can get into different angles and positions with the grille off. Also with the warmth of the house it must surely be easier.

I also found that link and just spent the last half hour copying the text and all the pics into a word document for ease of reference.

Is removal of the bumper feasible for one man?
I expect removing would be easier than refitting....yes?

many thanks for the replies and pics!!

I've taken a "before shot" so when I get it done I have a comparison

Macdoon
05-02-2012, 09:01 PM
lots of peeps have done it on their own, I just had a mate help as it was gonna be easier.
Good luck, looking forward to the pics.

darich
05-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Cheers Mac

Will maybe have a look at trying again next weekend.
If I manage it I'll post a few photos.

gaz1965
08-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Just had a thought :Blush: all you guys with the milky window trims, easy fix chrome vinyl wrap.

darich
08-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Just had a thought :Blush: all you guys with the milky window trims, easy fix chrome vinyl wrap.

erm...and the point of this thread is.....??
:-p

gaz1965
08-02-2012, 08:12 PM
erm...and the point of this thread is.....??
:-p

I know you are looking to dechrome. I can read.

But there is a problem discussed on this forum with guys who want to bring the chrome window trims back to a new look. just pointing out a possible solution ;)

Big G star
11-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I did my grill in ine piece of black vinyl.its a lot easier with the surround off the car and separated from the grill. Also did my filler plate and they match up almost perfectly to the cars colour. Ive done my interior bits in carbon wrap and the rear boot chrome bit thingy! Was easy to remove just pops off with a bit of gentle persuasion.
Wrapping is easy if you take your time and be patient when getting around the curves. A hairdryer and a very sharp scalpol is a must!

Big G star
11-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Heres a couple of quick pics will get some decent ones when i get a chance.

darich
11-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Every car I see that's had the wrapping done, it makes me want to do mine even more.

But going by my last attempt, I'll make a complete ar$e of it. I'm really not sure about removing the bumper and grill, and I think doing it in the summer when it's warmer would be far easier.

I got a quote for it ages ago and it was something like £250 to do my grill, window trims and tailgate......I like the look, but not that much!!

Big G star
11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Only did my grill surround off the var as i had a spare one lying about. Did most of my wrapping indoors, but next on my list is the window surrounds and will have to do it outside so ill see how it goes.
Heat the vinyl up with the hairdryer and it becomes really soft and can be streched around the curves which will get rid if any creases. Give it another bash, maybe try to do some smaller parts first to get used to how the vinyl can be manipulated when heated up.
It was my first attemp at wrapping too when i did my grill surround and interior bits.

darich
11-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Big G

you're probably right....I'll try the tail gate first.....it should be easier.
I did find it tricky to get the vinyl under the lip without it sticking to the silver part though.

I bought a roll of matt vinyl so I think that'll look good round the windows. Gloss black for the grill and tailgate

Big G star
11-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Darich
Thats what im gona do with my window surrounds too, matt black. Just waiting for better weather to give it a bash

Macdoon
11-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Darich

Really it's not that difficult fella, just take your time, really warm it up with the hardryer, and it will fit nicely, after doing my grille & boot chrome strip, i moved straight on to the interior, doing all the inlays, gear surround & ashtrays, looks great (although just picked up my new RS4 black optics grille)

Mac