PDA

View Full Version : Question Where is my mk6 jetta really from?

rawcpoppa
30-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Ordered a 1.4 tsi mk6 jetta. Built in 2012 and I was told by my dealer that it's on its way to Germany before being delivered to Trinidad in the Caribbean where i ordered it. I was under the impression that all mk6 jettas were built in Mexico so how come it's going to Germany?

I also got a vin: WVWZZZ16ZCM****** which implies that my car is from VW Germany but built in Mexico.

Shouldn't my vin start with 3VW as it's built in Mexico? Would it make sense to ship a vehicle to Germany to fit the engine or to complete it's construction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crasher
30-01-2012, 11:18 PM
It is made in Mexico then shipped to Germany for rectification and inspection and then despatch to European importers.

rawcpoppa
30-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Is this why my vin begins with W and not 3?

I gather this inspection is done for all euro specced jettas? That is all euro jettas for the entire world are made in Mexico, shipped to Germany and then sent to their respective purchasing countries?

Any idea why my vin doesn't tell me anything about engine, passenger restraint etc?

Are jettas shipped from Veracruz in Mexico to Emden in Germany for inspection? Or do they go all the way to Wolfsburg? Would the Jetta be shipped out of Emden after inspection? Logistically doesn't it make more sense to inspect my jetta in Mexico and ship it to Trinidad in the Caribbean where I preside as it's closer?

Also what does rectification mean in this instance?

Alot of questions I know but I find this intriguing and info on this matter is scarce. If possible please feel free to point me in the direction where I can find the answers myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodaire
07-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I also would like to know how to decipher the VIN on my 2011 Jetta. Bletchley Park ayone ?

Crasher
07-02-2012, 11:17 PM
It’s very boring to some but not to me and don't get me started on PR codes, ooh I have come over all odd. Anyway its not like American cars of old where you could tell a lot from the chassis number. The first 6 digits are the manufacturer such as WVW, Volkswagen, WAU = Audi, TRU = AUDI HUNGARIA MOTOR Kft, TMB= Skoda, VSS = Seat and there are more with the (not always) ZZZ bit is an infill then the next, say 1K is the type (well sort of, this can get confusing as a Golf 5 is a 1K and a type 1K but a Golf 6 is 1K but a type 5K) and then the next digit is usually an infill again, then year (9 = 2009, A=2010 etc.) then the plant such as W for Wolfsburg then the cars individual serial number.

Stuart posted this back when he was a teenager

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?12454-quot-How-To-quot-Check-your-Vin-Number-options-list-insurance-and-more

rawcpoppa
08-02-2012, 06:25 PM
When I started this thread I hadn't even considered PR codes. I made my way to Erwin and plugged in my vin and got more info than I wanted at the time including PR codes with descriptions too. My favourites so far are

"0EG - Installation differentiation for twin-clutch gearbox DQ 200 Vehicle components",
"0Y2 - Tropical Zones",
"B63 - Special requirements the Caribbean (Jamaica, Haiti, Cuba, Trinidad and Tobago, Dominican Republic)" and
"L07 - Suspension range 07 installation control only, no requirement forecast".

Decoders give the same descriptions as above but I wish I could find out what these specific ones meant. It's something to do in the mean time while my car visits more countries than I have before it gets here ;(