PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plugs

The Technician
01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Hi all,

Just had my 2005 2.0TDI SE (140) (122000 miles) serviced, and on the health check they say there are faults stored regarding the glow plugs, my question is does that mean they are due to be changed, and how much does this cost?, its starts still as if it was a new car :biglaugh: or is it ok just to leave it at the moment!

Cheers :D

nevo
03-02-2012, 03:23 AM
They've probably seen the current draw is down indicating one or more plugs are duff,the tips can disintegrate with age,so its probably a good idea to change the four,just be careful removing them,and don't crossthread them!

Brycie
03-02-2012, 03:57 AM
1 or 2 glow plugs requiring replacement shouldn't make a huge difference normally, which is why you've not had any problems firing the old girl up, you'd be able to put it off til it was convenient (financially) to take care of it. However you may start getting problems if the temperature drops to -10 like the forecasters are saying.

So I guess it depends on your circumstances - if you can get them changed and being unable to start the car in extremely cold temperatures would cause major problems with work, do change them. If this is a tight month and you can take the chance of being off work in Arctic-like conditions, thrn take a chance. Personally I'd take a chance & put it off if my car had been starting perfectly in the freezing conditions we've had the last few days.

The Technician
04-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the advice, I think I will wait till finances are better, as I do not use the car for work and it has been starting fine in the cold weather we have been having :-)