PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise on starting from cold

cairncastle
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Re-post as put in wrong forum:o

Have A4 2.0T Quattro 2007 with 65k. Recently getting a 'knocking' noise from back of engine from cold start. Lasts for 3 - 4 mins then goes away. Engine runs smoothly and warm starts give no noise. Suggested oil sludge, so flushed with STP & changed oil & filter - made no difference. Also oil warning light does NOT come on and 'self check' on dash goes through everything and gives 'OK' so no prob with oil pressure when driving. Beginning to think either oil is 'leaking' back down into sump during night & takes 3 - 4 mins on cold start to get back up again OR perhaps nothing to do with Oil at all and something more 'mechanical' - all ideas welcome!:confused:

warp_speed
06-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Re-post as put in wrong forum:o

Have A4 2.0T Quattro 2007 with 65k. Recently getting a 'knocking' noise from back of engine from cold start. Lasts for 3 - 4 mins then goes away. Engine runs smoothly and warm starts give no noise. Suggested oil sludge, so flushed with STP & changed oil & filter - made no difference. Also oil warning light does NOT come on and 'self check' on dash goes through everything and gives 'OK' so no prob with oil pressure when driving. Beginning to think either oil is 'leaking' back down into sump during night & takes 3 - 4 mins on cold start to get back up again OR perhaps nothing to do with Oil at all and something more 'mechanical' - all ideas welcome!:confused:

Don't think you have any oil problems, I would suggest a clutch or dual mass flywheel problem. They are made of toffee in the 2.0TFSI engines.... well I think they are, had my one replaced by a dealer twice and in the morning after its been sitting it sounds like a wheel bearing is gone as there is a rumbling sound, however after 5 mins of driving the noise is gone and doesn't appear until the following morning or after its been sitting for hours.... Anyway that's my story.

My money would be on the DMF. You need to get the car in a ramp and underneath when the cars cold and you will hear the knocking underneath near the bell housing. The noise disappears once the clutch/DMF heats up and expands, takes up any slack in the mechanism. Anyway just my suggestion.

cairncastle
07-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks, beginning to look that way as can't understand why there is no oil leak, oil warning light nor pressure warning. Hopefully will get to bottom of it in next few weeks but am really annoyed as car hasn't excessive mileage for year, been serviced at every interval, i'm not a 'rally driver' (live on a hill which is a real pain in ice and snow but didn't want a 'Jeep' so went for quattro) and just had timing belt changed at last service - even though not due for another 5k miles. Had coil pack changed and prob with oil breather valve replaced. Me thinks Audi not so reliable after all and next change may be Subaru Legacy 5 door 4x4.

Don't think you have any oil problems, I would suggest a clutch or dual mass flywheel problem. They are made of toffee in the 2.0TFSI engines.... well I think they are, had my one replaced by a dealer twice and in the morning after its been sitting it sounds like a wheel bearing is gone as there is a rumbling sound, however after 5 mins of driving the noise is gone and doesn't appear until the following morning or after its been sitting for hours.... Anyway that's my story.

My money would be on the DMF. You need to get the car in a ramp and underneath when the cars cold and you will hear the knocking underneath near the bell housing. The noise disappears once the clutch/DMF heats up and expands, takes up any slack in the mechanism. Anyway just my suggestion.